How Dark Is the Night?

Nightmares Are Only As Real As You Want Them To Be

Other than the fact that the nurses would come in every few hours and wake me up to check on me and take my blood for tests, I was sleeping pretty good. I was curled up in this tiny, hospital bed with Pete holding me. You would think that the position I was in would hurt my side more but I guess that was what the morphine is for; the pain.

Pete refused to sleep in a chair. He wanted me to lay my head on his shoulder and fall asleep so he could protect me and keep me safe. I laughed at that because how was he protecting me? It felt nice though and I wasn’t complaining that we were having some warm, fuzzy moments again. Pete was bound and determined to wait on me hand and foot since I was hurt.

The next thing I knew from the last nurse coming in to check on me was that it was almost ten am but I was still sleepy. I curled into Pete a little more and finally fell asleep again. But I awoke not soon after from a nightmare I know all too well.

“Stupid Amanda. It’s just a dream. Volkmar cannot hurt me anymore.” I said aloud.

I awoke, sitting up in the bed and grabbing my side from moving too fast, from a nightmare like the one I had after Natasha and Beckett had those twin goons almost kill me those months ago. Only this time it was my battle with Volkmar. I needed to get a grip.

I knew I would defeat him. It was just a dream. I defeated those goons so I knew I had nothing to fear about Volkmar. I think my emotions and thoughts temporarily were getting to me. I sighed and told myself that this was not going to be a recurring thing to have these nightmares. I looked over at Pete who didn’t seem to wake up from my nightmare experience.

He appeared to be in a deep sleep and he was starting to shake a bit. His right hand twitched and moved. I grabbed it and held onto it for a second watching him start to move hs head from side to side.

“Oh, Pete, what are you dreaming? Are you having a nightmare too?” I whispered as I let go of Pete’s hand and kissed his forehead. It temporarily calmed him but not for long. I pulled back his bangs out of his face a bit and kissed his lips.

As I layed back down on his shoulder, Pete grabbed my left hand with his right and I quickly fell back asleep. Only this time I was sucked into his nightmare. I didn’t like what I saw.
I saw Pete with me, or dream me I should say because I could see everything he was dreaming. We were fighting and arguing over what I couldn’t hear. Pete apparently didn’t know I was sucked into his dream because he never saw I was here.

Then Pete’s face changed. His faced changed not into normal vampire mode but into a monster vampire face like what Dracula and Volkmar have turned into. He let the bad vampire win and come out in him and he grabbed dream me and held me against a wall.
Dream me was trying to fight him off but lost. Pete had pinned me against the wall and bit my neck forcefully, draining me of all my blood. When he let go, I fell onto the ground. Pete had killed dream me. He turned and licked his lips with a smile.

Then the next thing I knew I was waking up again from Pete sitting straight up in the bed in a sweat. I sat up and asked him, “Pete, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Just a dream.” He said shaking and not looking at me.

I knew he didn’t know he had sucked me into his dream and I wasn’t about to tell him what I saw. I wanted him to tell me about his dream. And I wanted to tell him it was just a nightmare. I knew Pete would never hurt me. Never. I bet my life on it.

“Pete, you are shaking. It must have been some dream.” I said touching his shoulder. He shrugged me off and quickly got out of my hospital bed.

I went to say something else but Brendon popped in my room interruptong my thoughts. I then saw Pete hurry past Brendon to get out of my room. I just shook my head and knew Pete was bothered by this dream.

“Is everything alright? Did I interupt anything?” Brendon said turning towards the door like he was about to go and get Pete.

“No.” I said upset but then smiling because Brendon was here.

“Are you sure?” He asked holding a bag in his hand.

“Yes. Ooh what did you bring me?” I asked starving.

“Well, since it after one pm, I thought I would sneak you in some lunch seeing how bad the food is here.” He said laughing.

“What is it?” I said trying to reach for the bag but Brendon holding it away from me.

“Not so fast. You tell me what just happened a few minutes ago and you can have your surprise lunch.” He said teasing me.

“Not fair but I am hungry so I guess you win.” I said motioning him to sit on the end of my bed.

He handed me the bag and sat down on the bed. “Ooh, you brought me two chicken salad sandwhiches and a slice of chocolate pie from the diner.” I said as I peered into the bag.

“Yes, I know those are your favorite things. You always get them when we all eat there and I brought you two of their big sandwhiches because you are eating for two now.” He said smiling. “Now, tell me why Pete took off in such hurry and wouldn’t even look at you.” He said with me frowning.