Status: This story is finished. :D

Unbound

Time of Your Life

“Good luck girls.” The announcer said to the five of them before walking off to where the judges were.

“We’re in the top five!” Jo exclaimed excitedly as she hugged Charlie. The two of them and the other three finalists were now standing backstage awaiting the judges’ decision.

“Yeah.” Charlie said sadly. “We are.”

“What’s wrong?” Jo asked pulling away from her. “I thought you’d be excited.”

“I am.” Charlie lied unconvincingly as she forced a smile. “See?”

“Uh-huh.” Jo said slowly. “Well…I guess this is it then. Good luck Charlie.”

“Luck?” Charlie asked. “We all know you’re going to win.”

“Are you kidding?” Jo laughed. “Were you even listening to my answer to that question I got?”

“What are you talking about?” Charlie asked. “You had the best one!”

“Oh whatever.” Jo scoffed. “Hey, guess who I saw walk in with his band not too long ago?” She asked excitedly.

“What?” Charlie almost shouted. “He’s here?”

“Yeah.” Jo said laughing at her reaction. “C’mere look I’ll show you.” She said pulling Charlie by the hand to the edge of the curtain backstage so they could look out at the audience. “See back there? Center isle, um…about thirty rows back?”

Charlie scanned the area where Jo was pointing until she finally spotted him. He was sitting on the end of the row, beside a man with thick curly hair she recognized from the picture Jo had shown her.

“He is here.” Charlie whispered.

“See?” Jo said smiling. “I told you! That right there is a man that cares.”

“Jo…what do I-”

“Hey! Kansas and New York!” An annoyed voice hissed from behind them. “Get back onstage!”

“Oh, Charlie we’re on!” Jo whispered excitedly as she pulled her by the hand back onstage where the other three girls were standing with the announcer.

“Well,” The announcer laughed as Jo and Charlie made it to the center of the stage. “Now that we have all of the finalists, I guess we can begin.”

Charlie looked out into the audience past her mother’s murderous glare and her eyes came to rest instead, on Gerard’s. He was giving her a strange, almost sad look that made her completely forget what she was doing at that moment.

“The fourth runner up…” The announcer said as he opened one of the white envelopes in his hands. “Is…Miss Rhode Island!”

Miss Rhode Island smiled politely and walked off stage as the audience clapped for her.

“The third runner up is…” The announcer started as he opened the second envelope. “Miss Georgia!”

Miss Georgia followed Miss Rhode Island offstage to leave just Miss California, Jo, and Charlie standing by the announcer.

“The second runner up…”

“Please say my name, please say my name, please say my name!” Charlie thought furiously in her head.

“Miss California!” The announcer exclaimed.

“Dammit.” Charlie thought.

Jo looked over at Charlie standing beside her and squeezed her hand, giving her a reassuring smile.

“Alright ladies.” The announcer said. “I have in my hand here, the judges’ pick for the new Miss United States. Nervous?”

“Just open the damn envelope.” Charlie wanted to shout but instead smiled weakly at him.

“Our new Miss United States is…” He said slowly as he opened the last envelope. “Charlotte Smithson of New York!”

The entire theatre burst into applause and Lisa grinned victoriously from the front row.

“Congratulations Charlie.” Jo whispered in her ear as she hugged her tightly. “Good luck.”

“No, wait Jo I-”

But Charlie didn’t get a chance to finish as a large bouquet was being handed to her and a crown was placed atop her hair.

“Charlotte, please tell us your thoughts on being the new Miss United States.” The announcer said, thrusting a microphone at her.

Charlie looked out into the audience to meet Lisa’s piercing eyes, staring her down for her to answer. She let her eyes linger on hers for a moment before meeting Gerard’s disappointed gaze.

“I-” Charlie broke off but then stopped. She had no idea what to say. She didn’t even want this. Any of it. Jo deserved this more than anything. Not her.

“Judging by you’re speechlessness, you must be thrilled.” The announcer laughed.

A million emotions were racing through Charlie at that moment but ‘thrilled’ was definitely not one of them.

“As winner, you now have an employment contract with the Miss Universe Organization, and will be the representative of the company for one year, traveling the world, meeting heads of state, appearing on television-“

“NO!” Charlie finally shouted, causing the announcer to stop in mid speech and look at her slightly alarmed.

Lisa stared up at Charlie with a look of pure horror on her face. Gerard’s expression though, was almost the complete opposite.

“I don’t want it.” Charlie said quietly as she dropped the bouquet of roses to the stage floor. “Any of it.”

“What?” The announcer asked bewildered. “What did you just say?”

“I said I don’t want it.” Charlie said again more confidently before laughing.

The announcer just stared at her in complete shock like she had lost her mind or something. It wasn’t a doubt in the judges’ minds that she actually had.

“Jo!” Charlie shouted, looking offstage. “Jo get back out here!”

At that moment Jo was currently gathering up her makeup from one of the vanities backstage when she heard Charlie calling her name. She made her way curiously back to the side of the stage and looked out.

“Jo, come here!” Charlie said excitedly.

“What are you doing?” Jo whispered as soon as she got close enough for Charlie to hear her.

“Something I should have done, a very long time ago.” Charlie smiled before reaching up to the crown on her head and pulling it off.

“No, Charlie that’s-” Jo protested as Charlie handed her the crown.

“Yours.” Charlie finished for her. “You deserve this more than anyone.”

“But Charlie…” Jo started. “What about…?”

“I’ll be fine.” Charlie smiled. “Trust me.”

Charlie looked out at the audience and then grabbed the microphone in the baffled announcer’s hand. “As Miss USA,” Charlie started. “I hereby decline. The real winner is Joanne Green. My best friend.”

Charlie patted Jo on the shoulder and turned to walk offstage.

“Wait,” The announcer said, making her turn to face him again. “You do realize what you’re doing, don’t you?”

“Oh yeah.” Charlie laughed. “I know exactly what I’m doing.”