Status: This story is finished. :D

Unbound

Seize the Day

Charlie walked offstage, pulling her heels off as she went. The other pageant girls had already vacated the backstage area so now it looked strangely empty. She caught her reflection in passing one of the vanities and stopped. For the first time, in probably her whole life, she was actually proud of what she saw in the mirror. She grabbed one of the makeup remover cloths that another girl had forgotten and cleaned off her face, finally being able to see her own after she had finished.

“Charlotte!” Lisa shouted from behind her.

Charlie turned around to face her then smiled. “Oh, hello.”

“How dare you?!” Lisa spat literally shaking with rage.

“Dare I what?” Charlie asked innocently.

Lisa walked forward and reached out to slap Charlie across the face but Charlie knew what was coming and grabbed Lisa’s hand before she could slap her.

“I don’t think so.” Charlie said.

“Let go of me!” Lisa exclaimed, pulling her hand out of Charlie’s grip. “I am your mother! How dare you-”

“Oh no.” Charlie said interrupting her. “You lost your privilege to call yourself my mother a long time ago. Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s someone I really need to talk to.”

Charlie brushed past her and was almost to the door when Lisa grabbed her roughly by the arm and pulled her around to face her.

“You. Can’t. Do. This.” Lisa said through gritted teeth. “Go back out there right now and get your title and crown back.”

“Ha,” Charlie laughed. “Are you going to make me?”

The color, if there was any left in Lisa’s face, drained at Charlie’s words.

“You can’t do this.” Lisa repeated.

“I can do whatever the hell I want.” Charlie said. “I’m done listening to you.”

“You have nothing!” Lisa shouted before Charlie could turn and walk away again. “You leave now and you’ll be out on the streets! No job, no money and no family!”

“There are worse things.” Charlie shrugged.

“Charlotte I’m warning you, you walk away and you’ll be cut off.” Lisa threatened. “You’ll have nothing and no one. You will be alone.”

“No she won’t.”

Charlie whirled around to see Gerard standing there in the doorway.

“Gerard.” Charlie breathed.

“I thought I told you to stay the hell away from us.” Lisa spat darkly.

“Thinking and knowing are two very different things Mrs. Smithson.” Gerard said.

“Fine, I know I told you to stay the hell away from us.” Lisa said.

“Well I decided I didn’t want to listen.” He said smirking as he walked to stand beside Charlie.

“Security!” Lisa shouted. “SECURITY!”

A very large blonde haired man with glasses and tattoos entered the room as Lisa screeched.

“Ah, hello there Worm.” Gerard said smiling at the security guard. “That’s her right there.” He said pointing to Lisa.

“Wha-?” Lisa broke off as the guard, or Worm, walked towards her. “Hey! Get your hands off me!”

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way ma’am.” Worm said. “But I’d rather not have to carry you out of here.”

“WHAT?!” Lisa screeched. “Unhand me this instant! Do you have any idea who I am?!”

“Hmm…nope.” Worm said simply as he pushed her out of the door, holding onto her shoulders as he went. “Now let’s go.”

“Thanks Worm.” Gerard called after him laughing.

“Anytime Gee.” Worm called back.

“Well, now that that’s taken care of…” Gerard said as he turned around to face Charlie.

“Gerard…” Charlie started, at a total loss for words. “How did you…why…?”

“You didn’t actually think I’d give up that easily did you?” He laughed.

Charlie blushed and looked down at the floor. She had actually thought that.

“Well I guess that answers that question.” He said.

“Why did you come after me?” Charlie finally asked, looking up to meet his gaze.

“I didn’t want to let you go.” He said quietly. “I just needed some help to realize that.”

Charlie didn’t quite know what to say at that and remained silent.

“That was a very brave thing you did back there you know.” He said after a minute.

“Thank you.” Charlie said quietly.

“Well it was.” He said. “Not many people would have-”

“No they would have quit long before I did.” Charlie said interrupting him.

There was an awkward silence between the two for a moment before Charlie finally spoke again.

“Thank you.”

“For what?” He asked.

“For coming after me.” She said. “I’m glad you did.”

“Me too.” He said.

Gerard took a step closer to Charlie and her heart skipped a beat. She could feel her cheeks flush as he leaned in closer to her and he stopped for a moment and laughed.

“That’s the second time tonight that I’ve made you blush.” He said grinning.

Charlie only blushed more at that comment. Gerard laughed again before leaning in and kissing her. Charlie unthinkingly moved forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her. The two stood wrapped in each other’s arms, their lips moving together until someone wolf whistled from the doorway behind them causing them to break apart.

“Frank!” Ray exclaimed, whapping him on the back of the head with his hand.

“Ow! That wasn’t me!” Frank said rubbing the back of his head. “It was Bob!”

“Oh.” Ray said. “Sorry.”

“Sure you are.” Frank muttered, rolling his eyes.

“Charlie!” Jo exclaimed running into the backstage area from the stage.

Her crown was on her head lopsided and she was smiling broadly at Charlie as she walked across the room to hug her.

“Thank you.” Jo said holding Charlie back to face her.

“You are most welcome.” Charlie said returning the smile.

“And you!” Jo exclaimed as she reached out and pulled Gerard into a hug. “Thank you!”

“Uh…you’re welcome?” Gerard said uneasily as he shot Charlie a questioning glance. Charlie giggled quietly at his reaction. “Um…why are you thanking me again?”

“You got through to her.” Jo said happily as she released him. “Even I couldn’t do that.”

“Oh.” Gerard said. “Well… you’re welcome.”

One of the guys cleared their throat from the doorway and Gerard turned to face them.

“Sorry guys.” He said. “Charlie, I don’t think you properly met my band. That’s Bob on the end there. Mikey, my brother, next to him. The short one’s Frank and that’s Ray on the other end.”

“Nice to meet you.” Charlie said.

“Ah-hem.” Jo said.

“Oh, sorry.” Charlie said. “Everyone, this is Jo.”

Jo smiled at all of them and Charlie saw her wink at Ray. He apparently saw it too and his cheeks reddened.

“Well congratulations Miss USA.” Charlie said nudging Jo. “How’s it feel?”

“I just got off the phone with my mom and she almost had a heart attack when I told her.” Jo laughed. “They couldn’t be here for this. My dad hates flying. Oh wait! What about your mom? What did she say?”

“Um…well the phrase ‘hit the ceiling’ is putting it lightly.” Charlie said grimacing.

“That bad huh?” Jo laughed.

“Oh yeah.”

“So where is she now?” Jo asked.

“Um…well I don’t actually know.” Charlie said looking at Gerard.

“Did you send Worm after her?” Ray asked, rolling his eyes. “What did you tell him to do with her?”

“I only told him to use his imagination.” Gerard said laughing. “As he led her to the police department.”

“The police?” Charlie asked.

“What you didn’t think I’d forget about her hitting you did you?” He asked.

“She hit you?” Jo gasped.

“Oh…um yeah I forgot to tell you about that.” Charlie said sheepishly.

“Forgot?!” Jo shouted. “Screw the police I’m gonna kill that bitch myself.”

The guys all doubled over laughing at Jo’s reaction. And they watched as she started to undo the straps of her high heels.

“Jo.” Charlie said shaking her head.

“What?” Jo asked looking up, readjusting the crown on her head that was sliding off. “You don’t think I will?”

“Oh I know you will,” Charlie laughed. “But I wouldn’t want my friend going to prison over something as worthless as that wench.”

“Can’t I just hit her once?” Jo pleaded.

“No, you can’t.” Charlie said as the guys continued in their silent fits of laughter.
“Spoil sport.” Jo sulked.

“You’ll thank me later when you won’t have to give up that crown to California.” Charlie said.

“Yeah I guess so.” Jo sighed.

“So…” Frank said, looking around the room. “Now what?”