No Flaws When You're Pretending

"If you want to."

The next day, I got dressed in another pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I slipped on the shoes Brendon had also given me and headed downstairs. When I went into the kitchen to get breakfast, my mother was there.

"You're not going to school dressed like that," she said when she saw me.

"Yeah I am," I said.

"Don't talk to me like that, Lauren," my mom said. "Go change your clothes now."

"I'm not going to," I said.

"Yes you are," she said. "I won't have you going to school dressed in those clothes."

"Why not?" I asked. "Lot's of people go to school dressed like this. Besides, this is what I want to wear."

"I don't care," she said. "I won't have any daughter of mine go anywhere in anything other than respectable clothing."

"I'm not changing my clothes," I said. I left the kitchen before my mom could say something else. I grabbed my bag and went outside. I decided I'd just go to school early instead of arguing with my mom.

I got to school about 20 minutes early, so I sat on the steps at the front of school, not feeling like going in yet. Ten minutes later, I saw Jess' familiar car park next to mine.

"Hey Lauren!" she called as she walked over to me.

"Hey Jess," I said, since she was closer. I saw Lauren look at my clothes in surprise.

"What are you wearing?" she asked. I was getting annoyed already and the day had barely begun.

"Do you have a problem with my clothes too?" I asked angrily.

"No," she said, looking taken aback. "They look good on you actually."

"That's good to hear," I said, smiling at her.

"May I ask why the change in clothing though?" she asked.

"You know why," I said. "It's what I want and it makes my parents mad at me for once."

"Just thought I'd check," Jess said, smiling. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Brendon's car pull in to the school parking lot. Jess grabbed my arm. "Let's go inside."

She started pulling me up the stairs. I looked back at the parking lot and saw Brendon getting out of his car. When we got inside, Jess towed me to our lockers. I didn't bother opening mine.

"I'm gonna go, Jess," I said all of sudden.

"What?" she said.

"See you later," I said and started to walk away. I rushed back out of the front doors of the school and ran right into Brendon. I smiled up at him. "I was just going to look for you."

"What for?" he asked.

"Want to skip school?" I said, feeling like doing something else my parents wouldn't like. Brendon smiled at me.

"If you want to," he said.

"Good," I said. "Cause I do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait.
Comments??
~Sally