Status: HIATUS!! Thinking about re-writing this story.

Save Me

The New Kid

{Rainy}

“Class this is Matthew Sanders. He’s new here, so make him feel welcomed.” Mrs. Kutch told the class.

I looked up towards the front of the class and saw the new kid standing next to Mrs. Kutch. It was already known that a new family was moving to town, and stories were going around that it was a rich family. This kid looked like he’s from a rich family. He was wearing a J. Crew shirt and loose fitting jeans. His hair was slicked back and he had his bottom lip pierced on the right side. He was kinda built which made him look like a jock. He was also kinda cute but not my type. The only thing I could think was ‘Great another rich prick to torment me and my friends.’ Oh I can’t wait. Note the sarcasm.

“Okay, Matt. You can sit next to, um, let’s see. Oh, how about next to Casey?” Mrs. Kutch stated. I heard Casey’s squeals of happiness. Apparently she must think he’s cute.

“Actually, do you think I could sit in the back?” this Matt kid asked.

“Oh, um, are you sure that’s where you want to sit?” Mrs. Kutch asked sounding perplexed.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” He replied.

“Well ok, yeah, go ahead.”

“Thanks.” He said as he made his way to the back. Everyone started whispering at his choice to sit in the back. Then Casey spoke up.

“Why would you want to sit next to her instead of me?” she turned around and asked him. She of course was talking about me, cause he sat down in the seat to my right.

“Because I want to, that’s why.” He told her. After that was said, Mrs. Kutch started teaching about molecules or something. I just droned her out and started to draw. I couldn’t help but think that Casey had a good point. Why would he want to sit next to me instead of Casey? She is one of the prettiest girls in the school. All the guys want her. Why would he willingly sit next to me, the freak? Who knows?

Class was almost over and I had noticed Matt kept looking over at me. I finally looked up at him. He smiled at me and extended his hand to me.

“Hi. I’m Matt.” He said. I looked at his hand then back at his face.

“Oh, don’t bother talking to her. She doesn’t talk.” Liz Davis said as she turned in her seat to look at Matt. I went back to my drawing as she continued. “And you might not want to touch her either, she’s trailer trash, you might catch something.” She laughed along with those around her who heard what she said. I kept my head down ignoring them.

“I’m Liz by the way.” She told him. He just nodded his head. “You should sit with me and my friends at lunch.” Liz suggested. Matt just shrugged and said Okay.

The bell rang and I packed up my things and stood up. As I was walking towards the door, Richie, one of the jocks, bumped into me.

“Watch where you're going freak.” He hissed at me, pushing me a little. “Great, now I have to burn this shirt after she’s touched it.” They all laughed. I just walked out of the room ignoring them. I might be used to their taunting and both physical and verbal abuse, but sometimes it gets to me. Most of the time I can block them out, but every once in awhile their teasing bothers me.

I walked down the hall to my next class. Math, what fun. I saw my brother and our friend Zacky walking toward the room. I just went in and sat down at my desk. I put my head down and waited for the class to begin. I felt Brian sit down on my left and Zacky sit down in front of me.

“Rainy, you okay?” Bri asked and I nod my head. Him and Zacky start talking about who knows what. The classroom was full of talking as all the students came in. Mr. Juniper got the class settled, and what do you know? Matt Sanders is in the class. Mr. Juniper introduced him and said he could sit in front of Brian. Zacky gave him a weary look, and Bri gave him a questioning look. They both looked at each other then back at him.

Mr. Juniper went on to explain about geometry and half way through class he set us to work in pairs as we worked on two pages out of the textbook. I was paired with Brian and Zacky was paired with Matt.

“So, where you from?” Zacky asked him

“Chicago.” He replied.

“Oh. Why did you move out here?”

“My dad got transferred for work.” He told Zacky.

“I’m Zack.”

“Matt.” They shook hands.

“That’s Brian and Rainy.” Zacky said pointing back to Brian and me. Bri shook his hand also. I just stared at him.

“So, your names Rainy huh?” he directed to me. Zack and Bri looked at him, then me, and then back.

“You’ve met Rain already?” Bri asked.

“Well not officially. We had last period together and I introduced myself. She didn’t answer, then this girl Liz told me not to waste my time talking to her cause she doesn’t talk.” He explained and I noticed he didn’t tell them what else Liz also said. Bri and Zacky looked at me to see if it was true. I nodded and shrugged.

“Wait. So it’s true? You really don’t talk?” Matt asked me. I just stared at him.

“No, she doesn’t." Zacky told him.

"Why?"

"Don't worry about it." Brian told him. They stopped talking and we all got to work on the assignment. When there was five minutes left of class, the teacher collected our work while we packed up.

“Hey, you wanna sit with us at lunch?” Zacky asked Matt.I looked over at him waiting to see what he’d say, knowing he agreed to sit with Liz.

“Um I said I’d sit with that Liz girl and her friends.” He said.

“We should have known. You’re a prep aren’t you?” Brain asked.

“What?”

“Yeah we should have guessed. Your folks are rich aren’t they?” Zacky asked and continued when Matt nodded to the question. “You seemed cool enough. I mean you don’t really seem like a rich snob and you don't really dress like the other preps, but…” he trailed off.

“Wait. What, so we can’t be friends?” Matt asked looking confused.

“Naw man. Your from a different world.” Brian told him as Zacky moved his desk away from Matt’s.

“Yeah, our worlds don’t mix. Just ask Liz and her crowd. I’m sure they’d love to tell you all about us.” Zacky said that as the bell rang.

The three of us headed to our next class. For Zack and me it’s History. For Brian it’s Science with our other friends Jimmy and Johnny. Zack and I sat down in the back and unfortunately; Matt was also in this class. Thankfully, though, he wasn’t seated next to us. He was in the back also but on the other side.

History went pretty fast and I noticed Matt would look over at Zacky and me every now and then. Probably hoping to catch our attention or something. He seemed like a nice guy. Didn't really peg me as a rich prep because of his attitude. Something told me he didn't seem to be that interested in being popular or care what others thought or whatever. Maybe he wasn't like the rest of the other rich snobs. I mean maybe Bri and Zacky just jumped to that conclusion because he's rich. And he did choose to sit next to me in first period instead of Casey.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think.