Run like you do, I'm chasing you

Chapter 9

I made my way towards the mall’s main entrance while racking my brain to try and find the right words to say to Nick. How was I going to tell my best friend that I loved him? It was already awkward, with the whole “Miley” thing.

I stepped out onto the pavement, under one of the streetlights. It was just getting dark and the air was getting a little chillier. I pulled up my hood and shoved my hands into my pockets. Head down, I made my way towards where I thought the Jonas house stood. When I finally looked up again, I realized I was in a place that looked unfamiliar. This street was made up of run down buildings and alleyways hidden in shadow. I kept walking, not courageous enough to stop and fully look around. As I walked, I saw a man leaning against the brick wall up ahead. A neon sign flickered above him, displaying an outline of a nude woman. I heard the loud music blaring inside. My pace quickened, hoping to get by unnoticed. His stare burned into me as I rushed by. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I heard footsteps clatter behind me.

Before I could start running I felt two arms wrap tightly around my midsection, trapping my arms at my sides. I tried to scream, but he was too quick. He had me pinned up against the wall with his hand covering my nose and mouth. I began to hyperventilate and get dizzy due to the lack of air.

“Calm down beautiful, this won’t last long. Hell, you might even enjoy yourself.” He chuckled quietly and I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Everything was becoming less clear as he started planting kisses along my jaw line. He held me against the wall with his body, making sure to keep his right hand against my mouth, he used the other one to trace the curves of my body, playing with the hem of my shirt. Dumb bastard, probably thought I liked this. There was no one around, but I knew in a place like this, there probably wouldn’t be anyone who cared enough to stop him. In my desperate endeavor to escape, I heard the faint call of my name.

I was seconds from unconsciousness when the man was thrown back and plummeted to the ground. His nose dripping with blood. I slid down the wall and cradled my knees in my arms. I was exhausted and yet I still found the strength to sob. Tears poured from my eyes and choked cries erupted from my throat. Through my blurred vision, I looked up and saw the person I knew I wanted most to be there. And yet, not but ten minutes earlier, I was dreading his appearance. He bent down and wrapped his arms around me, not saying a word. Just being there was enough. He saved me and I would owe him my life. After I soaked the collar of his shirt, he finally pulled me to my feet, still keeping a tight grip around my torso.

“Come on, we better get out of here, before he wakes up or somebody else comes along.” With one arm around my shoulders and the other holding my hand we quickly made our way back up the street in the direction that I had come. Soon I saw the front porch light of the Jonas mansion shining up ahead. We walked up the front path and in through the door. He led me up the stairs without saying a word to his awaiting family. I knew he’d probably tell them once I was out of ear shot anyway. We went up to the room I was staying in. He let go of me and turned to walk out. Before he left, he kissed me on the forehead, then shut the door. I changed into a pair of pajamas and climbed into the king-sized bed.

It had to be two hours later and I still hadn’t fallen asleep. I couldn’t, each time I closed my eyes; all I saw was the man on the street. My eyelids drooped with exhaustion. I looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table, it read 11:43. I snuggled down into the comforter and once again tried falling asleep, but as soon as I closed my eyes I saw that man's tired, worn face. My eyes shot open, just then I heard the door creek and a flash of light glowing from the hallway. Somebody walked in and the light disappeared. They cleared their throat, probably trying to see if I was awake, and I knew immediately that it was Nick.

I didn’t move, once again I heard a raspy cough come from the other side of the room. Again I didn’t move, after about a minute of dead silence I heard the sound of the springs in the chair in the corner move. I wondered how long he’d sit there like that. He couldn’t be planning on falling asleep there, not moving until morning. I felt I should probably tell him that I was fine, he didn’t need to watch over me, but I didn’t want to. I only wished for him to come closer. I could hear his breathing, it was relaxing but it didn’t sound as if he was falling asleep. Astonishingly enough, I did fall asleep. I was comforted by his presence, I my tired eyes finally found peace.

That peace didn’t last long, for an hour later I was awoken by a horrible dream. I dreamt of the man, but this time Nick didn’t come to save me. I gasped and when I did so I heard Nick jolt up from the chair. I didn’t turn to look at him but he began to make his way over to the bed. In a hushed tone he said my name and once again I didn’t respond. This time though, he decided to go along with whatever he was planning. I felt the bed move as he got in with me. I felt his warm embrace once again. He laid his face next to mine and began to sing. I could tell what song he was singing, Sorry from their new album.

I'm Sorry
For breakin' all the promises
That I wasn't around to keep
It's all me
This time is the last time
I will ever beg you to stay
But you're already on your way

Filled with sorrow, filled with pain
Knowing that I am to blame
For leaving your heart out in the rain

And I know you're gonna walk away
And leave me with the price to pay
Before you go I wanted to say


“I’m sorry.” He kissed me on the cheek, then laid his face against mine. I don’t know if he was singing it to me or not but for some reason I felt as though he was. And that was how we fell asleep. I forgot about all that had happened that night other than what was happening in that one moment. I was content. For that time, I was with Nick and that’s all I needed. I slept perfectly that night, no nightmares.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this isn't the best chapter I've written
&&
I'm sorry for such a long wait for the update.
Hopefully I'll be able to update a little bit in the next few days.
And if you read please comment, I hate when people read my stories but don't let me know what they think so please!
♥
xoxo