Silence

Five.

I began to avoid the coffee shop. I knew it wasn’t the most adult thing to do, but I couldn’t face Grayson. I didn’t want to be wrong. But, indeed, I was scared. There was only one day that I could go to the coffee shop and know that I wouldn’t have to deal with Grayson. He never showed up on Wednesdays. I never knew why. Most girls might want to know why. I’m not most girls. So, naturally, I didn’t care.

It was nine-thirty in the morning on Wednesday, about a month and a half after I had met Grayson. I had decided that I would bring my laptop along and work on my new book while sipping on my Chai tea. And that’s what I did. I was typing away, lost in my words. Until, I felt someone staring at me. I sighed. I had a feeling of who it was already. I looked up, and there, sitting across from me was Grayson.

“You thought you could get away from me that easily?” he chuckled. I had never felt an urge as strong as this one to slap anyone. Couldn’t he see I was busy?

“Sure.” I whispered, looking back at the screen. I had lost my train of thought. Suddenly, I was furious. I wanted to yell, to scream at him. But, I didn’t. I’m better than that.

“Why are you avoiding me?” he watched as I saved my work and shut down the computer. I didn’t answer him. I simply stood up, causing the tea to spill. I snatched up my laptop before the liquid met it. I sighed and put the laptop in its bag. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Grayson cleaning up the tea.

“Thank you.” I said, and made my way to the door. I knew he was going to follow, and at this point, I didn’t care. I could easily ignore him. Or, at least try to.

“Adia, I’ve been meaning to ask you, what do you do for fun?” he was in step with me. I rolled my eyes. I don’t have fun. I’ve never had fun.

“Fun? Ha!” I laughed quietly.

“What are you saying, you’ve never done anything fun?” he asked. I just looked at him and turned away. “You’re coming with me tonight. We’re going to have some fun. Be ready around ten.”

I was sitting on my couch with my cat, reading a new book. Though I wasn’t into it, I continued reading for the sake of passing the time. I was bored. I’d never really felt bored before. I think it was because Grayson pointed out that I hadn’t ever had any real fun. Either way, I was bored. Almost to the point that I wanted Grayson to show up. Almost.

As if on cue, someone began buzzing my apartment, breaking the silence. I jumped up at the sudden sound and regained my composure when I realized what it had been. I walked slowly to the intercom thing. I don’t really know what to call it. I rarely use it, and only knew how to let people in. I pressed the button that unlocked the door to the building and made my way to the door. It was around ten, so I was sure it was Grayson. Why was I letting him in?

I opened the door and poked my head out into the hall. I saw him standing awkwardly by the door still. I guess he hadn’t figured out which apartment was mine. As I was about to close the door, he turned his head and looked straight at me.

“Ah, so this is your apartment?” he made his way to my door and somehow into my apartment. I sighed and closed the door as well as my eyes. “It’s nice. A little bare.”

I nodded and made my way back to the couch.

“Adia, you cannot wear that where we are going. Come on,” he pulled me up from the couch. “Where’s your room? We have to find something else. Wait, I sound like a girl.”

I giggled at the last comment and the way he was talking so fast. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

“I really hate how you don’t talk. I guess I’ll have to look myself.” He started dragging me through the tiny apartment. Thankfully, the first door he opened was my tiny room. He walked in, bringing me with him, and pushed me onto the bed. For a second, I was worried. What was he doing?

He turned around to the closet and opened it. There were a few ‘peasant’ skirts and some work skirts for when I have meetings with my editor. I had some nice shirts in there, but I really didn’t have much in there. I saw that he noticed this, as he closed the door and made his way to the dresser. I held my breath as he pulled open a drawer towards the bottom. Thankfully, he skipped the underwear drawer. I watched as he rummaged through every drawer, except for the underwear drawer, which he closed right after opening it.

“You don’t have anything!” he complained. I smiled at his frustration. “Wait, I have an idea.”

Once again, I was dragged through the apartment and my shoes were forced on my feet. As I was being pulled out of the door, I grabbed my key and locked the door. I was paranoid about leaving it unlocked.

As I was being forced into a taxi, I realized I had no idea where this maniac was taking me. I wasn’t exactly fighting him, though, and it was scaring me. I was letting him surprise me. I wanted the adventure.

“You’re probably wondering where I’m taking you. You and my sister are about the same size, and she’s a party girl. She can help you find something, I’m sure. And she’ll probably want to get.”

“Party?” I asked. I wasn’t as into the adventure anymore. Parties are loud and full of alcohol and drunks. Parties weren’t good. They aren’t good.

“Don’t worry, it’s not really a party.” He assured me and rattled off the address of, I’m guessing, his sister. Even though he told me not to worry, being the kind of person I am, I did. Parties definitely aren’t my thing. I thought he would have guessed that by now.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this one isn't great, more of a filler, I guess. I have school tomorrow, so I've been worried that I won't be able to get one out before then. So. now that I have. Enjoy it. Oh, and leave a comment, PLEASE. Tell me what you thought about it, how I could improve, etc.