How Dark Is the Night?

All Slayers Are Not Alike

“What do you mean that your watcher is dead?” Pete asked Kat. Everyone was in shock. No wonder she had no place and was sent to find me.

“We were in battle and I wasn’t ready to fight the big vampire yet. I didn’t catch his name but he was after me. Apparently there are two head vampires. You kill them both and there are no more vampires. Technically when you killed Dracula, you wiped all the vampires he made, out. But that left the one I was fighting and everyone he had turned. This dude grabs me and is about to bite me when Elise stabs the vampire in his shoulder making him release me.” Kat said getting teary eyed.

“I never was scared for my life but I was at that moment. This dude was so much more powerful then me and stronger then Dracula. At least that is what he had said to me when he had a hold of me. He wanted to kill me and seek out the one who killed Dracula. Elsie had warned me as we were fighting off his goons before he ended up getting me that I needed to find you, Amanda. You would help finish my training and make me a stronger slayer. I had already known about you from your journals and where to find you through my dreams.” Kat said.

“I don’t mean to intrude on your happy life. Believe me this wasn’t my plan. When the big vampire let me go he had grabbed Elsie. She screamed for me to run which I did. As I made it to the end of the street to get away, I turned and saw Elsie get stabbed in the chest with the stake she used to save me and turn to dust. I just kept running until I found a safe place to hide until daylight. Then I took what money I had at my apartment and left telling my parents not to worry I was traveling the world.” Kat finished.

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry.” I said getting up off the couch and going over to her to hug her. “I know what it is like to lose a watcher and a friend. I lost two; my dad and my friend Nick.” I said seeing if I could get her to crack on what she had dreamed last night.

“Oh, um, Nick, yeah, I uh, read about him in your journal too. You dated him when you were in high school, right?” She asked fidgeting in her chair now as I sat back down by Pete. I was watching her every move. Something was up.

“Nick came to her in her dreams to warn her of things after he died.” Erelin chimed in knowing something was off with Kat as well.

“Really?” Kat asked innocently.

“Do you have dreams of things? Every slayer has dreams of things they are warned about. Has Elsie come into your dreams since she passed?” I asked with Pete looking at me. He knew where I was heading at with my questions.

“Actually, I have a family member who has talked to me about things. I think you know them.” Kat said.

“Oh and who would that be?” I asked.

“Let me say this. I can’t believe you don’t recognize me.” Kat said getting everyone’s attention.

“Ok, now you are worrying me. How would I know you? I’ve never met you. You said you came from New York City.” I said confused now.

“I used to live in Florida. Clearwater to be exact but it was years ago.” Kat said staring at me.

“Ok, Kat I am starting to think you are delusional and have read too many journals of mine.” I said getting up.

“I’m not crazy if that is what you are implying. I am Katherine Grayson. Nick’s younger cousin. You see slayers run in our family too.” Kat said.

“Katherine? Oh my, I didn’t recognize you. You were only eleven when…” I trailed off.

“I know it’s been awhile.” She said.

“And you talk to Nick? I heard you in your sleep call his name as I checked on you but I didn’t know who you were calling.” I said.

“Nick told me about you too. He is alright. He is at peace.” Kat said to me.

“Why didn’t he come into my dreams and tell me you were coming? He owed me at least that or an explanation as to why I am not a slayer any more.” I said getting a little upset.

“I can’t answer that.” She said.

“You tell him I want some answers as to why he didn’t tell me about this and why all of us went through what we went through.” I said a little pissed.

“He still loves you, you know.” She said to me a little funny.

“Things didn’t work out between us.” I said looking at my wedding ring from Pete.

“You could have tried.” She said getting cocky and pushing my patience.

“Hey, that was out of line.” Brendon said giving her a dirty look.

“I’m not sorry for saying it. You broke Nick’s heart, Amanda. You two were perfect for each other.” Kat said.

“Ok, I think I have heard enough.” Pete said.

“You don’t have all your facts straight. I did love him. Things didn’t work out.” I said getting up and walking to the kitchen to blow some steam.

“Maybe it is because you don’t know how to love. I love my cousin. He was always good to me when I was a kid. You gave him hope when you came back to Florida to search for the truth. But you chose Pete instead. That is why you lost Nick and you lost your parents.” Kat said trying to start trouble.

I walked over to her and smacked her across the face. I was ready to go at it with her. I was tired of her mouth. And I didn’t want to train her. I wanted her out of my sight. I had all of the info I needed.

“No, Amanda, Let it go.” Pete said giving Kat a mean look and pulling me away from her.
“You know nothing about my parents! So what if I don’t have rich parents like you who you can tell lies to and they believe you. I loved my mom and dad and they loved me. Look at how you treat yours. You couldn’t tell them the truth? Were you afraid they would ship you to the nuthouse? I lost my dad and never got to say goodbye to him but he died trying to protect me. My mom died fighting Dracula. You don’t know what it is like to be ripped away from her at an early age. You don’t know what it was like growing up without your parents!” I said pointing at Kat and tears starting to fly.

“I’m not capable of love and yet I rid the world of Dracula. You are pathetic and naïve. I loved Nick with all my heart but Nick chose not to be with me. By the time we found our way back to each other it was too late. Did you forget that I died for a few seconds because of Nick? No, I bet you didn't read that in my journal! Pete, my husband, has been good to me and mended my broken heart. Nick made me believe he was dead all these years so who loves who now? Ask your precious cousin about that!” I said grabbing my keys and my ipod off the kitchen counter.

“Amanda, wait! Where are you going?” Pete asked following me to the door.

“I need to go out. I need air. I don’t want to see Kat’s face right now. I’m sorry for leaving Brendon and Erelin.” I said walking out the door and getting into my car. Pete knew to leave me alone for awhile.

I wanted to cry and scream so I drove to Lookout Pointe. I pulled into the spot Pete first took me to up here where he jumped off the cliff. It was our spot now to come and think alone or to make out which was nice. I guess not anymore, however with vampires roaming around.

I got out of my car and turned on my ipod. I did some running up and down the big hill. Finally I ran back up to my car and faced the woods. Something drew my attention to them.

I walked over to them and sat one foot inside. I had a bad feeling about them. Then it dawned on me. These were the same woods from my dream. They are the ones where I kept on running from someone. Now the question is what kind of dreams am I having and do I tell Pete? I lost all of my slayer abilities didn’t I?