Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 27

Joe and I had to call my dad to tell him about the engagement, I wanted to wait until Joe had a free schedule, as well as my dad, so we could go and visit him together.

We were able to find a spare week in between my dad and Joe’s schedules to finally go visit him, two months later in November. The brothers decided to take it easy for a while and put all tours to a halt, they still wanted to show up here and there but for the moment, they just wanted to take it easy.

So, here I sit, in the window seat of the plane, Joe is lying in my lap with his legs stretched out on the empty seat next to him. I softly ran my hands through his hair as I watched his eyes getting heavier. “Kayden?” His voice was low and tired. “Joe.” He reached for my hand and enclosed it in his laying them on his chest, “I’m nervous.” I looked down at him confused. “About what?”

“Your dad.” I looked at him asking him to continue with my eyes, “He’s going to hate me.” I watched the worry that was etched on his face, “He’s only met me one time,” He gulped, “when you were in the hospital, that wasn’t a good time for me, I don’t think I made a very good impression.” I let out a sigh, “Joe. He isn’t going to hate you, the way I talk about you proves it. I’m crazy about you and he knows.” He looked at me relieved, “You talk to your dad about me?” I smiled, “Of course, who else would I talk to about it? He’s my best friend.” He smiled and moved around grabbing his bag from under his seat, unzipping it and pulling out his hoodie when a big stack of papers came out with it. “What is that?” I asked.

“Oh, well when I went to the studio last week they told me I got offered a movie role, I would be the lead, I brought the script so we could read it this week.” A huge grin broke out on my face, “That’s awesome, babe. I’m happy for you.” I said leaning over and planting a kiss on his lips. He smiled up at me and began to slowly doze off.

We got into Denver and grabbed our bags and headed to look for my dad. I spotted him standing near the exit on his tip toes looking over the heads of the sea of people and finally making eye contact with me. I beamed at him and started to run towards him dropping my bags at his feet and jumping into his arms, “I missed you daddy.” I whispered into his ear. He set me down, “Missed you too.” I turned and saw Joe standing there awkwardly, I kind of felt bad for him, I had just run off and left him. I walked over to him and grabbed his hand in mine and softly pulled him towards my dad, “Well dad, I know you two have met before, but, this is my fiancé, Joe.” My dad had a stern look on his face and walked up to Joe, he looked at him for a few moments watching Joe squirm before he cracked a smile and hugged him, “Thanks for making her so happy.” I smiled and Joe looked over to me relieved as we made our way out of the airport and to the car.

On the way home, Joe sat in the front seat with my dad talking about some baseball team, I just sat back and smiled in amusement at how great they were getting along, there was no longer an awkward essence between the two, it was like two long lost friends getting reacquainted with each other. He passed dad’s test because he looked at me through the rear view mirror and gave an approving nod in Joe’s direction.

We hung around the house with my dad and went skiing a few times and played in the new snow that collected on the ground. The third night we were there, my dad had to go to a party that was being held at his office so, Joe and I decided to read his script. We settled down in the love seat next to the fireplace in the living room and started reading.

About half way through, I was really liking the script, it was a good story line but I really already didn’t want Joe to do it. It was a romantic drama. Which followed the same plot as every other romantic drama, they meet, they fall in love, they get in a fight, they are forced to be apart, they find each other again, they make up, and they live happily ever after, blah blah blah.

We had now gotten to the point where the two had rediscovered each other, we got through the rest of the scene which included a very steamy and intense sex scene.

That’s where I stopped reading and looked at Joe, “Well, that’s it.” He looked at me confused, “You’re not going to finish reading it?” I shook my head, “Um, no, are you still considering doing the movie after that?” He looked at me like I was stupid, “Well, I want to, I really like the story.” I stood and turned back to him, “Seriously Joe?” He stood too, “Yes Kayden, what’s your problem?” I looked at him hurt, “Joe, I love the story, but I don’t want you doing a scene like that, that’s something intimate, that you share with someone you love.” He stepped to me, “Kayden, I’m going to be playing a part.” I shrugged, “It doesn’t matter Joe, it’s still a thing that’s supposed to be personal, not plastered all over the movie screen, I don’t want you too do it, please.” He was pissed, I could tell, “Whatever Kayden, I’ll call them and tell them I’m not going to accept, will that make you happy?” He asked as he pushed past me and headed out to the back deck. I dropped my head, “Thank you.” I said before I heard the door slam and I let the tears slide down my face. I felt terrible, I know he wanted to be in movies, but I just didn’t want him to be a part of something like that, but he was mad at me.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 11. I shuffled towards the stairs and made my way to the room, leaving the lamp on Joe’s side on so he could see when he came in and drifted off to sleep. I woke up early the next morning, I turned over and Joe wasn’t there, ‘Great, he was really, really mad at me.’ I covered my eyes with my palms and pushed them down, “God.” I moaned, “This is so stupid.”

The whole day Joe avoided me, my dad wasn’t there, I had no idea where he went but he wasn’t there, I watched Lifetime movies in my room the entire day and only left my room for food, I heard the TV on in the living room so I assumed it was Joe. We didn’t speak, but I wasn’t giving in and begging for his forgiveness this time, I had a legit reason for not wanting him to do this movie and he just couldn’t understand where I was coming from, because he wanted this part so bad.

I was laying in my bed watching Pregnant at Sixteen, I didn’t know what time it was and I was too lazy to turn over and look at the clock, but I know it was late. I heard the click of my door knob and the small creak of my door opening. I shifted my gaze from the TV to see Joe making his way to the bed. He stopped when he noticed I was awake. “I didn’t think you’d be awake.” He said while grabbing the pillow next to my head I shrugged and sat up as he turned away, “I just came to get this.” He said while holding up the pillow. “Joe.” I said softly. He stopped, acknowledging that he at least heard me. “I know your mad at me.” I said, he turned his head towards me. “Kayden, can we not do this right now, I’m just going to go to the couch.” I looked down at my hands, “Please, Joe, can you just be mad right here.” I said patting the spot next to me and letting the hurt he was causing leak from my eyes. He shook his head and moved towards the door again.

“Joe!” I slid off the bed and stood behind him, now I was mad, he didn’t want to work through this, he wanted to be a douche bag and be mad and keep to himself and not talk this through with me. He turned, “What Kayden?” I glanced at the clock, ‘Okay, it was going on midnight, he was tired and mad. Whatever so was I.’ Now I stood in front of him. “What’s YOUR problem?” I asked. “I have a damn good reason for not wanting you to play that part, that is a serious thing, obviously not to you, but to me it is. Sex is a big thing to me Joe, something that you give to the person that holds your heart.” Now I was pissed. “Joe, does that mean nothing to you?” He took a step closer to me and opened his mouth to say something but I wasn’t finished. “Joe, you gave me this ring, if you want to marry me, we’re going to have to work at this, we have to make sacrifices for each other, we have to talk things out, you can’t just decide your mad at me and shut yourself off, and completely ignore me, that’s not how it works, do you have any idea how that makes me feel?”

He was quiet, “Do you Joe?” I half yelled at him, I opened my mouth to say more but he cut me off, “Kayden! Stop! Just stop it! Okay?” I took a step towards him, “Stop what Joe?” I stepped closer to him, “Stop telling you how I feel? You’re such a bastard sometimes you know that?” I asked pushing his chest, he stumbled backwards, not expecting the push. “Such. A. Freaking. Bastard.” I said pushing him harder with each word until he was pushed against the wall. I started beating his chest with my closed fists, “Ugh! You never care, I swear, I wish you would just listen to me—”

He grabbed the tops of my arms, causing me to stop, I looked up at him, and struggled to get out of his grasp, he turned and pushed me against the wall and stepped closer to me, I kept my stern face on and he clenched his jaw then pressed himself against me and pushed his lips against mine, hard. He pulled back after a second, “You’re right.” He pushed his pelvis into mine and I let out a loud grunt. I found myself extremely turned on in this situation and grabbed the back of his neck pulled his lips to mine. I pushed his body away from mine a little bit and pulled my lips away from his and ripped the T shirt over his head threw it on the floor. He tugged the shirt over my head along with my bra, he picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist, he pushed me against the wall and kissed down my neck and chest, shoving me hard into the wall, I let the moans fall from my lips and brought his head up to kiss me again.

I could still feel the tension between the two of us as I unwrapped my legs from him and moved down to the floor pulling him with me, I don’t know what came over me, but I wanted him more than ever right that second and I couldn’t control myself. I straddled him and ran my hand over the bulge in his sweatpants and leaned over to hoarsely whispered into his ear, “Do you want me as bad as I want you right now?” He didn’t answer me, he just flipped me over so that he was above me and quickly pulled off my pajama shorts and underwear, I tugged at his sweatpants and he pulled them down, leaving him in his boxers, I could feel him in between my legs as he leaned back down to kiss me again, he was pressed on top of me and I couldn’t hold back anymore, I ripped his boxers down and ran my hand across the length of him. He dropped his head above mine and groaned into my ear, he was getting louder and he reached down and grabbed my hand and then my other and pinned them above my head. I leaned my head back, “Joe.” I moaned, and then he was pressed against me, he pushed himself up, entering me fully, causing me to yelp in pleasure, he pressed our lips together and began moving his body into mine, I moved my body opposite if his, making it more pleasurable for both of us, I couldn’t contain my screams, and was grabbing at the skin of his back, he was rougher than he had been before, but I didn’t mind, I’d never felt this way in my life, and it felt amazing. I arched my back into him and I could feel the carpet rubbing against my shoulder blades, burning the tender skin there, but I blocked it out, and focused on Joe. He braced his hands on either side of me and moved his hips faster against mine, not long after that I screamed out feeling the feeling of complete ecstacy rip through my body as Joe collapsed on the floor next to me. “Oh my God.” He said, breathing heavily. I felt a smile tug at my lips and looked over at him. “Oh my God is right, can we fight all the time?” I asked pecking his lips.

He laughed as I got up and slipped on his T shirt and my underwear and he pulled on his boxers and sweatpants as we climbed onto the bed. I nuzzled into him, “Kayden, I’m sorry I got mad at you for that, I was being a jerk. And I completely understand where you’re coming from.” I looked up at him, “Thanks Joe, that really means a lot to me.” He absentmindedly ran his fingertips across my bare arm, “And for the record, from now on, I’m going to listen to you more, and when we get mad, we’re going to talk through it, okay?” I pulled back, “Okay.” I said nodding my head. “I love you.” He said leaning closer to me, “I love you too.” I said and then pressed my lips softly against his before snuggling back into him and falling asleep.

The next day I woke up around noon to see Joe shuffling around the room, grabbing his stuff, “Joe, what are you doing?” I asked groggily. He stopped and came over and laid next to me, “I have to go back.” I frowned, “Why?” I whined. “Something came up, they’re having a meeting for the movie today and I have to go tell them I’m not interested and I have to go take care of some things with Nick and Kevin.”

“Alright, I’m coming with you.” He shook his head, “No Kayden, you’re staying here and hanging with your dad, and I’m going home, it’ll be okay, babe, you need to hang out with him, he misses you.” I nodded, “Fine.” I have to be at the airport in an hour, “Bring me?” He asked brushing his lips against my neck, “Mmhmm.” I said while bringing my lips down to meet his.

After Joe left, my dad and I hung out and it was like I never left, we went to an early movie, skied all day, played board games, talked about life, we talked about Joe and our plans, he told me he was thinking of moving to Los Angeles and opening a branch of his business there and finding another owner for the Denver office. That excited me, having my dad close to me would make it so much better. I was planning on staying with Joe in Los Angeles, for his career’s sake, any other location was pretty much out of the question.

I got back in Los Angeles and Joe picked me up at the airport, he was high on sugar or Red Bull or something because he was jumpy and overly excited and kept laughing, it was werid, “Joe what has gotten into you?” He looked over and grabbed my hand, “Nothing, I’m just happy to see you.” I smiled and shook my head and noticed we weren’t going in the direction of my house, “Joe…Where are we going? I don’t want to go anywhere, I’m tired, I just want to go home.”

He gave my hand a squeeze and smiled over at me. I groaned and shrugged down into my seat and shut my eyes, aggravated that he wasn’t just taking me home, I was no longer paying attention to where we were going until the car stopped, I looked out the window, we were in a neighborhood, “Whose house are we at, Joe? I don’t want to visit anyone, I just want to go home.” I told him, clearly aggravated. “Come on.” He said tugging my hand. I slipped out the car and we walked up the front sidewalk, Joe walked straight into the house without knocking, “Joe! Whose house is this? You can’t just walk in.”

Joe stayed silent as I looked around, ‘Wait, why did most of this furniture look so familiar, like that couch looks exactly like—’ My mouth dropped, “Oh my God, that’s my couch.” I looked over at Joe who had his arms crossed and wore a smirk on his face.

“Welcome home, babe.” He said proudly opening his arms to me.

“Unbelievable.” I muttered before a huge grin set on my face and i ran over to his open arms.