Loser, Whatever!

Guilt

“That was a wonderful meal, Helen.” I stated when I had finished the last of my salad accompanied by pork steaks and mashed potatoes. I wiped the corners of my mouth with the cloth napkin that lay in my lap.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it!” Helen replied with a smile. Rick, who was sitting beside me, grabbed my hand from under the table and gave it a squeeze.

“Are you ready for desert?” She asked.

“I don’t know if I can eat anymore!” I exclaimed. She laughed.

“Once you see what it is, you’ll make room for it!” She chuckled. The maid came out from the kitchen again and cleared all the places with a wave of her wand. Then decadent looking deserts appeared on every plate. It was a creamy ice cream sort of thing with caramel sauce drizzled on top, “It’s called Creme Caramel.”

“It looks delicious!” I said and picked up my fork once she had. I read somewhere that it was polite to wait until the hostess had picked up her fork to start eating. I took a bite and it melted on my tongue. It wasn’t cold like ice cream; I didn’t really know how to describe it.

“What do you think?” Rick still hadn’t let go of my hand and wasn’t making any complaints about having to eat left-handed.

“It’s really good!” I replied, I couldn’t think of how else to describe it. True to Helen’s word, I managed to find space in my already full stomach for the desert.

I regretted it later on that night.

Christmas was a few days later and I had my best dress laid out. It was a red strapless; floor-length gown made of silk and flared the tiniest bit so it didn’t stick to my skin. I wouldn’t be able to bear it if it clung to my hips. From some of the clothes I had seen on Mr and Mrs Stewart, I knew I would still be underdressed.

Sure enough, when I got downstairs, Helen was decked out in a gorgeous white, floor-length dress with long sleeves. There was embroidery all over the dress that sparkled in the light and it made her look like the Queen of England! She wore diamonds on her throat and wrists and I was conscious of the fact that I had no jewelry on. Rick and Joseph wore the best dress robes money could buy and I wondered why Christmas was such a big deal to get dressed up here. If I were at home, which was still in England, I would probably just wear a comfortable old sweater and jeans. Rick had said that Christmas was a very big deal at his house, and now I knew exactly how much of a deal it was.

“You look lovely, Bridgette dear!” Helen exclaimed and pulled me into a hug.

“You look gorgeous.” I replied, “And don’t you look dashing, Rick.” I winked.
He smiled and crossed the floor to kiss me gently. He was careful not to get too rough with his parents around.

“Presents!” Helen called and I turned to find her posed in front of the tree with a brightly wrapped gift in her arms. Rick and I took a seat on the couch beside the tree and he wrapped his arm around my waist, “This one’s for you, Bridgette from me and Joseph.” She held the present out to me. I took it and pulled the paper off.

Inside was a book entitled ‘The Art of Healing.’ I opened the front cover to read the table of contents, ‘Simple Transfiguration’, ‘Speedy and Efficient Potions’ and ‘Charmed’ were some of the titles that jumped out at me.

“Thank you so much! This will really come in handy!” I said and got up to hug each of them.

“We’re glad you like it.” Helen whispered.

Present opening continued. I didn’t really have any friends or family that I could think of so I only had one other gift, a small parcel from Rick.

When the paper was torn off, a square box covered in velvet was revealed. I threw Rick a sideways glance before I opened it. Inside was a glittering diamond necklace. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before; it threw rainbows like the chandeliers over the house. I was immediately conscious of the fact that I had given him a sweater. What could I say? I was on a student’s budget!

“What do you think?” He hesitated.

“It’s the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen, you really didn’t have to.” I gazed into his eyes. He smiled.

“Merry Christmas.” He said simply and kissed me full on the lips. I grinned as he fastened it around my neck.

All too soon, it was time to return to school. I thanked Mr and Mrs Stewart for their hospitality once again before Rick led me outside and we apparated back to Kent.

“So, what did you think?” He asked, “Be honest.”

“They are very nice people and I’m so glad they invited me over for Christmas.” I said truthfully.

“They mentioned you were a lovely girl and they really like you.” Rick replied.

“That’s good; I was so worried they wouldn’t like me!” I expressed. He laughed.

“Don’t worry, they like you.” He placed his arm around my shoulders and walked me up to my front door.

The next month was Valentines Day. Normally, for me, this would have passed without acknowledging it. But now I was with Rick, and he sure acknowledged it.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” He asked nervously when we were changed out of uniform.

“Yeah, where did you want to go?” I said as I pulled my coat on.

“Oh, nowhere. Just for a walk.” He replied. I cocked my eyebrow, but didn’t say anything else. This wasn’t normal for him. I looped my arm through his and we trudged through the snow.

“So, we’re almost done our first year.” I tried to make conversation; he wasn’t talking like he normally did.

“Yeah. I turned nineteen last week.” He brought up. I stopped.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would have gotten you a present!” I said.

“I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it! Don’t worry about a present, I’m with you. That’s all I need.” He shrugged his shoulders. Then he turned so we were facing each other and he took both my hands in his, “I need to be very serious here for a minute, do you mind?”

“Not at all.” I hesitated, what was going on? He was always serious!
He let go of my right hand and got down on one knee. Oh no. Was he doing what I thought he was doing? He couldn’t be! This was insanity!

“Bridgette Eisenberg,” His eyes twinkled up at me, “Ever since I’ve met you, my life had truly started. It was almost as if it was empty then you came into the picture and I can’t bear the thought of you leaving it. I promise to love you for as long as I live. Will you marry me?” At his point, he pulled a small box out of his coat pocket and opened it to show me the gleaming diamond ring inside.

I gasped and covered my mouth with my free hand. He was doing what I dreaded he was. Was I ready to marry him? One look from his beautiful eyes gave me the answer.

“Yes.” I breathed. He smiled and got up from the snow to kiss me tenderly on the lips. I grabbed his arms and kissed him back with all I had. He let me go just long enough to slip the ring onto the third finger on my left hand before resuming the kiss.

Why wasn’t I as happy as I should be? I was engaged to the man I loved! But as our lips molded into each other’s, all I felt was guilt.