God Bless the Broken Road

Operation What?

Kevin and Nick were just about to dig into the cookies they had found on the counter when Joe came through the kitchen door carrying Leigh Ann.

“What happened?” Kevin asked as Joe sat Leigh up on the island so he could get another look at her ankle. As Joe proceeded to explain what happened Nick grabbed some ice and a plastic bag to put on her ankle and Kevin grabbed a towel to wipe off some of the blood that had ended up all over both Leigh Ann and Joe. As Kevin came around the island he froze.

“Um, Joe I think we might need to make a trip to the hospital,” Kevin stated

“What? Why?” Joe asked clearly frustrated.

“Well, your legs bleeding, her head’s bleeding, her ankle is probably twice the size it should be, and I’m pretty sure her shoulder’s dislocated as well.” Kevin said stating the obvious.

Joe just rolled his eyes picked Leigh Ann back up, “Fine but you’re driving.”

XXXX

Once the group arrived at the hospital they rushed the two in taking Leigh to x-ray and Joe to suture.

Three x-rays, Two shots, Three stitches, two low dose pain pills, an ankle wrap, an arm sling and a CT-Scan later Joe was wheeling Leigh Ann out of the E.R. He had gotten off lucky only needing some super glue and a butterfly bandage for his cut. As for Leigh Ann? Well she wasn’t so lucky. She had a dislocated shoulder, a mildly sprained ankle, a cut on her forehead that was sure to leave a scar, and to top all of it off a slight concussion with a headache to boot.

As Joe silently pulled her chair to a stop Leigh Ann thought back over her short hospital visit. Joe had remained incredably quiet the entire time she was being stitched up and she knew it was because he was blaming himself; she felt horrible about it because she knew it was her own stupidity that had caused it. She had known better than to jump in front of him like that. She knew when she did it that they would both end up falling, she just didn’t figure it would be quite that bad.

As they waited for Kevin and Nick to pull around and pick them up Leigh Ann decided to break the awkward silence between them.
She slowly leaned her head back on her wheel chair so she could look at Joe, “Hey Joe?”

“Yes?” He asked looking down at her with a slight smile.

“Remind me to never play basketball with you again,” she stated trying to keep her eyes from crossing as she look up at him from the odd angle.

Joe laughed as he began to help her out of the chair, “I will Leigh Ann, trust me I will.”

XXXX

Once the group returned home Kevin and Nick helped Leigh Ann to the couch while Joe promptly disappeared. Twenty minutes and a rather interesting yet embarrassing wardrobe change (with Mrs. Jonas in the down stairs bathroom) later Leigh Ann found myself resting comfortably on the family room couch watching TV when Joe reappeared carrying several bags.

“What’s this?” She asked motioning to the bags.

Joe smiled, “Operation keep Leigh Ann awake.”

Seeing her confused expression he elaborated, “Well your doctor told us that you needed to stay awake for at least the next eight hours. So I went and bought some movies and this,” he said pulling out the container of cookies and cream ice cream from one of the bags.

Noticing there was a third bag Leigh Ann pointed to it, “Well if the first bag was movies and the second bag was ice cream what’s in the third?”

Joe blushed, “Well you see I kind of forgot your shoe in the park earlier today and when I went back to get it it wasn’t there so I called Kevin and had him check what size you wore and I went and bought you another pair.” He rambled as he pulled the box out and opening it to reveal the hot pink converses inside.

As Leigh Ann stared at the shoes he added, “I know there not the same shoes you had but Kevin said you had another pair that was similar and I thought these were pretty cool and I thought you might like them so…”

Noticing he was rambling again Leigh interrupted him, “Joe?”

“Yeah?” He asked as he squatted down beside me.

“Thanks,” She said as she threw her good arm around him and kissed his cheek.

“So you do like them?”

Leigh Ann laughed, “Yes but that’s not what I ment. I ment thanks for everything, for carrying me here, for helping me to the car, for the movies, the ice cream, the shoes. Basically for being my regular knight in shiny basketball shoes.”

Caught off guard Joe laughed, “I think you’re still hyped up on pain pills. Besides it’s my fault your in this situation to begin with.”

“No it’s not” Leigh argued.

“But I’m the one that…”

Leigh Ann interrupted, “ran into me after I deliberately jumped in front of you to keep you from making the shot?”

“Yeah, well I still feel guilty about it.”

“So do I;I mean look at your leg, I will forever be known as the girl who scarred Joe Jonas’s leg.”

Joe laughed, “Yeah but this is nothing compared to what you went through.” He added as he motioned towards his leg.

Leigh sighed, “Yeah well I’ve been through worse.”

Joe ears perked up, “Oh really. Do you want to talk about it?”

“Joe it’s another story for another time. So for now why don’t you pop one of those movies in and open that ice cream before it melts."

So this is how Leigh Ann found herself curled into Joe Jonas’s side at seven ‘o’clock at night watching 27 Dresses and eating cookies and cream ice cream.

Fan girls kill her now!
♠ ♠ ♠
Please read and review!