Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 31

It was the night before Joe was supposed to come home, their flight was coming in at 8:00 AM. I turned over and looked at the clock, 4:26 AM, the bright numbers burned into my eyes. I groaned, I’d only been able to sleep for twenty minutes at a time since I had decided to go to bed at 10:00. “This is ridiculous.” I muttered to myself. I shut my eyes attempting to go back to sleep.

The next time I opened my eyes I was reaching under my pillow to grab my buzzing cell phone, I glanced at the clock, 5:32, well at least I slept for an hour. I read the screen, ‘1 New Text Message: Joe.’ I smiled and opened it, ‘I get to see you in 2 and a half hours :)!! I can’t wait to see you, I love you.’

I smiled and stretched out softly stroking the sleeping puppy next to me, I decided to get up and take a shower since Denise, Paul, and Frankie would be here at 7:00 so we could start to make our way to the airport.

I showered and let my hair air dry while I applied some bronzer and mascara. I lightly blow dried waves into my long hair letting it take its natural form. I walked into my closet and put on my black skinny jeans, a white V-neck with black paint splatted on it and my multi colored high-top Nike Dunks. I sprayed perfume on myself and walked out, looking at the clock, 6:45. Butterflies appeared in my stomach, one hour and he was mine again, just one hour, I grinned at myself in the mirror nodding at my appearance.

I left Kipp asleep on our bed and walked downstairs, grabbing a pack of Pop Tarts and sat at the counter with a Red Bull, waiting for the Jonas’. About ten minutes later, I heard a car pull up and grabbed my phone and bag and raced out the door and into their car.

Mrs. Denise turned around, “Excited?” I bit my lip to hold back the excited squeal that was begging to be released behind my grin, and nodded my head enthusiastically, she laughed and turned back to her husband, sharing a light conversation.

I turned to Frankie, “Ready for your brothers?” I asked ruffling his hair. He smiled, “Yeah, I miss them.” He said while directing his attention out the window.

I sat in the car as we sat in traffic, the usual ten minute drive to the airport took almost an hour. We parked the car and I swiftly walked to the inside of the airport, considering it was Christmas Eve, the airport was packed. I walked to the huge corridor where all the terminals lead to and stood at the exit, with Denise, Paul and Frankie settling on a bench behind me. I wasn’t sure which terminal they would be coming from so I stood facing the crowd in a place where they would have to pass.

I looked down at my phone, 8:09, “Where are they?” I muttered to myself, balancing on my tippy toes leering over the tops of people’s heads as they passed by. My heart was beating in my throat, increasing with each second that passed by.

Then I saw it, a familiar head of dark raven hair followed by two with soft, bouncing curls, they were making their way from the private terminals carrying their luggage, I saw Joe obviously walking on his tip toes with his head held high, scanning the crowd.

I dropped back down flat on my feet and captured my breath, then I ran, I shoved past people and weaved in and out in the direction I saw him in, then I saw him, his eyes locked with mine and he smiled, I picked up speed and he threw down his suitcase and carry on next to Kevin and opened his arms, bending his knees, preparing himself to catch me. I finally reached his arms and wrapped my legs around his waist and leaned forward pressing my nose into his shoulder, breathing him in. He nuzzled his head into my neck, softly sponging kisses onto the soft skin there.

I pulled back and set my forehead against his, interlacing my fingers behind his neck, “You’re really here.” I whispered. He tightened his grip on me, “You better believe it” He said onto my lips before pressing his against mine, he pulled back, “I missed you so much.” He said brushing his lips against mine and kissing me again. I smiled and moved in crashing our lips together again, “I can’t believe you’re here.” I said lightly pecking his lips, “I love you.” I said rubbing my nose against his. I could see his family all hugging each other from the corner of my eye and leaned back and nodded my head towards them, “They missed you too.” He nodded and slowly let me down never breaking eye contact until he turned to hug his mom, dad, and little brother.

After everyone told everyone hello and I missed you we all headed to the parking garage. Joe kept one arm wrapped around my waist bringing me closer to him as we walked towards the car.

We all climbed in, Kevin, Nick, and Frankie shared the middle seat as Joe and I sat in the back seat, my legs were draped over his and his arm wrapped around my waist bringing me close to him we were staring into one another’s eyes, both smiling like idiots. A few minutes into the ride Denise chimed up, “Plans for today boys?” She asked from the front seat. I heard Nick pipe up, “Sleep.” I saw Kevin nodding, “Yeah I totally agree I’m worn out, and I need to wash clothes.” Denise nodded, “Okay, we’ll all get back to our houses, you boys sleep, wash clothes and meet back at our house at 7:00 for dinner. Sound good?”

I heard a chorus of ‘Yeah mom’ from the seat in front of us, and then a “Joseph?” Once again from Denise. “Yeah mom, sounds great.” He said without looking away from me. I just smiled and moved my face closer to his lightly running my fingers along his jaw and up to trace his lips. He grabbed my hand and kissed my palm softly. He smiled at me warmly and I lowered my head and nuzzled into his neck. He laid his hand over my left one that was resting on my thigh, lightly fingering my ring. He wrapped his hand around mine and rubbed his thumb along my knuckles.

We got to our house and Joe pulled out his luggage from the trunk. We told everyone bye, “Are you two staying over tonight for Santa?” Denise called from her rolled down window. I looked over at Joe, he smiled and I turned back, “Yes ma’am, we’ll see you all at seven.” I smiled and waved back at her. I brought his luggage that I was carrying in the kitchen and turned to help Joe through the door. He got in and let out a sigh, “Thank God I’m home.” He smiled.

I leaned against the island and he sauntered over to me, he trapped me in between his arms and smiled at me as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He dipped down and began sponging kisses down my neck to where my V-neck ended. He drug his nose up my neck and as I expected him to kiss my lips he kissed the tip of my chin. I looked up at him and pouted, “Jooooe.” I whined. He laughed a little and pushed his finger to my lips, “I missed you.” He said matter-of-factly. He removed his finger from my lips and I tilted my head to the side and smirked, “I never get tired of hearing that.” I said playing with a lock of his hair over his eye.

He pulled back and grinned at me and moved his lips to my ear, “How about I show you?” He gruffed into my ear. I pulled his body closer to mine and he moved back, finally capturing my lips with his, slowly massaging his mouth with mine before slipping his tongue into my mouth, we moved at a slow paced rhythm.

Our clothes slowly drifted off as we headed up the stairs to our bedroom, Kipp was laid out lazily on the floor, ignoring us. Joe laid me down on the bed and lowered himself over me. He pulled away from my lips and stared into my eyes, “I love you.” He said sweetly. I grinned, “I love you too.” I said before pulling his lips to mine again.

Joe eased himself into me and we moved together, we were no longer Kayden and Joe, we were like one person. Every move we made was full of love and passion. We didn’t stop until we were both sure that the other was fully satisfied by moaning and yelling out the other’s name, it was exhilarating to be out of breath due to sheer passion. It was beautiful. I don’t care how corny it sounds, the love we made, was beautiful.

We laid there wrapped in each other’s arms, letting our heartbeats and breaths return to a regular pace. I was drawing invisible figures across his stomach with my fingertips. He was absentmindedly running his hand along my arm. I heard his breath becoming steadily deeper, and my eyelids getting heavier. “I love you Joe.” I said softly into his ear planting a small kiss on it. “I love you too.” He said scooting his body closer to mine and tightening his grip around my waist.

When I woke up I stretched in Joe’s arms and looked over at the clock, 5:47. Ugh we slept forever. I looked over to Joe who was still in a deep sleep. I kissed his forehead and slipped into my closet and threw on some sweats and walked out picking up Kipp off the floor, he attacked my face with his puppy kisses, “Aww, Kipp, no one pais attention to you all day, huh? Aww wanna go outside? Outside?” I cooed to him as he wagged his tail causing his whole body to move. I giggled at him and set him down in the backyard.

I played with Kipp for a while before he went and sat at the back door, telling me he was ready to go in. We went inside and Kipp laid out on the couch, falling asleep again. I shook my head and walked upstairs, checking the clock, 6:16. I sighed and sat on the edge of the bed rubbing Joe’s bare back, I saw the goosebumps forming on his skin. I smiled, “Joe.” I whispered. He stirred and turned over, opening his heavy eyelids, “Hmm?” he hummed out. “Time to get up, we have to go to your parent’s.” He groaned and sat up wiping his face. “Alright.” He said pecking my lips.

We got ready and I pulled the two huge bags of presents from the hall closet, bringing them out to Joe’s car. We both changed and cleaned up, refixing our hair and putting on warmer clothes, packing our clothes to spend the night, along with the things we needed for Kipp.

We made it to the Jonas’s house and I drug the presents out of the car and into the house, Joe grabbed our overnight bags from the backseat and we walked into the warm house that smelled like pine and sugar cookies, the smell of Christmas.

I smiled as Frankie came running at full speed at me, “More presents!” He yelled. Then he saw the small puppy trailing behind Joe and I, “Kipp!” he yelled once again causing the puppy to become ecstatic and start jumping at Frankie’s feet, “He missed you Frankie.” I said ruffling his hair. Joe brought our stuff up to his room and I set the presents near the tree before walking into the kitchen, “Need any help Denise?” I asked her. “Oh, hi Kayden, yeah, can you help me bring all this to the table?” She said gesturing to the array of food containers that sat on the counters.

Everyone was sitting around the table, holding hands, Mr. Paul said grace and the sounds of clanking silverware overpowered the room. Joe sat next to me kept looking over at me smiling, I returned the smile as we ate. “That was so good, Denise.” I said wiping my mouth after everyone was finishing up. “Yeah.” Everyone followed my statement causing her to laugh. She laughed, “Thanks everyone."

We cleaned the kitchen and everyone went and changed into our pajamas. We all gathered back in the living room one by one and curled up with blankets and pillows and focused on the TV. We settled down and watched A Christmas Story, which was inevitable, Christmas just wasn’t Christmas without the Christmas Story marathon.

After the movie was over, Frankie insisted everyone go to bed so Santa wouldn’t pass up the house. We all laughed but agreed with the persistent boy that stood in the middle of the living room. Everyone said their goodnights and went their separate ways.

Joe and I went upstairs and settled into his bed. I curled up next to him and looked at the clock, 12:08. I smiled, “Hey Joe?” I said picking my head up to look at him. “Yeah?” He said looking up at me. “Merry Christmas.” I said returning his smile and pecking his lips. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my temple as I settled back into him.

“Merry Christmas Kayden.” He breathed out before the rhythm of his heartbeat lulled me to sleep.