Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 19

I woke up the next morning knowing I had to go to work, I drug myself out of bed and took a shower and straightened my hair. I went to find my phone knowing I hadn’t checked it since yesterday afternoon. I dug it from the bottom of my purse and saw I had 32 missed calls. Yeah, 32. 24 were from Joe, 2 from Kevin, 1 from Nick and 2 from Mrs. Denise, and 3 from Uncle Tripp. Wonderful, he had his whole family after me. I had 12 voicemails to go along with that.

7:57 – Joe - “Kayden, hey babe, we’re just about to go on stage, I just wanted to say I love you. I’ll call you after.”

10:02 – Joe - “Hey, we just got done, are you avoiding me?” Then he laughed.

10:27 – Joe - “Kayyyyydeennnnnnnnnnn. Answer your phone. This is so pone, Don’t you know my name’s Al Capone, dude, you’re leaving me talking all alone. He’s laughing again. Seriously call me. I love you.”

11:08 – Joe - “Did you go to sleep? You little grandma, you. Actually, I know you didn’t go to sleep, Jimmy Kimmel’s on…you watch him every night and I always call at this time, and you always answer.”

11:42 –Joe - Okay Kayden seriously…I’m worried now, please call me.

12:07 – Uncle Tripp - Kayden, Joe just called me he’s worried about you, said he can’t get you on the phone, he wanted me to come by, but I’m in New York, so uh call me when you get this, and call him he’s freaking out.”

12:17 – Joe – He let out a long sigh, “Kayden, please, please call me, I can’t go to sleep until I know you’re alright.”

12:23 – Kevin – Kayden, it’s Kev, I hope you get this, Joe’s a wreck, just call him, okay?

12:34 – Nick – Kaydennnnnnnnnnn. He’s driving me nuts!! CALL HIM!

Great I feel like shit now…ugh I’m the worst.

1:02 – Joe - “Kayden! What the hell are you doing? This is bullshit! I’m going out of my mind here! Just freakin’ call me back. Damnit!

1:24 – Mrs. Denise – “Kayden, honey, I don’y know what’s going on or if your okay but can you please call someone back and let us know your okay, Joe is out and about and doesn’t know what to do with himself. Call us back sweetie.”

2:11 – Joe - “Kayden, I’m sorry I screamed at you in the other voicemail but I just—I just have a weird feeling something happened to you and I’m not there, please babe, God, just please…I love you.”

Great. This is just great. I flopped down on my bed and scrolled to Joe’s name and pushed send. I let out a huge sigh and before the first ring even finished I heard his frantic voice.

“Kayden! O my God are you okay? Where have you been?”

“Joe, I’m okay, I’m sorry I was hanging out with some friends last night and I um, forgot my phone here, and I came home and went straight to bed, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you worry, I feel terrible.”

“No, no, it’s okay, I just was worried about you when you wouldn’t ever answer or call me back—wait, who were you hanging out with?”

“Uhm, just some people I met at the studio, they’re really cool.”

“Boys?” he asked.

“Maybeeee…How was the show?”

“Amazing, as usual.”

“Mmhmm, I’m sure you rocked those white pants.”

“Oh, you know I rocked those pants.”

I laughed at him. “Oh, you know you love the plants, Kay, they’re irresistible. You can’t resist my body.” He said, I’m pretty sure he was trying to sound like Arnold Schwartzenegger but he failed, miserably which sent me into fits of laughter.

“Wo-wow Joe, that was the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Uh huh, well you just won’t get your surprise then.”

“Ooh, surprise? What is it?”

“I can’t tell you but it’s coming soon, today, maybe tomorrow, depends.”

“Alright I’ll be looking for it. But now I got to go to work so I’ll talk to you, lunchtime?”

“You know it, I love you.”

“Love you too, have a marvelous day.”

“You too, Kayden, bye babe.”

“Bye Joe.”

I got into work and started making copies of next week’s schedule when I heard the elevator ding I turned and out of my peripheral vision I saw Hutch walking out of the elevator.

“Kayden, what’s up?” he called out to me.

“Oh, just being a music slave.” I answered.

“Sounds oh so entertaining.”

“You know it, so what are you doing tonight?”

“Well after I leave here, absolutely nothing.”

“Sweet, I just got Definitely Maybe on the way in this morning, you wanna watch it? I asked clicking my tongue at him.

He looked at me with a huge grin, “Ooh girl, you know I do.” He said grabbing my shoulder.” I laughed at him and pushed him a little.

“Stop it. I’ll order the pizza, get there, say 8-ish?”

“Perfect, now it’s time for me to sing my little heart out.”

“Knock ‘em dead.”

Joe called around lunch time. We talked for a little while until he had to go do a photoshoot and interview for one of those little tween magazines.

I got off work and went home and did absolutely nothing until I heard the doorbell ring and I opened it revealing Hutch.

“Come in my dear friend.”

“Why thank you my lady.”

I walked into the kitchen, “What kind of pizza do you like?” I yelled from the kitchen.

“I just do cheese, a lot of cheese.”

I called the pizza place down the road and ordered our pizza and opened the fridge to grab a couple Vitamin Waters. I grabbed them and noticed the full, unopened jug of orange Gatorade and instantly I felt depressed. I moped into the living room and threw Hutch his Vitamin Water and popped in the DVD, “Pizza will be here in thirty.” I plopped down next to him and leaned into him. His arm fell around my shoulders, “I miss Joe.”

“Well, at least you have someone to miss.” I pouted at him. “It’ll be okay, he’s already been gone for a month, just one more to go.” I nodded, “I guess your right, but I just miss him.”

“Listen Kay, the boy is head over heels for you, it’ll be okay, he’s always going to be there, no worries little one.” I smiled up to him, “Thanks Hutch.” He pulled me further into him, “No problem, so are we going to start this movie now? I am in dyer need for a chick flick.” I laughed and pushed play on the remote.

A little bit into the movie I heard the doorbell ring and looked over at him, “Pizza!” I exclaimed and jumped up to go pay for it. We got the pizza and watched the movie with the box open between the two of us eating out of the box watching Ryan Reynolds tell the story of his love life to his daughter, it was phenomenal.

We finished the movie and were both crying, well I was crying, Hutch was ‘showing his emotions’. I laughed when he tried to explain his tears.

“Whatever Hutch, now Jimmy Kimmel’s on and we’re watching it.”

“Fine, fine, Jimmy Kimmel’s my favorite.”

I watched half the show and looked up to see Hutch laid on the arm of the couch, sleeping. I kicked my legs out, laying down on the couch and leaving my head laying on his chest and his arms still draped over me. I felt comfortable and I just wanted to pretend it was Joe and he was back in my arms.

I woke up to a crashing noise and my door shutting, “Oh, shit.” I heard someone mutter. I figured it was Hutch getting up to leave, “Hutch, shut the hell up would ya?” I turned over to get comfortable and felt a body still sitting next to me. Now I was confused.

“Kayden! What the hell is this?”

My eyes snapped open in panic and excitement.

No, it couldn’t be.