Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 5

My hand flew to my mouth as I looked around my room. The lights were off but I could see him because candles covered every surface of my furniture. There were red rose petals scattered all over the floor and strewn across my bed along with an acoustic guitar. Then my eyes found his, he smiled at me, it was the most sincere smile I’d ever seen and I couldn’t help but return it.
He just stood there and looked at me with the same smile on his face. He never said anything so I broke the silence, “Joe what is this?”

His smile grew as he walked to me and took both of my smile hands into his much larger ones and began to run his thumb across my hand. His eyes never left mine as he walked backwards and motioned for me to sit on the bed while he leaned over to grab the guitar.

“Joe—” He pressed his finger to my lips before I could finish my sentence. He sat next to me on the bed and I pulled my legs up, and sat Indian-style in order to face him. He still hadn’t said one word to me which was beginning to bug me. He began to softly strum a tune on the guitar and looked back into my eyes and began to talk.

“Kayden, I know I haven’t known you for that long but ever since I met you, I knew that there was something different about you, then we started hanging out and I became a different person, a better person, I wanted to be a better person for you, it’s been a long time since I’ve really cared for someone, and with you it all feels right. When I’m with you, I’m so unbelievably happy, and when I’m not with you, you’re all I think about. I want to be with you Kayden, you’re the one, the one I want to be there for…I wrote this song not to long before you got here, I was so sick of being alone and feeling empty, but then I met you, and it all changed, I feel alive again, now I have something to look forward to…you…”

Then, he started singing, he had the most beautiful voice I’d ever heard.

“Every time I think I'm close to the heart
What it means to know just who I am
I think I've finally found a better place to start
Where no one ever seems to understand
I need to try to get to where you are
Could it be you're not that far?
You're the voice I hear inside my head
The reason that I'm singing
I need to find you
I gotta find you.”

As the words that he just sang and those sweet words that had just escaped his lips processed in my head I opened my mouth to say something but he stared into my eyes and began to talk again;

“I found her Kayden, I found her, it’s you, you’re the one that makes me feel complete, and I think I’m falling in love with you.”

I couldn’t hold it in anymore, the tears began to fall down my face, this boy, the boy that I had grown fond to the moment I laid eyes on him, just told me he was falling in love with me. He set his guitar to the side and held my face in his hands wiping my tears.

“K, that was supposed to make you happy, not cry.”

“No, I’m happy, so happy, I feel the exact same way, Joe, I’ve never felt this way about anyone, ever. I feel the exact same way.”

He scooted over and wrapped his arms around me, I felt so safe, I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck and wrapped my arms around his waist. We pulled apart after a couple moments and he pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and put his cheek to mine and whispered in my ear, “You’re amazing.” He then left a trail of kisses down my jaw line and stopped and looked me in the eyes and then leaned in and kissed my lips with sent tingles through my body and filled my stomach with the warmest, most comforting feeling I’ve ever felt, it wasn’t rushed or forceful, it was sweet and caring, it was perfect. He pulled away and put his forehead to mine and twisted a strand of my hair, “Let’s watch a movie.” I nodded my head and went to get up but he grabbed my hand, “Up here? I like your bed, its comfy.” He said and jumped backwards and sunk into my temperpedic mattress. “Alright, there’s only a few movies up here though, and I’m not going downstairs so we’ve got,” I paused as I made to the TV and picked up the movies on the shelf, “Meet the Robinsons, 10 Things I Hate About You, Stomp The Yard, and Tommy Boy.” I said as I held up the movies. “Um, Tommy Boy?” he asked.

I smiled, “Excellent.” I put the DVD in and grabbed the remote and walked around ,y room and blew out the candles and then turned to Joe, he opened his arms and I crawled onto the bed and into his arms. While the previews played I looked up at him and asked, “So, how’d you pull all this off? We were together all day.” I said gesturing to my room.

“Well, I talked to your uncle and he let me borrow the key, and while we went and ate dinner I got Kevin and Nick to come set all this up.”

“Well aren’t you sneaky, Mr. Jonas.” I said well planting a kiss on his cheek and then let out a huge smile, “What?” he said looking slightly confused. “Oh, just the fact that I can do that whenever I want.” I grinned. He laughed and said, “Or this?” and slid his hand to the back of my neck and gently kissed my lips, I just smiled and said, “I could get used to that.” I layed my head on his chest and turned back to the TV as the opening credits began to play.

The next thing I knew, there was a loud obnoxious noise coming from somewhere and I just wanted it to go away. I opened my eyes and let them adjust I felt a pressure on my waist and looked down to see Joe’s arm, I smiled to myself and turned to look at the clock to my left and saw it read 3:08 AM. Oh shit, it’s late, really late, then I realized the noise was his phone sitting on my other nightstand. I shook him, “Joe, wake up, your phone’s ringing.” He brought his hands to his eyes and rubbed them and then opened them to reveal his beautiful eyes, he looked adorable. He opened his eyes, “Hmm?” I rubbed his arm, “Come on Joe, get up, it’s really late, it’s probably your parents.” His phone started ringing again and I reached over and picked it up, the screen read ‘Home’ I realized that Joe wasn’t coherent so I picked it up, “Hello?” I heard a sigh of relief on the other line. “Kayden thank God; I just woke up to see if Joe had made it back and he wasn’t here so I got worried.” Mrs. Denise’s voice filled my ears. “I’m so sorry Mrs. Denise, we were watching a movie and I guess the time got away I’m sorry, we just—” She cut me off, “Nonsense, it’s fine, I’m just glad he’s alright.” Joe was now propped up on his elbows and running his hand through his disheveled hair. “Yes ma’am, but Joe is really tired and I really don’t feel comfortable letting him drive home like that.”

Mrs. Denise knew the story of my mom and said, “Oh, no problem sweetie, go back to sleep now.” I nodded, “Thanks Mrs. Jonas. Bye.”

I looked over at Joe, “Your mom was worried, and she said you can stay here, I don’t want you driving home tired like this.”

“Sweeet.” His voice was muffled because he had already laid back down on the pillow, I laughed at him and switched off the lamp and laid back down with my back to Joe. I smiled to myself as I felt his arms slide around my waist and pull me towards him, “Joooe.” I giggled. He buried his head into my hair and murmured, “Whaaat? I was cold.” I grinned, “Mmmhmm.”

I could get used to this.

I woke up the next morning and saw the clock read 9:37, I stretched and was glad today was my day off, the smile slid off my face when I turned over and realized Joe wasn’t there. I looked over to the connecting bathroom and the door was open so I assumed that he wasn’t in there either. I got up and walked down the stairs and found Joe. He was standing in my pantry, scratching his head and reading the instructions on the instant pancake box. I stood there silently watching him read to himself and nod his head side to side. I walked over to him and slid my hand down his back, “Need some help?” He jumped and turned to me, “Hey, I just wanted to make you breakfast.”

I wrapped my arms around his waist and tilted my head to the side, “You’re so cute, let’s cook together, it’ll be fun.” He smiled, “Good, because I really have no idea what to do.”

We made the batter and I got the mixer out and gave it to Joe, “mix that and I’m going to put the pan on the stove.” I turned and heard Joe turn the mixer straight to high, I turned, “Joe! NO!” but he already did it, he stuck the mixer into the bowl and the batter went flying everywhere, including all over Joe and I. He turned the mixer off and looked at me, “K, I’m SO sorry.” I looked at him like I was mad, then I couldn’t hold it in anymore, I started busting out laughing, which caused Joe to laugh. After we cleaned the kitchen and two batches of burnt pancakes later, thanks to Joe, we had perfect golden brown pancakes sitting at the table. Joe sat across from me, “So, are your plans today?” I asked him. “Well, we have to go to the studio to pick the case for the new CD and that’s all, you want to do something tonight?” I scrunched up my face and tapped my finger to my chin, “Umm, well, I think…” He poked out his bottom lip and revealed the most adorable puppy dog eyes I’d ever seen, this caused me to smile, “I’d love to.” He grinned and got up to put our plates in the dishwasher I walked in and jumped on the counter.

He turned to me, “Alright, I’m heading home to clean up, and plan our events for tonight, and then I’ll let you know what’s going on.” I followed him to the door. “Bye, have a good day, boyfriend.”

He turned around and had the biggest smile on his face and grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him, and planted a few pecks on my lips causing me to giggle, “Have a good day off, girlfriend, I’m thinking of something special for you.”

I grinned up at him, “You don’t have to do anything special, I just want to be with you.”

“I know, but you’re worth it.” He winked at me and turned to leave.

I shut the door and leaned against it and thought, ‘finally, a guy I finally truly care about, someone that likes me for me, he’s amazing.’