Run like you do, I'm chasing you

Chapter 8

I knew the next thing I had to do. So things with Nick hadn’t exactly turned out the way I planned, but I still needed to talk to Joe about what had happened the other night on the beach. My heart was racing as I hopped up off my bed and headed out the door to confront Joe. I was finally getting the hang of everything around here and was comfortable with knowing where I was going in this mansion. I made my way towards the door with the word ‘Danger’ nailed onto it in big, black, wooden letters. I knocked lightly then harder when I didn’t get an answer. After numerous knocks and no response, I pushed the door and walked in. Joe wasn’t there. I sighed a breath of relief, happy to have a bit more time to organize my thoughts and decide what I would say to him. Just then I heard a familiar voice call my name from downstairs.

“Katelyn? Kate! Where are you, I need to talk to you” I breathed in deep and made my way down the stairs. I saw Joe standing at the bottom waiting. Arms crossed.

“Oh, hey Joe. I was actually hoping to talk to you too.” The look in Joe’s eyes was a bit nervous but still intent on saying what he needed to. He had obviously been working up the courage to say whatever it was.

“Come here, Kate” I walked the rest of the way down the steps and followed him into the living area. We sat on the big black couch, looking out the front bay window at the beautiful view of Los Angeles.

“I’ve been thinking about this ever since it happened and I think we really need to talk. About what happened at the beach. I don’t know what I was thinking. Well, I guess I wasn’t thinking. I think the only reason I kissed you is, well because I’m a little lonely. I haven’t really found anybody out here who I can connect to, so I thought that maybe if you and I…well, I just didn’t feel the connection I was looking for. I shouldn’t have done that because I know how much you like Nick and he really likes you too. I’m really sorry for making you uncomfortable. I hope you aren’t mad at me.” He looked at me waiting for a response and I just stared out the front window. I really wasn’t angry, relieved really.

“I’m not mad at you Joe. It’s okay. I was actually hoping to talk to you about it today, I’m just glad you brought it up first. But Joe, how do you know I like Nick and he likes me? Because I’m pretty sure he does not like me. He told me he liked someone else.” I looked at Joe to see if he was listening. His eyes were bulging out of their sockets.

“Are you serious? That person that he said he liked, he was talking about you, dear. He’s only been talking about you for the past year, since we left. He was only going out with Miley to take his mind off you but obviously that didn’t work. But now that you’re here….besides, Miley was getting on his nerves away.” He chuckled, but I just stared at him in disbelief.

My thoughts began to race. What if Joe was right? Maybe Nick really did feel that way about me. How should I talk to Nick about it, though? What if Joe WASN’T right? What if when I told him how I felt he just rejected me? That would hurt too much. I was pulled from my thoughts when Joe tapped me on the shoulder.

“Kate? Are you okay”

“Uhm, yeah. I just need to clear my head” I got up off the couch and headed out the door. Not sure exactly where I was headed. I knew the mall was close by. When I saw the parking lot come in to view, I picked up my pace, practically sprinting. By this point I knew what I wanted to do. The thing I did most when I was upset. I walked through the mall, my hands in my pocket. There was a perfectly good piano back at the Jonas house, but I didn’t want to be there right now, so I went to the music store at the west end of the mall and sat down a baby grand piano. The ones meant for giving lessons. My fingers graced the top of every key. I hit the first note and the sound rang throughout the store. I started to play one of my favorite songs as I sang along. It was ‘In Another Life’ by the Veronicas, but I kept the tempo slower than the original.

I have known you my whole life
When you were ten, you said you'd make me your wife
Eight years later you won me over
Just as I took the world on my shoulders

I got used to living without you
Endless phone calls and dreaming about you
Always said that you were my man to be
But I guess I was in love with your memory

You know I love you, I really do
But I can't fight anymore for you
And I don't know, maybe we'll be together again
Sometime, in another life

In another life…


I slammed my hands down on the keys as hard as I could, not caring who was watching me. I wasn’t angry with Nick or Joe, but with the situation. I didn’t like being uncomfortable situations and this was definitely one of them. I looked up and saw one of the employees coming my way.

“Miss, unless you are planning on buying something, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” I stood up and made my way out the store. I felt something vibrate in my back pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the screen. I sighed, Nick. It was inevitable. I was going to have to talk to him and I knew it was going to be sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it took so long to update.
I haven't been all that busy, I just haven't been in the mood to write.
Please don't unsubscribe. I will try my best to post new chapters whenever I can.
♥
xoxo