Jukebox Lovers

4 P.M.

It was four in the afternoon and Jacqui's dad was still in the same place, looking at me repetitively. Hoping it was only my paranoia, I continued looking at shoes with Annemarie.

"Why does that guy keep looking at you?" hissed Annemarie.

"I don't know. It's Jacqui Larson's dad though."

Mr. Larson looked up at me, and thinking he heard me, I immediately turned my attention a pair of shoes at the end of the aisle, dragging Annemarie by her hand to show her. She turned back around to get a look at Mr. Larson, who was still probably glaring our way. She turned back around and pushed me out the door of the shoe store, which I thought, inwardly, was a good idea.

"He's so creepy," Annemarie said, "You'd never think he was Jacqui Larson's dad."

"I know. Jacqui's like gorgeous and his dad's like a psycho."

"How do you know he's a psycho?"

I quickly lied, "I don't know, I just had that vibe."

She looked at me, skeptically, "You're keeping something from me."

"No I'm not," I lied again.

She sighed and we headed towards the music store. Inside, Jacqui stood in the alternative section, flipping through CDs. Annemarie smirked at me as I made my way to the section, going through CDs. I smiled at him and he raised an eyebrow at me, side-stepping to the next section to keep distance.

I started looking at albums and he spoke, "Are you stalking me?"

"No, it just seems we run into each other a lot."

He made a noise and continued looking through CDs, only to break the silence a few minutes later, "You and that girl seem pretty close. Is she stalking me?"

I laughed, "No."

He didn't respond and kept looking at CDs before stopping at one and pulling it out. He turned to look in Annemarie's direction as she looked at the dozen tee shirt designs on the wall. He turned back to me and sighed, "Look, Adrian, you probably should stay away from me. I know I've been standoffish, but you and your friend are much better off not knowing me."

"May I ask why?"

He shook his head slowly, "I can't tell you that."

"Does it have something to do with your dad?" I covered my mouth as soon as I said it, because I knew it was a mistake.

Something in his eyes broke, "What do you know about my father?" Jacqui croked.

"I was walking by your house and I saw once when he was yelling..." I stopped before I went too far into detail, "so I think I know the situation."

He shook his head, "You have no idea what kind of situation I am in."

I went to say something but he shook his head again, "It's best you leave me be. I have to meet my father now, he'll be upset if I'm late."

With that he walked to the counter and checked out, running towards the shoe store.

On the drive home, I was quiet. Annemarie kept looking at me, waiting for me to speak, but it didn't happen. Several times I texted my mother telling her I was fine and I would be home soon. The latter part may have been true, but seeing Jacqui so sad that way made me feel horrible. I would rather have him be cold with me as he was when I had met him in the alleyway. It would have been better than seeing that broken look in his lifeless eyes.

"What was up with Jacqui Larson?" she finally asked.

"Nothing," I lied, not looking away from the window.

"He seemed pretty upset when he left."

"No he just had to meet someone."

"He's gay, you know."

I coughed and turned, "He is not."

"Is too! Come on! Tell me he doesn't set off your gay radar. Tight pants, perfect hair, tongue stud, eyeliner."

"He's a singer, he has to look good."

"Whatever, I think he's into you."

"Why would you think that?"

"Do you see the way he looks at you? He never talks to people, yet he starts a conversation with you of all people. He's always staring at you in school."

"I don't even see him in school. I didn't even know he existed until that show."

"Yeah well we'll be going back to school soon and watch. He looks at you. Last year in geometry he'd stare at you like every day."

"Whatever."

"It's true."

"Shut up."

"Fine."

She pulled up to my house and pulled to a screeching halt in my driveway. I got out of the car and walked right into my mom, whose hand was to her chest. She hugged me and I hugged her back, a little alarmed.

"I heard the screech and I worried," she said, pulling me closer.

"I'm fine, Mom."

She nodded, "Oh, by the way, a Jacqui Larson called?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I took so long. I hope you enjoy.

Give me 4 comments this chapter and I update soon.

Ghost readers, comment!