God Bless the Broken Road

Rock Star and Princess

Joe smiled to himself as he felt Leigh Ann’s body shake in laughter as she leaned her head on his shoulder. They had been talking for hours about anything and everything, the subjects ranging from the accident, God, the tour, the band, Frankie; just about any random thing that popped in their heads. To be exact he had just finished his story about meeting the President.

“No way, did he really quote your lyrics to you?” She asked with a giggle.

Joe laughed, “He seriously did.”

Leigh Ann laughed harder, “I could totally see President Bush doing something like that! What did Nick and Kevin do when he said that?”

Joe smiled down at her, “You know, I think we were all just kind of shocked really.”

“I bet…its nice having a family that’s close isn’t it.”

This was something Joe was beginning to learn about Leigh Ann. She had a habit of changing the subject at odd times and it wasn’t that she ment to, it was just she had so much she wanted to talk about that everything all seemed to run together.

Her talkative nature had surprised him at first because she always seemed so shy but as he got to know her better she began to open up more and more he was beginning to see her differently.

This side of her was one that he was definitely beginning to like. She wasn’t as reserved as she usually was. She was more care free and relaxed; she smiled more, she cracked jokes.

That was another thing Joe found himself liking. She had an amazing sense of humor; it was something Joe could relate to.

“Umm, Joe? Earth to Joe,” Leigh Ann said as she waved her hand in front of his face.

“Huh,” Joe said as he shook himself out of his daze.

Leigh Ann rolled her eyes, “I said, its nice having a family that’s close isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it really is. Is your family close?”

Leigh Ann smiled, “Oh yeah, but my family is a lot bigger than yours is.”

“What do you mean?” Joe asked in confusion.

“Hold on, let me go get something; it’ll be easier to show you.” Leigh Ann said as she crawled off Joes Bed and left the room.

A few minutes later Leigh Ann came back in carrying a large pink scrap book, “Here.” she said as she climbed back into his bed beside him.

Once she was settled Joe sat the book in his lap and opened it to the first page.

Leigh Ann motioned to the picture, “This is my family.”

Joe stared at the picture in shock, “Wow, that’s- that’s a lot of people.”

Leigh Ann laughed, “I know, and this isn’t even all of us. Heck I have family members I have yet to meet.”

Joe laughed as she pointed to a picture, “My grandparents, and their five kids, sixteen grandkids, and eleven great grandkids; like I said a big family.”

“Who’s that you’re holding?” Joe asked as he pointed to the picture as well.

“That’s my sister’s baby, Lawson.” She said with a smile.

“Oh, you have a sister?” Joe asked.

Leigh Ann flipped to another page and pointed to a picture, “Two actually, I have two sisters and two brothers. That’s Ed, he’s thirty and he’s the oldest. Then there’s Trisha, she’s twenty seven. Then Jenny, She’s twenty five. Then me, and finally my little brother Timmy who just turned sixteen.”

Joe smiled at the glow that she gained as she talked about her family, “So is Lawson your only nephew?”

Leigh Ann laughed as she flipped to the next page, “Um, no. I have three nieces and two nephews, Kaylee, Emilee and Lawson are Jenny’s Emma is Ed’s and Owen is Trisha’s.”

Joe pulled Leigh Ann closer to him as she leaned her head on his chest once more, “Tell me about them.”

Leigh Ann smiled, “Well first there’s Kaylee. She’s five and she’s a total sweetheart. She’s so tenderhearted and would sooner give you everything she’s got then watch you go with out. Then there’s Emilee or Emmi as we call her. She’s three and Jenny often jokingly calls her the devil child. She’s so mischievous and stubborn like you wouldn’t believe. Then there’s Lawson, he’s one. He is the little prankster of the family; he constantly hides his mommy’s keys from her. Then there’s Emma, she’s four months and is our little fighter. She was born three weeks early and only weighed four pounds. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when she was only a few day’s old. Then last but not least is our little gentlemen Owen. He is seven months old and has to be the cutest and cleanest baby I have ever seen.”

Joe ran his hand up and down her back, “You miss them don’t you.”

Leigh Ann sighed, “Yeah, I hardly ever get to see them but when I do I cherish the time I have.”

“Do you not get to spend much time with your family anymore?” He asked.

“Not as much as we used to. Mostly just birthdays and holidays; maybe the occasional weekend here or there.”

As Joe continued to flip through the book they lapsed into a comfortable silence. When he came across an interesting picture he stopped, “Um, Leigh Ann care to explain this one?”

As Leigh Ann looked up she laughed, “That was taken at homecoming last year. Our homecoming dance was in October so we made it a costume party. Melanie, Carry and I were southern bells, and Jake, Kyle and Timmy were Confederate soldiers.”

“And you’re wearing a tiara because?” Joe asked as he pointed to her in the picture.

Leigh Ann shrugged her shoulders,” I was homecoming princess and it’s tradition at our school to wear your tiara to the game and dance.”

That made sense.

Joe smirked, “Princess, huh, I like it. I might just have to start calling you that.”

Leigh Ann rolled her eyes and playfully smacked Joes chest, “If you start calling me princess then I get to start calling you rock star.”

Joe laughed, “I have no problem with that.”

Leigh Ann groaned, “You have a huge ego, you know that right.”

Joe smiled, “No, I have a lot of confidence; that’s entirely different.”

Leigh Ann sighed, “Whatever you say Joe, whatever you say.”

As Joe silently continued to flip through the book he noticed Leigh Ann’s breathing evening out. He looked down and sure enough, she was a sleep. He quietly closed the book, set it on the floor, leaned back as best he could, wrapped both his arms around her, closed his eyes and promptly fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I’m back from the outer edges of Gustav and can I say he gave us some heck. We got a direct hit here in south west Mississippi. My family was lucky, we only lost a few trees, others were not as lucky. Trees are still everywhere and while we are slowly getting back our lights and phone we are going on our third night without water. Good news for me is that school is canceled till Monday so I can write some more chapters.

As for this chapter, eh it’s mostly filler but we did learn a few things about both Joe and Leigh Ann. Some of it isn’t that great but hey I was writing it in the middle of a hurricane on a laptop running off of a generator so you got to give me credit for that. Oh yeah two more things... If you haven’t had a chance to read my new Kevin story go check it out, it’s called Hello Nurse, Meet Kevin Jonas. I would love to know what you think. And the last thing, if anyone is interested in seeing any destruction photo’s from Gustav let me know and I’ll try to post some…

As always comment’s are loved and most appreciated!!