Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 32

I let my eyes flutter open I came face to face with Joe. “Morning.” He smiled at me. I smiled weakly and shut my eyes again, “Morning.” I said snuggling into his chest. He kissed the top of my head, and ran his hands up and down my back causing goose bumps to dart up all over my body.

Our quiet moment ceased when Frankie ran in the door, screaming, “SANTA CAME!!” I could hear Kevin in the hall, “Tank! Knock before you go in there.” He finished as he ran in the room grabbing for Frankie. “Dude, chill, he’s fine.” Joe said lifting his head up to look at Kevin. “Well you never know with you two.” He smirked shaking his head, “Mom has breakfast, and Santa came.” He said winking, looking down at Frankie, “So come on.” He said, walking out the door.

Joe climbed off the bed and stretched his arms over his head swaying his body back and forth, I stood on the bed and did the same thing. He turned around, “Would you like a ride downstairs, Miss Bryant?” I smiled and curtsied, “Why, thank you Mr. Jonas, I would absolutely love that.” I said wrapping my legs around his waist.

We walked downstairs and into the kitchen, we were the only ones missing from the table and everyone else was eating bacon, eggs, pancakes, and hashbrowns. “You two better hurry, I don’t think Frankie can hold out much longer.” Mr. Paul said looking over at Frankie who was bouncing in his seat and watching everyone eat.

We finished eating and we all piled into the living room. Frankie tore at the paper on his presents, we let him go first simply because of the fact we didn’t want to clean up after he peed on himself because of excitement. His parents got him about 30 games for his Wii and DS, and an acoustic guitar. Kevin got him an electric guitar that was customized to fit his body. Nick got him a video camera to videotape whatever a 10 year old thinks is cool. Joe had called me the week before and told me not to buy for Frankie that he found the perfect thing and it was going to be a surprise for the rest of the family as well, no one knew except for Joe. That worried me just a tad. Joe told Frankie that he had to set up his present in the backyard later, not to worry about it. This worried me even more.

After Frankie was done, he sat on the couch and played his DS while everyone else opened presents. Denise and Paul gave Joe and I gift cards to home-decorating stores throughout the city. Nick also got us a video camera, it was nicer and it was awesome, “For the memories to come.” He said as I opened it up, the kid was deep. Kevin got me a day to the spa and Joe and Nick tickets for them to go to a Yankee’s game. The boys and I pitched in and got their parents a trip to Hawaii in a few weeks. We got Nick a new customized drum set. Kevin got a new luggage set since his old one had an unfortunate encounter with Joe.

Then there was Joe and I, we didn’t really want to give our presents in front of everyone but at the same time we didn’t care, everyone was so busy taking presents out of packaging and practicing their new instruments and such, no one was really paying attention to us anyway.

Joe pulled me closer to him and brought his mouth to my ear, “You first.” I pulled back and winked at him reaching behind the couch pulling out the large box. “Whoa.” he said as I sat half on his lap and half on mine. He ripped the paper off as I started explaining, “I mean, I know it’s probably not what you expected, but I just wanted to do something that would mean something to us you know.” He had pulled the top off and threw the many sheets of tissue paper on the floor and was now looking from me to the box sitting in his lap, he leaned over, “It’s perfect.” He whispered onto my lips before pressing his against mine. I smiled and watched him run his hand over the smooth surface.

It was a picture of Joe and I that I had gotten blown up to poster size, a day when we all went to the boardwalk and the beach. It was the sides of our faces, my hair was softly blowing and Joe towered over me, his forehead pressed against mine, our noses softly touching, there was a shadow cast over our faces but the smile plastered on both of our faces was evident. The background was striped with gold and pink and orange as the sun set over the water. It was gorgeous.

He smiled up at me again, “This is going above our bed.” He said softly. I grabbed his hand, “There’s more.” He cocked his head to the side and lifted the picture up setting it on the floor. He pushed the layer of tissue paper on the floor revealing a picture of me that he had taken at the park, I had his jacket on and I was laying on the ground laughing after Joe had dropped me, he stood over me to take the picture. He had always said it was his favorite picture of me. He grinned at the picture, “Kayden.” He said softly running his hand over the picture, he looked up at me, “You’re beautiful. You know that right?” I smiled and leaned forward, “I love you. Do you know that?” He pecked my lips a few times, “I love it, this is coming with me everywhere.” I smiled, “I’m glad you like it.”

“And you.” He said pointing at me and pulling put a box, obviously he had wrapped it himself. He smiled and handed to me, “Here you go.” I tore the paper off and slid the lid off I pushed the tissue paper out of the way and picked up a 3 subject notebook with drawings all over the front, there were little stick people and random designs, I looked at Joe puzzled, “What is this?” I said laughing a little. I started flipping through the pages, every page was covered with doodles and words and, “Lyrics?” I asked. He nodded, “It’s my song book, I stared a new one a few weeks after I met you, everything in there is for you.” He said staring into my eyes. I looked back down at the pages and read all the words, there were tons of songs, about love, our love. “Joe…” I whispered. My eyes glassed over with a layer of tears, “This is beautiful.” He smiled and leaned forward running his hand over my cheek, and softly kissing me, he pulled back a little, “Merry Christmas.” I smiled up at him, “Merry Christmas.”

Joe grabbed my hand and led me outside, “Help me?” he asked leading me into the garage. “What is it?” I asked. “Frankie’s present.” I nodded and he wheeled out a huge fan type thing. “Joe what is that?” He smirked at me, “You’ll see.” We walked into the backyard to see something laid on the ground, “Joe really…what is it?” He just smiled and hooked up the fan. He turned it on and I started laughing and shook my head, “You got him a space walk?” He jumped off the ground as the space walk grew off the ground, “Yeah! Can you go get him?” I pouted, “It’s your present.” He was bouncing on his toes, “I know, but I want to play.” I shook my head, “Fine.” He ran over and ripped his shoes off climbing into the space walk.

I walked back into the house, “Frankie!” I called. A few moments later he ran to where I was, “Do I get my present now?” He asked excitedly. “Yeah.” I laughed, “Come on.” I said grabbing his hand. We ran into the backyard and Frankie abruptly stopped when we turned the corner of the house, “A space walk!!” He screamed looking up at me, I smiled and nodded my head, “Yup, a space walk.” He smiled up at me, “Frankie! Come on dude!” Joe called from the space walk, “This is awesome!” Frankie’s hand slipped out of mine and he darted towards the space walk.

An hour later, the entire family was in the space walk, yes all of us, Joe, Frankie, Nick, Kevin, Mr. Paul, Mrs. Denise and myself. It was the most fun I’d had in a long time. “This is the best present EVER!” Frankie yelled over everyone’s laughter. We all agreed and kept playing like we were all ten years old.

We abandoned the space walk after a couple of hours and all piled into the house to eat dinner. Denise had made ham and a variety of vegetables. We all sat around the dinner table and prayed and started to eat. I stayed quiet and watched everyone talking and laughing with each other, I watched Denise watching her boys and smiling at each of them, and I focused on the food in front of me. It made me miss my mom, a lot. My dad also, I had called him to see if he wanted to come out here for Christmas but he had an excuse, as always. I felt my eyes glaze over with tears as I stared at my plate.

I felt Joe’s mouth next to my ear and his hand slightly rubbing my leg, “Are you alright, babe?” He asked with a worried tone in his voice. I blinked causing a couple of tears to stream down my face and looked over at him, “I’m okay.” I said sniffing back he tears. He brushed my tears away with his thumbs, and cupped my face with his hand, “You sure?” He asked pulling his eyebrows together. I shook my head, “Yeah.” He kissed the corner of my mouth and nodded. He kept his hand on my leg, running his thumb along the seam of my jeans.

After dinner we all helped Denise clean the kitchen and went our separate ways. Joe and I ended up curled up in front of the fireplace in the living room. He was stroking my arm and mine were wrapped around his waist. “So what was going on with you at dinner?” He asked softly. I brought my head up to look at him, “I don’t know. I was just watching your mom with you guys and it just made me miss my mom.” I said, a fresh layer of tears appearing in my eyes. “My dad too, he’s not even here.” Joe tightened his grip on me and tilted my chin up to look at him, he was about to say something but I cut him off, “And you, you’re leaving me tomorrow, again.” I said looking away from him. “Kayden.” He pushed my face up to look at him. “Where do I want to be?” I shrugged. ‘I don’t know.” I mumbled. “Home?” He set his forehead against mine. “Home is where the heart is.” He said softly. I smiled a little, and decided to play along, “And where’s your heart?” I asked playing with the ends of his hair. “Without hesitation he replied, “With you.” I smiled, “Is it?” He rubbed his nose against mine, “Of course.” He smiled and pushed his lips against mine, taking my bottom lip between his. He pulled back after a few moments, keeping his face close to mine, “I love you.” I smiled, “I love you too, and I’m sorry.” He backed away a little, “For what?”

“Being selfish…again.” I said pouting. “No.” He said. I cocked my head. “No.” He repeated. “You’re strong and you miss them, it’s okay Kayden, I’ll always be here.” I smiled and rand my fingers along his jaw line, “Out of all the things I’ve lost, I’ve found my rock.” I smiled leaning closer to him, “You.” I said against his lips. His lips quickly attached to mine, his tongue outlined my lips and I allowed him in. I leaned back on the couch pulling him with me. We were soon interrupted by someone clearing their throat, “Kevin, why do you always walk in when we’re about to—Oh hey dad.” He said looking over the back of the couch. My eyes widened and my face burned red. I didn’t attempt to make eye contact I just shut my eyes. “It’s starting to get late, are you two staying here again?” Joe shook his head, “Uh,” he looked down at me and slightly shook my head, “No, we were just about to head home.”

“Alright, Merry Christmas, bye you two. See you tomorrow, Joe don’t forget flight leaves at noon.” He shook his head, “Bye dad, love you.” I heard Mr. Pauls voice from down the hall, “Love you too, Joe.” He paused, “You too Kayden.” I smiled, “Night Mr. Paul, Merry Christmas.” I called.

We managed to drag ourselves off the couch and tell the family goodbye before making our way home. We trudged up the steps, both collapsing on the bed and like two magnets, pulled ourselves closer to the other.

I snuggled into Joe and my eye were getting heavy, “Kayden.” He spoke softly, “Joe.” I said back. “Marry me.” He said, grinning. “I chuckled a little, “I already agreed to that babe.” He grabbed my left hand and spun the ring around my finger, “I know, but I want us to set a date and plan it and stuff.” He kissed my forehead, “Soon.” He finished. I smiled, “Well, when you get back, we’ll figure it all out, okay?” He buried his face into my hair, “Mmkay.” He said against my ear. “Joe.” I said a few minutes later, “Hmm?” He said. I pulled back and looked at him, “I can’t wait until you’re my husband.” I smiled. His sleepy eyes opened and he grinned at me, “Kayden.” He said, playing along, “Yeah?” I asked. “I can’t wait until you’re my wife, all mine.” My smiled grew and I moved forward connecting my lips with his, “Joe?” I said pulling back, “Kayden” he shot back at me, “I love you,” He pecked my lips once more, “I love you too.”