Status: HIATUS!! Thinking about re-writing this story.

Save Me

Run In With Aunt Maria

{Rainy}

I had woken up around ten this morning and Zacky was still sleeping. I went downstairs and into Johnny’s kitchen and found Jeremy cooking something. I went over to see what it was and he was making French Toast.

“Good morning. Did you sleep well?” he asked me. I nodded my head and smiled. I then pointed to him basically asking the same thing.

“I had a great nights sleep. Is Zack up yet?” I shook my head no. Jeremy went back to cooking while I got a glass of milk.

When Jeremy got done making the French Toast he had a great big stack on a plate, which he set on the table. The both of us dug in and while we were eating, Zacky came down and joined us. Before we were done eating the front door opened and closed. A few seconds later Stacey, Johnny’s mom, walked into the kitchen.

“Jeremy, Hun. What are you doing her?” she asked him when she spotted him.

“I need a place to stay for a couple days.” He said standing up and giving her a hug. He then explained about his break up with Tara. It really is a shame what she did. I always liked her and thought she was a great person but apparently she wasn’t above stepping out on Jeremy. Stacey told him he could stay there for as long as he needed. He didn’t even have to ask.

“What are you two doing skipping school?” she asked Zacky and me in a stern voice.

“Oh, Rainy got suspended yesterday.” Zack told her.

“Oh really now?” she smirked at me. “Is that how you got that scratch?” she asked pointing to my cheek. I nodded.

“And you’re the one skipping today?” she asked Zacky who nodded. Stacey knows about our little tradition were when one of us gets suspended the others will each skip a day to hang out with them.

After Stacey got a cup of coffee she sat down at the table and talked with us while we finished eating. I like Stacey. She’s a pretty cool, down to earth kind of woman. She’s a very kind and understanding lady and is always willing to help out people if she can. She reminds me of my mom and I suppose that’s why I like her so much.

When we were done eating Zacky and I did the dishes since Jeremy was the one who cooked. While I washed and Zacky dried he asked me if I wanted to go see if Ray was home or not so that I can get some clothes and things. I nodded my head and after we finished with the dishes we went up and got dressed. I just threw on a pair of Johnny’s sweats and one of his shirts while Zacky put on his jeans and also grabbed one of Johnny’s shirts. Once we were done, Zacky told Jeremy and Stacey where we were going.

As we got closer to my house I saw that Ray’s truck wasn’t in the driveway but Maria’s car was there. This didn’t mean that she was home as she could have gone with Ray but Zacky thought it would be better to go in through my window just incase. I agreed with him and we both climbed up the tree and walked across the porch roof to my bedroom window.

I climbed in after Zacky and saw that my door was wide open and I know I had closed and locked it before going to school yesterday. This means Ray or Maria have been in here. I walked over to the door but didn’t see any damage so I knew it was Maria who was in my room. She always picks the lock where as Ray won’t bother with that. He just kicks the door open.

Turning to look around my room I saw that the draws in my dresser and nightstand were open a little. I walked to my dresses and opened the top draw all the way. Everything was all messed up and pushed around. Looking through the other draws, I saw that they were in the same state. I wasn’t worried that Maria took anything though because I don’t keep anything valuable in my room.

When I started working at Ma & Pa’s, Ma had opened a joint bank account with me so that I could deposit my paychecks and save my money. Since I was underage I couldn’t open an account on my own. Along with the account Ma got me a safe deposit box because she knows Ray and Maria and knows that they would sell our things to get money for drugs and whatnot, so me and Brian keep all of our valuable and important thing in it.

Forgetting the fact that someone was in my room, I walked to my closet and grabbed my duffel bag and threw it on my bed. I then started grabbing shirts and jeans off their hangers. While I was gathering up my clothes and other things I would need, Zack went to Brian’s room to get things Brian would need.

It took only about ten minutes for me to get my things and finish packing. As I was zipping up my duffel bag I heard movement behind me; thinking it was Zacky I turned around to show him I was done and ready to go. Standing in my bedroom doorway wasn’t Zacky though, but my aunt. I didn’t think she was home since I didn’t hear any noise in the house when Zacky and I got here.

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” Maria said smirking. She then saw my bag on my bed. “What are you doing?”

“She’s going to get her bag so we can go.” Zacky said walking around Maria, who had stepped into my room a little. He came and stood next to me as Maria let out a little laugh. Well it was more like a cackle actually.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” she asked narrowing her eyes at me. There was silence after her question but that was broken by Zacky.

“Come on Rain, let’s go.” He said to me. I grabbed my bag and followed behind him as he walked out of my room.

“You aren’t going anywhere.” Maria said grabbing my arm forcing me to stop. “You’re going to stay in this house till Ray comes home. He is extremely pissed at you for getting yourself suspended.” She sneered at me. Zacky came over just as I yanked my arm out of her grasp and took hold of my hand. He pulled me down the stairs and out the front door.

“He’s going to beat you black and blue when he gets a hold of you.” Maria yelled to me as Zacky and I walked down the front path.

Zacky still held my hand as we walked back to Johnny’s in silence. I knew Maria was taunting me saying that Ray’s going to beat me black and blue but I also knew she was being serious about it. I could already feel the bruise that will litter my body after that confrontation with Ray. I also know that I should just face him and get it over with cause the longer he has to wait, the worse it’ll be. Plus I’m sure he still wants to get back at me for smashing my lamp over his head Monday night.

When we got back to Johnny’s we found Jeremy watching TV in the living room. He told us we had to keep it down as Stacey is upstairs sleeping. Zacky took my bag from my hand and took it, along with Brian’s, up to Johnny’s room. I went over and sat on the couch next to Jeremy.

“Do you have work today?” he asked me. I nodded. “What time do you go in?” I held up four fingers letting him know I start at 4 o’clock.

I yawned as he nodded his head letting me know he understood. He put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him and I rested my head on his shoulder. Zacky came down and sat in the chair and watched TV while I let my eyes slip shut.

When I woke up I was laid out on the couch with a blanket covering me. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was 1:30. School would be letting out in about forty-five minutes. My stomach started grumbling a little so I got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. Zacky and Jeremy were in there and they were eating hot dogs and fries.

“We made enough for you.” Zacky said to me. I nodded and grabbed the empty plate on the counter. After I got my food I sat down at the table with the guys and put mustard on my hot dog and tons of ketchup on my fries. As we ate the guys were talking about what everyone was doing this weekend and Zacky asked if I had work, which I do.

When I was done eating my food I felt like drawing, so while Zacky and Jeremy went to watch some more TV I went out onto the front porch with my sketchbook and a pencil. As I drew I thought back to last nigh. I had heard Johnny and Zacky telling Matt about when I beat up Liz in seventh grade. I still hate her for that. Who knows what could have happened with Tommy and me. We could even still be together today if Liz hadn’t ruined that.

Sometimes I think about what could have been between Tommy and myself. I’m pretty sure I still like him in some way but I know that nothing will happen with us now. We’re too different now but I like to think that maybe, just maybe we could get the friendship we used to have back.

I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I didn’t even notice the guys came home till I heard the slamming of car doors. I was surprised to see Matt had come over again. I thought that he would have gone home but apparently not. Not that I’m complaining though.

“Are you wearing my clothes?” Johnny asked as he walked up the path. I nodded my head smiling.

“Did you manage to go home and get clothes?” Brian asked me. I nodded and turned to a blank page in my book and wrote: ‘Zacky got some clothes and things for you.’

Brian nodded his head and he and Johnny made their way into the house. Jimmy walked up the steps and dropped a kiss to my forehead then looked back at Matt before he walked in the house without saying anything. Matt was standing at the bottom of the steps looking at the ground with his hands in his pockets. When he heard the door shut he looked up at me and let out a little sigh.

“Can I talk to you?” he asked me as he walked up the steps and sat down on the top step next to me. I nodded my head wondering what he wanted to talk about. Matt sat there for a moment or two just looking out at the front yard. It looked like he was trying to figure out how to go about saying what he had to say and I waited patiently for him to speak.

“Yesterday at lunch I had talked to Liz. That’s why I was late coming to the tree. There was something she did and I wanted to know why but that’s not important right now. Anyway, before I left the room I kind of told her to stay away from you.” Matt spoke quietly. Wait, he told her to stay away from me? I was a little shocked and a bit confused. Why would he do that?

“Is that the reason why you two got into the fight? Did she start with you because of what I said to her?” he asked. Oh my god, is he blaming himself for the fight? I started shaking my head no. Liz never even said anything about Matt talking to her.

“Are you sure?” I nodded and wrote down in my book: ‘Liz is a bitch who thinks I should have listened to her when she told me to stay away from you. She doesn’t like it when people don’t listen to her.’ It’s not Matt’s fault that Liz and I fought, it was just a fight waiting to happen.

“Are you going to stay away from me?” Matt asked shyly.

‘Do you want me to?’

“No.” I smiled at his answer as butterflies flew around in my stomach.

‘Then I won’t. Besides, I’m sure that even if you didn’t have that little chat with Liz, the fight still would have happened. It’s in no way your fault so please, don’t blame yourself.’

Matt looked up at me after he read that and I pleaded with my eyes for him to not blame himself. A smile slowly made it’s was across his face and he nodded his head and told me that he wouldn’t blame himself. That’s good to hear. We sat in silence for a little before he spoke.

“What are you doing tonight?” he asked me and I wrote down that I had to work from four to nine thirty. He nodded and I started writing on the page again.

‘Are you skipping tomorrow with the guys?’

“Brian had asked me in Math class but I haven’t decided yet.” He told me.

‘You should. Maybe the guys will have a practice and you can hear them play.’ Matt gave me a smile a nodded.

“Okay then I will. I would actually like to hear them play. Are they any good?”

‘The fucking best.’ I wrote down and smiled proudly. I just know that my guys are going to make it big someday and I’m going to help them as much as I can.

Matt and I ‘chatted’ for about an hour before Zacky came out saying that we better get going or we’ll both be late for work.

‘Bye Matt. I’ll see you tomorrow.’ I wrote and ripped the page out of the book and handed it to Matt. He read it as Zacky handed me my bag when I stood up.

“Bye Rainy.” Matt said softly before saying ‘see ya’ to Zacky. Zacky and I got in his car and as we pulled away I looked back at Matt and saw him standing on the porch watching us leave. I turned to look at Zacky when he let out a small chuckle. I saw that he was smirking and I raised my eyebrow in question.

“Nothing.” Was all he said chuckling a little more as he drove. The smirk still on his face. I just shrugged and let my thoughts wander to Matt. I can’t wait to see him tomorrow.