How Dark Is the Night?

Thanks For The Ability

“What do you mean that Kat is dead?” Pete asked me as he sat me back down on the bed and started to wipe away my tears.

I clung to Pete and whispered in his ear, “Volkmar killed her. I saw it in my dream. Then I felt this most excruciating pain. It was worse then when I first became the slayer. This is serious, Pete. She is dead and it is all, my fault.”

“Amanda, listen to me.” Pete said making me face him.

“Pete, she is dead. What more can I say?” I asked.

“I didn’t say anything after I told you to listen to me.” Pete asked confused.

“Yes you did. You said that it was just a dream I had but I know it happened or I wouldn’t have felt the pain I had.” I replied.

“Amanda, I didn’t say that out loud. I thought that. You can read my mind?” Pete asked.

“I can?” I asked blinking then hearing his voice in my head again.

“Stop it, Pete!” I yelled.

“You can read my thoughts.” Pete said.

“Pete, you are scaring me. How can I read your thoughts?” I asked confused.

“Ever since Volkmar bit me I have had the ability to read your thoughts and other vampires if I am around them. You on the other hand have blocked your thoughts from me lately. I must have passed my ability to you somehow when I bit you.” He explained.

“I don’t like it. Make it stop. How do I tune you out of my head?” I asked.

“I guess the same way that you block me when I am trying to read yours.” Pete grinned.

“But how do I even do that? Wait, I’m usually mad at you when you do this aren’t I?” I asked.

“Just focus on that and you might be able to tune me out.” Pete said.

It worked. I was no longer hearing Pete’s voice in my head. This was weird but cool. So at any time I wanted I could tune into what Pete was thinking and block my thoughts from him.

“Pete, this was in my dream too. I could hear other vampires’ thoughts and I heard Volkamar’s thoughts. How do I explain to Kat’s parents that she is dead?” I asked.

“We won’t just yet. At least until we know for sure. Amanda, we will find Kat.” Pete said trying to calm me.

“You don’t believe me? Pete, I am telling you I saw it. I saw him kill her. This is not a, what could happen dream. This was a dream showing me it happened.” I said.

“Ok, if you are sure, but we will still find her and Micah, wherever Volkmar has her body and Micah stashed.” Pete said trying to reassure me but to no avail.

“I know what I saw.” I said as he pulled me close.

I was quiet for the next few hours. When Pete’s mom came home from work, I barely even spoke a few words. She dropped Pete and I off at the airport and she was careful to keep
Pete covered until we made it inside the airport.

When we boarded the plane and sat down in our seats, Pete tried to keep talking to me. I just gave him a look and leaned back into my seat. Of course, I was going to blame myself. It is my fault that Volkmar has Kat. I did not train her well. Maybe, I could have talked to her more when she was angry with me. I just do not know anymore. Everything seems to be my fault.

I blocked Pete out of my mind so he would not know what I was thinking. Of course that left him off the hook because when he thought I was sleeping, I read his thoughts. He was even more worried about me then before. He did not feel the pain I felt. When a slayer dies and a new one is called, you have pain, pain that knocked me out of my seat at prom. This was ten times worse then that.

I would not forget about this. I will get revenge on Volkmar if it takes me breathing the last breath I have in me. I will find Micah and I will find where he has stashed Kat’s body. Just thinking about that makes me shudder at the thought.

Our plane landed somewhere I was not sure. I am positive that Pete told me as we switched planes to get to L.A. but I did not pay any attention. I just wanted to get home, crawl in my bed, and cry myself to sleep. It was my fault Chrissy and Sam were bitten on my wedding day, my fault Pete and Erelin were turned and, my fault that Brendon had to be turned by Erelin. Now, it was my fault that Kat was dead. If only I had woke up and realized my job was not complete. Why did I have to feel I wanted to be normal again?

I barely spoke to Pete. I was in a zombie like state. I think I was hurting Pete for him to see me in so much pain. My pain, will be released when Volkmar is dead and I rid the world of all vampires whether I die in the process or not. I am the slayer and it is my job to protect people; especially those I love. I must be the worst slayer imaginable.

We arrived in L.A., and had a cab take us to Patrick’s place. Everyone was to gather and wait for us to arrive. It was late and I did not want to face everyone and tell them, that Kat died and that I was to blame.

“Amanda, try to be happy. We will break the news to them but let them have their say first. I know they have a lot to tell us.” Pete said squeezing my hand as we knocked on the door.

“Yay, you are back!” Sam said as she opened the door. I took one long look at everyone and sighed. I did not want to be here to face everyone.