Where the Sky Begins

Chapter 3

After ANOTHER hour of waiting, I decided that my aunt was definitly NOT coming. And so, I had to take matters into my own hands.

I stared at the number written on my arm. "Hmmm...." I said to myself. I didn't know this dude from a hole in the wall.

Why had he even given me his number?? Well..i definitly don't feel like getting abducted and never heard from again.

So, I called a cab. I know. I'm paranoid. I took out my old beat up cellphone and dialed operator. Soon, there was a cab waiting outside for me and my 100 pounds of luggage.

When I got to my aunt's house, I knocked softly on the door. It was already 11:13. I felt bad....maybe I was waking her up.

After a few minutes, a tired looking Aunt Velma in a bathrobe and pink fuzzy slippers appeared at the door. Her expression quickly changed when she saw me. "EMMY! OHMIGOD! I'M SO SORRY! How long have you been waiting at the airport?!" "It's ok. Only an hour or so," I lied. "Goodness gracious I feel terrible. I completely forgot. Well, come on in. Your the first door upstairs on the right." "Thanks," I said. "I'm whipped."

At breakfast the next morning, Aunt Velma hit me with a suprise. "Soo, well, I-I've been thinking...." Oh God here it comes.

"I think you should get a job for the summer, you know, to buy clothes, and entertain yourself. I mean, you are a teenager." "Oh..Ok. I guess that sounds ok. Maybe it'll be kind of fun. I'll go and get ready so I can scope out some places." "Ok," she sounded relieved, I guess because I hadn't put up any objection or anything.

I finished my cereal, and headed upstairs. "OH! EMMY! I FORGOT," Aunt Velma yelled up the stairs, "THE BLUE TOYOTA IN THE GARAGE IS YOURS. THE KEYS ARE ON THE TABLE. BE CAREFUL! I HAVE TO LEAVE FOR WORK." I smiled. Muahahahaha. My own car for the whole cummer. Sweet.

I sort of remembered the layout of the town. It was fairly small, and pretty hard to get lost. As I scoped out possible places that would be fun to wrok out, my eyes landed on the perfect spot.

It was right on the beach, and as I stepped out of my car, a light sea breeze blew my hair around my face. The sign read, "JAKES SHAKES AND SMOOTHIES. NOW HIRING!" As I smiled, I opened the beach shack-like door, and walked in.
♠ ♠ ♠
*cough* :]