Loser, Whatever!

Engaged

Over the next few days, the news of our engagement spread like wildfire throughout the school. I received congratulations from people I didn’t even know and a long letter was sent from Mr and Mrs Stewart explaining how happy they were for us.

We were still fairly young and Rick wanted to wait until we had finished school. I agreed, I never dreamed I would get married at eighteen. Still, the constant voice in my mind kept nagging me to tell my parents. They would want to know, and I assumed they would be pleased if they found out I had moved on.

I didn’t think it wise for Rick to help me write this letter, but I told him about it and finally agreed to send the following:

'Dear Mom and Dad,

Hey, it’s been a while since I’ve talk to you guys, I miss you both so much!

Obviously, as Dad would think, I am writing because something big has happened and you guys have a right to know. So, here goes. I’m engaged. His name is Rick Stewart and he’s honestly brought the sunshine back into my life. I know you’ll like him! He’s also a Healing student with me.

Don’t worry, Dad, we’re not planning on getting married until we’ve finished our schooling here at Kent. The engagement party is going to be at his parent’s house (I am enclosing a picture so it’s easier to Apparate) on Saturday, March second at 6:30pm. Dinner will be served and you don’t need to bring a gift.

Love you lots!

Bridgette'

I figured I might as well suck up to them a bit if I wanted this to work. I never pictured my dad walking me down the aisle, but I never pictured me walking alone down the aisle either. He would like to see me one last time and I knew he wouldn’t mind giving me away to Rick.

In no time at all, the reply arrived to my little cottage, it was a week until the party. Rick was over and we were helping each other with our homework, and occasionally getting distracted with the wedding.

'Dearest Bridgette,

I am so glad you wrote! It’s been almost a year and we miss you terribly.

Congratulations on your engagement! And so early, too. We have to admit we do think you’re a little young to be getting married, but we were glad to hear you’re holding it off until you’re a little older. We’re looking forward to this Rick who has stolen your heart, has a date been set?

We will be at the engagement party, and don’t worry about it, it’s tradition that people give you gifts, and we’re your parents!

Looking forward to seeing you, say ‘hi’ to Rick for us!

Mom, Dad and Kurt'

"Ooh, so I finally get to meet your family then?" Rick read the note over my shoulder.

"You would have sooner or later." I pointed out.

"They have a point though." He stated.

"What point?" I was confused.

"We haven’t set a date yet!" He reminded me.

"Well, yeah! It’s still a year away!" I said.

"But we need to start planning if we want to get a good spot and bridesmaid dresses and flowers and photographer..."

"Okay, I get it!" I interrupted. He smiled and it was impossible not to smile back, "Do you have a date in mind?"

"Not really, but how about an August wedding?" He suggested.

"That’s fine with me." I agreed. That was still about a year and a half away.

"Hmm, let’s see..." He pulled out a pocket calendar and began flipping through, "How about Saturday the sixteenth?"

"Saturday weddings are nice." I agreed again.

"Great! My parents already have a place in mind to hold the wedding. But I should have consulted you."

"That’s okay, I don’t mind, so long as we get married!" I laughed, "I wouldn’t mind an outdoor wedding, if we’re getting married in the summer."

"Perfect, we’ve got the most beautiful spot. I’ll show you in the spring when all the snow’s melted, that way you can get the full effect." He took my left hand in his right and kissed each of my fingers in turn, then kissed the diamond on the third finger last.

"Any bridesmaids in mind?" He asked when he was done. I had to think about that one.

"Well, there is one girl, but I haven’t seen her in a while. Do you have any cousins that would be willing?" I asked.

"Oh yes, I have about three, which works out, because I have four groomsmen in mind, plus your brother will be the ring bearer, right?" He confirmed.

"I guess, we should probably ask him though, he’ll be here for the party." I replied.

"Okay, and I have a second cousin who has been begging me to let her be my flower girl if I ever got married, is that okay with you?" He consulted.

"Yeah, definitely." I said. I didn’t have many cousins or friends that would want to be in my wedding party. I should probably send a letter to Janna, she was the one I had in mind for my bridesmaid. With a pang to guilt, I remembered that she would be getting married this summer. Maybe should could be my maid of honor. I’ll write to her soon enough, as soon as we finish this homework.

"Hey! We’re getting off track, we’re supposed to be working on Charms!" I reminded him. He laughed, and then we turned back to our work.

The following day, I wrote to Janna.

'Janna,

It’s been a while, I know, and you’re probably up to your neck in your own wedding. But there’s something serious I need to talk to you about.

You can say no if you want, it’s been forever since I’ve seen you. The thing is, I’m engaged. I really have no other friends but you, you’ve been so kind to me, I remember two summers ago, even though it was short, and I never forgot you. Would you do me the honor of being my maid of honor? Don’t worry, the wedding’s not until next summer when we’re a little older. But the Engagement party is on Saturday, March second at 6:30 if you and Jered want to come. It would be a pleasure to see you again and you could meet my fiancé, Rick.

I really want to see you again, and I understand if you hate me and don’t want to do this. But write back and tell me what you think.

Miss you,

Bridgette.'