Status: HIATUS!! Thinking about re-writing this story.

Save Me

Late To School

{Rainy}

I didn’t feel like going to school today but I wanted to see Matt. Brian told us that Zack called earlier and that he told him that we’d be in later. After we all got changed it was about 11:30. Lunch was almost over at school.

The three of us were hungry so we decided to go to Taco Bell. Once we were there we placed our orders and waited for it to be done. While we waited we filled our cups and found a table to sit at.

When our order was up, Brian went and got it. Bringing it over to our table he sat down in the booth across from Jimmy and me. We all got our food from the tray and began eating. Man was I hungry. I bit into my food like I hadn’t eaten in days.

“Bev’s coming down this weekend.” Jimmy said to us after he swallowed his food. Beverly Andrews is Jimmy’s girlfriend. They’ve been together for almost a year and a half. She lives up in Santa Anna though.

We met Bev at a baseball game Zack was playing. It was our high school’s team against her high school’s team. Well Jimmy kept yelling things to the other team while Bev was yelling things to our team. Jimmy and Bev eventually got into each other’s face and started talking shit. Next thing we know two weeks later t another game between the two schools Jimmy asked her out and she said yes.

“Are the guys coming also?” Brian asked. He was talking about the Berry twins, Jason and Mattie. They are Bev’s best friends.

“No. Bev said something about them having to go visit some relatives in San Fran.” Jimmy answered. That sucks. We haven’t seen them since before Christmas and I miss them. But at least Bev’s coming down.

When we were done eating we threw our trash out ands walked out to Jimmy’s car. It only took us about five minutes to drive to the school. After getting there and Jimmy parking, we walked into the building and headed to the front office. We needed to sign in and get late passes.

Once that was done we headed to our classes. It’s English for Jimmy and me and History for Brian. As we walked down the hall I looked at my watch. It’s almost 12:15 meaning there’s only about twenty minutes left of class.

Jimmy and I entered the classroom and everyone was silent as they watched us. After handing our passes to the teacher we walked to our seats. When I saw Matt my heart seemed to have skipped a beat when he smiled at me. He has one nice ass smile. He didn’t smile big but I could see a hint of dimples on each cheek. I don’t know what happened but I was getting the feeling of butterflies in my stomach.

English went by fast but I guess that’s only cause I had to sit through twenty minutes. As we walked to gym class Matt asked Jimmy how her got the cut on his lip. Jimmy just told him he likes to get into a healthy fight every now and then. The rest of the walk was in silence till Jimmy told Matt that the both of us are sitting out in gym today.

Jimmy and I went into the gym and sat down on the bleachers to wait for the guys. While we waited he was talking about how he couldn’t wait for Bev to some down. He was acting like a nervous but excited school girl the night before her first date. It was cute.

The guys headed over to us when they came out of the boys’ locker room. Brian and Matt were talking and when they got closer I heard Matt.

“… that I punched Cole yesterday and helped out Rainy and Zack. I think she expected me to ignore what they were doing and let Cole get on with it.”

I was looking at him while he was saying that. Who was he talking about? Whoever it is I’m guessing doesn’t like what he did. Matt said ‘she’ though and I’m willing to bet he’s talking about Liz Davis. She would get pissed that he helped me, who she basically threatened to stay away from Matt.

See, now he’s gonna get so much shit thrown at him cause he helped us. I don’t want him to have to go through anything that Cole and his friends will throw at him cause he helped us. He doesn’t deserve it.

Johnny and Zack came over and each gave me a hug and they started talking to me and Jimmy.

“Are you okay?” Zack asked the both of us in a quiet voice.

“Yeah, we’re fine.” Jimmy answered as I nodded my head.

“Brian told us what happened while we got changed.” Johnny said. “But why did you come to school late? Brian didn’t have a chance to say.”

“We didn’t go to sleep till like five this morning. We didn’t want her to fall asleep and slip into a coma or something because of the hit to her head. So we kept her awake.” He told them. Before either one could say something, the gym teacher blew his whistle and started talking. I wasn’t listening, but I did hear him say that we were gonna start playing volleyball next week.

I watched the guys play basketball as Jimmy stretched out on the bench behind the one I’m sitting on and fell asleep. I smiled at his slight snores. Thankfully he doesn’t snore like he’s got some kind of horn or something in his throat.

Down at the other end of the gym I could see Liz looking down our way. Every now and then she would say something to the other girls and they would all turn to look, sometimes with glares sometimes with smirks, like they were planning something. Who knows with them.

When gym was over, instead of waiting for the guys to change, Jimmy walked me to Art. After waving by to Jimmy, I walked into the room. Before I got to my work area the teacher called me to her desk.

“Good afternoon Rainy.” She said and I gave her a smile. Miss. Grey was an excellent teacher. She was only in her mid to late twenties and could relate to her students better than most teachers. She has this huge love for art and always shared it with her students.

“Well I just wanted to let you know that we’ve moved on to nature drawings. We’ll be working with that for just the week. Everyday we’ll be going outside and you have to pick something in nature to draw. Nothing big though cause remember we’ll only have about thirty minutes outside.” Miss Grey explained to me. I nodded to show I understood. She went on.

“Homework is a week-long project. I want at least two nature drawings. You can do more if you wish. I want you to find things that say something to you. It’s to be handed in on Friday, okay?” I nodded to her once again with a smile.

I walked to my work desk and waited till the rest of the students came in. When they all did Miss. Grey told us to grab what we needed and to follow her.

She led us outside and to the back of the school. She told us to find something of nature and draw it. I scanned the area and saw a branch laying on the ground and I thought that would be something good to draw.

After finding the best angle to draw it at, I opened up my sketch pad, grabbed one of my pencils and started drawing. Miss. Grey had been right about how little time we would have. Not even half an hour later Miss. Grey was telling everyone to head back to the classroom.

Once there she told us to leave our sketch pads open to our drawing and place them on her desk. When the bell rang I had just finished putting my pencils and things away. I quickly jotted down the date and my initials at the bottom of the page like I do with all my drawings. I put my sketch pad on Miss. Grey’s desk as I walked by, giving her a wave as well.

“See you tomorrow, Rainy.” She said. I walked down the hall and started to head to my locker to grab the books I would need for homework when I remembered I didn’t have any homework to do. So I just walked straight outside instead.

When I got to Jimmy’s car I sat on the hood and leaned against the windshield like I always do. It wasn’t long before the guys came out and headed over, Matt coming over also. After the guys told him that Jimmy, Zack and I have work and Brian and Johnny were going to Jeremy’s place, Matt said he’d see us tomorrow. Just as he turned to walk away he turned back around and walked over to me.

He pulled something out of his pocket and gave it to me. Matt said bye to the guys and walked off to his car. I looked down to see what he had given me and saw that it was a note. With a small smile I put the note in my back pocket and looked up to see the guys all looking at me. Brian, Jimmy and Johnny had looks of curiosity and questioning in their eyes.

“What was that?” Brian asked with a nod toward my pocket. I just shrugged.

“It looked like a note to me.” I looked up at Zacky when he said that. He had a smirk on his face and when I looked him in the eyes, I could have sworn I saw a bit of knowing in them. Like he knew something that the guys didn’t. Something that even I didn’t know.

There was a slight silence as the guys all exchanged looks. When Zacky spoke up about getting to work we all left. Zacky was dropping Brian and Johnny off at Jeremy’s before he went to work. Jimmy was giving me a lift to work on his way to work.

During the drive he kept asking me what the note was about and all. How would I know seeing as I haven’t even read it yet? He said that I should read it now but I just shook my head no. I was going to read it when I was alone.

Jimmy has work at three so when he dropped me off at the diner I had a little over an hour before I had to clock in. I didn’t mind though, I just sat in one of the booths in the back where I pulled Matt’s note out. I figure now could be a good time to read it so I did. I unfolded the piece of paper and started to read.

Rainy,
Your welcome but really, you don’t need to thank me. I would do it again and besides I wasn’t about to just walk away and do nothing. I saw where his hand was going and in all honesty, it pissed me off. If Cole and them want to try and make me pay, I say let them. I would actually love to see what they’d do. I’ve hung out with guys like them to know most of them are just talk. Some of them really can’t fight, well, not good anyway, and that’s why they get their buddies to help.

I had hoped you didn’t hear what I said but I don’t care that you did. I meant every word that I said. No, I won’t actually kill him but there are other ways to end someone’s life without killing them. But if he touches you again he will be in a lot of pain.

He thinks he has the right to mess with you ad the others just cause you guys aren’t like him? That’s bullshit. I’ve grown up with these kind of guys as my ‘friends’ and seen them mess with kids they thought were weird and some of those ‘bullies’ only did it cause they’re jealous of them. Mostly cause those ‘weird’ kids weren’t afraid to be themselves and like what they want to like. Whether Cole and them are like that I don’t know. They could just be the ones that are complete assholes that think they’re the best thing to walk the earth.

Enough about Cole.

I wanna know… um, well, can I know about you? I want to know things about you. You don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to but it’s just that I would um, like to get to know you.

I guess that’s all for now.
~~Matt


I had a smile on my face when I finished reading. Matt wanted to know things about me. Well now that he’s a friend it’s only natural he’d want to know stuff about me. I know that I want to know about him as well. I want to know everything about Matt Sanders.

I pulled out my note book from my bag and got started writing him back. However, I only wrote a few sentences when Missy, one of the waitresses came over to talk with me.

I like Missy. She’s twenty years old and had graduated two years ago. She’s worked at ‘Ma and Pa’s’ for about five years. At first it had been an after school job to make some extra cash. Now it’s a job to support her and her almost three year old son, Max.

Missy got pregnant in her senior year. Her boyfriend kind of freaked when she told him, saying he wasn’t ready for a baby. After their graduation he went off to college in New York and hasn’t seen his son or even talked to Missy since. Missy of course was hurt but then she figured that if he didn’t want anything to do with their son, then that’s his problem. She’s now dating a nice guy named Keith. They’ve only been together about eight months and he absolutely adores Max. Maybe he could be the dad Max needs.

The diner wasn’t really full yet as a lot of people were still at work and what not. Things wouldn’t really pick up till around five o’clock, so Missy and I could hang with just her occasionally getting up to take an order or to give people their food.

It didn’t take long for four o’clock to come and after I clocked in and put my things in my locker, I got working. As I worked I wondered about what sort of things Matt wanted to know. I’m pretty sure I could guess a few. Some things I don’t know if I can tell him. I’ll just have to wait and see what he wants to know first and if I can’t answer then I won’t.

Work went by quickly today. I finished cleaning up and clocked out. After putting my apron and things in my locker, I grabbed my hoodie and bag and walked out to the dinning area. Brian and Jimmy were there talking to Betsy again but also finishing up slices of apple pie.

After leaving the diner, we headed home and I was again told that Jimmy was staying at our house. Once we got there I went up to my room and changed for bed. After I had done that I grabbed the note book out of my bag so that I could finish the note to Matt.

Jimmy came in not long after and I was just finishing up the note as he stripped to his boxers and t-shirt. He got into bed and under the covers just as I closed the note book, note being finished.

“So did you read the note Matt gave you?” he asked me and I nodded. “What did it say?”
I didn’t respond but turned my head to the side. Why was I keeping it from Jimmy? Normally I tell him everything, he’s my best friend and I know that he’s not being nosy, just curious. I just don’t know if I want him to know what it says. I think I just want these notes to be between Matt and me.

“You don’t want to tell me?” I shrugged. He stayed silent for a few seconds before giving a slight chuckle. “You don’t know whether or not you want to keep it between you and Matt?” I nodded. See, like I said, he’s my best friend. He knows what I’m thinking. He laughed.

“That’s cool. But just so ya know, I am always up for reading people’s notes to each other.” He said with his goofy smirk. I silently laughed at him. Jimmy is definitely a funny man.

After a few moments I got out of bed and turned the light off. Then I got back into bed and Jimmy and I pulled the covers up over ourselves. I lay there for about ten minutes before I started to drift off. I snuggled up closer to Jimmy and let sleep take me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think.

Sorry if there are any mistakes.