Distance

Mistakes.

Of course, the band director decided we needed to wear uniforms for the Christmas performance. And, of course, the outfits were ridiculous. Red suit jackets with enormous gold button and black pants that were too big and too long for me.

Just what I needed to improve my mood.

"Shit...we look like idiots." I muttered, buttoning the jacket. It was bright red with brass buttons. I'd only worn it a moment and already I was sweating.
"Don't be such a baby about it." Mike said.

Easy for him to say. He looked dashing as always, too tall, slender with those enormous eyes. Girls liked him, and sometimes it pissed me off. But for some reason, he was still with Chrissy, Danica's best friend. It had been a little over a year and half at the moment, and I sort of hated him for having such a great relationship while mine had just imploded.

"You two are always fighting," Danica said, laughter in her voice. "I love it."

She looked...well, goddamn, she looked great. The white blouse and long black skirt worked for her, somehow. Maybe it was the fact that she'd rolled up the sleeves of her blouse, untucked it, and that somehow it was already wrinkled, or the fact that you could see her scuffed Converse beneath the hem of the skirt. She fiddled with her bracelets, watching us.

"You know, this is the boy's changing area." Mike said, even though both of us were already dressed. Danica's blue eyes sparkled.

"Mike, aren't you forgetting that I've seen you in the nude several times?"

Then she burst into laughter and we just couldn't help but join in.
Somehow, whenever I was around her, she made me forget my troubles. When she was talking with me, the break-up, all the shit Maria had put me through, just didn't seem to matter anymore.

Impulsively, I stepped forward and wrapped her in a hug, letting my hands rest on her butt.

She pushed me away, a teasing grin on her face.

"What have I told you about saying 'please', Billie?"

Tre laughed and looped an arm around her. I noticed that his hand was a little close to her breast, but she didn't seem to mind. It was always like that between the two of them. Tre and Danica, they had a natural chemistry. They should been dating, could have been a couple, but Tre had this girlfriend in Florida that he'd met on summer break. For some reason, he maintainted that he was taken.

But that didn't stop him from kissing Danica on the cheek, or blushing slightly when she kissed him back.

And I couldn't quite decide if I was alright with that or not.

***

"What are you doing before the show, Danie?" I asked.

She shrugged, swinging her feet off the edge of the stage as we waited for Tre to finish changing. Mike lounged casually against the wall, watching.

"I dunno...apparently, my plans have fallen through."
"What do you mean?" Mike asked, pricking up slightly.
"Stupid fucking boys...I cleared out my afternoon for that kid Alex, but, all of a sudden, he doesn't want to hang out." She sighed, looking slightly sad. "At this rate, I'm never going to get any sort of ass."

Time stopped for me. I had two choices here, two things I could say to her. It was a split second decision. And, like an idiot, I picked the wrong one.

"Do you really want some?"

She looked at me like I was crazy.

"Sure. I haven't had a decent make-out since August."

Make-out. Fuck. The two were interchangable, right?
Wrong.

"Then why not with me?" I asked, sitting down next to her. I sat close, closer than I normally would have. "I'll come over and we'll fuck."

Mike's eyes narrowed slightly, and he looked me up and down, as if he'd never seen me before.

"Are you kidding?" Danica asked slowly.
"Nope. I mean, yeah, Mike'll be with me, but while we're...you know...he can go in another room or something."

She looked at me with big eyes, as though trying to figure me out. But then she nodded slowly.

"Well...we'll see. I'll call you when I get home."

I pulled her onto my lap and she didn't protest, simply let herself relax against me.

And for those few minutes, while we waited for Tre, I pretended to myself that I wasn't about to use my best friend for sex.