Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 9

Joe and I took turns driving and made it into Salt Lake City by midnight. We stopped at a Wal Mart on the way in and got a few groceries so we’d have food to eat in the morning. I stood in front of Joe on the basket underneath the buggy while his arms laid on either side of me gripping the handle while we both piled food into the buggy.

While we were checking out, with enough food to last for a week or two, the older cashier kept eyeing us with a smile on her face while we fought over who was going to pay, he tore my card out of my hand and stuffed it into his wallet, “You can’t pay for anything else.” I crossed my arms and huffed air out of my mouth, as the cashier said, “That’ll be 86.10.” Joe handed her his card and turned back to me, I narrowed my eyes at him, he rubbed the sides of my arms and kissed the tip of my nose, then my forehead, causing me to smile, he pulled back and returned my smile before signing the receipt the cashier had printed out, I was loading the bags into the buggy when she asked, “So, are you two on your honeymoon?” My eyes bugged out and I looked at Joe who just smirked while he signed his name, and when he handed her the receipt he said, “Yeah, we are.” While he looked over at me I cocked my head in confusion as he walked over and slid an arm around my waist, “I knew it!” She exclaimed, “You two are so cute, have a good time.” Joe nodded, “Thank you ma’am.”

When we were out of earshot from the old cashier I looked at Joe, “Why’d you do that?” I asked with a laugh. He shrugged, “I don’t know…I just like the sound of that I guess.” I did not answer him I just laughed and thought, ‘Whoa, did he just say he likes the sound of us being married? What’s that supposed to mean?’ I was entrapped in my thoughts as we loaded the groceries into the back hatch of my car and we climbed into the car I looked out the window and heard him put the key in the ignition but I never heard him start the car, I looked over to see him turned in his seat and looking at me, “Look Kay, I didn’t mean to make it awkward or anything, I mean I don’t want to marry you.” He laughed. My face dropped and I looked down to my hands in my lap, “Oh God! Not like that, shit, this is coming out wrong, I just, I mean I’m not ready to get married right now, I mean I’ve only known you for four months, but when I think about my future; you’re all I see, and you’re all I want to see.” Right then and there I melted. I looked into those gorgeous eyes of his and pulled his face to mine, brushing our cheeks together, and whispered into his ear, “I love you so much, you’re so good to me.” I kissed his ear and down his jaw line and made it to his lips giving him a few soft kisses before I said, “It’s late, let’s go.”

He started the car and we made our way to the cabin, we stopped at the lodge and checked in and drove another twenty minutes up the mountain to our cabin. On the way up we saw about ten other cabins but all were spaced within a mile of each other. We made it to ours and grabbed everything out of the back seat and brought it inside, we didn’t bother turning on any lights, we walked in and dropped everything near the door, put the cold groceries into the refrigerator and found the bedroom. I didn’t feel like digging through my suitcase so I pulled off my shoes and sweatshirt and then unbuttoned my jeans, pulling them down to reveal my superman little kid, boy-cut underwear, The shirt of Joe’s that I had on fell just below where my underwear stopped, I turned around to see Joe pulling his shirt off his head and watched the muscles in his back flex as he worked it off his head, I bit my lip to hold back the thoughts I was having of him as he worked on the button of his jeans, revealing his red boxers, ‘I guess he didn’t want to deal with his suitcase either’ I thought to myself. I threw my hair into a pony tail and heard him laughing behind me I looked in the mirror at him across the room, “What?” He pointed down, “Nice underwear, Kay.” I quickly dropped my arms to my sides, looked down, and blushed with embarrassment. I felt him behind me as he slid his arms around me and kissed my temple, “Don’t be embarrassed, I think it’s hot.” He said into my ear. I turned in his arms and grabbed his arms around my waist and laid them by his sides and walked to the king size bed making sure my underwear were visible because I knew he was watching me, I got in and turned away from him to the other wall and heard him turn off the lamp and climb in next to me and lay an arm around my waist, I snuggled back into him and he buried his face in my hair, “Love you, Joe.” He found my hand and brought it to his mouth and kissed my palm, “Love you too, Kay.”

I woke up the next morning to the pitter patter of rain on the windows and checked the clock next to the bed, 10:37, lovely. I walked out the bedroom, though the kitchen, turned on a pot of coffee, and gasped when I walked into the open living room. The whole wall was covered in windows and the view was breathtaking; the trees, as well as the ground were covered in snow and there was a light rain/sleet coming down. I smiled at how beautiful it was and made my way over to our suitcases, I brought them into the closet in our room and pulled on a pair of sweatpants and some socks, I set up all of our stuff in the bathroom. I went back into the kitchen and unloaded the rest of the groceries onto the counter and took a mug from the cabinet and poured a cup of coffee, I went back into our room and started a fire in the small fireplace and sat in the recliner next to it, setting my mug down on the coffee table and watched Joe as he slept. He was so cute, every now and then he would twitch and move around trying to get comfortable again, I became inspired and wanted to write down what I was thinking, I looked around and noticed a notepad and pen setting on the nightstand next to the phone, I lightly walked over and picked them up and went back to my chair, I took a sip of coffee and tapped the pen to my chin, collecting my thoughts, at first it was coming out like a poem, then I realized I was writing lyrics. I continued writing until I had the whole thing done and reread what I had written,

I've been awake for a while now
You got me feelin like a child now
'Cause every time I see your bubbly face
I get the tingles in a silly place

It starts in my toes
And I crinkle my nose
Wherever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Wherever you go

The rain is falling on my window pane
But we are hiding in a safer place
Under covers staying safe and warm
You give me feelings that I adore

It starts in my toes
Make me crinkle my nose
Wherever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Wherever you go

What do I gonna say
When you make me feel this way
I just mmmm

And it starts in my toes
Make me crinkle my nose
Wherever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Wherever you go

I've been asleep for a while now
You tuck me in like a child now
'Cause every time you hold me in your arms
I'm comfortable enough to feel your warmth

And it starts in my soul
And I lose all control
When you kiss my nose
The feelin' shows
'cause you make me smile baby
Just take your time now
Holdin' me tight

Wherever wherever wherever you go
Wherever wherever wherever you go

Wherever you go
I always know
'Cause you make me smile
Even just for a while

(SONG IS BUBBLY BY COLBIE CAILLAT, I DO NOT OWN)

I smiled at the words that I had written about Joe because they were 100 percent true. He made me feel like I was the only person on the planet, and it felt amazing. I heard him moving around and I looked up to see him reach his arm out for me, he patted around a few times before he realized I wasn’t there and he bolted upright, and then saw me, and slouched back down. I walked to the foot of the bed and crawled to where he was climbing on top of him and laying my head on his chest, he wrapped his arms around my back and breathed into my ear, “I’m hungry.” I picked up my head and kissed his lips, “Wait here.” I lifted myself off of him and went into the kitchen and grabbed a box of Cocoa Puffs, the milk, and two bowls and spoons and made my way back to the bedroom.

We fixed and ate our cereal and talked about what we were going to do today, I didn’t feel like much so we decided to stay here for the day. I went to put the bowls in the sink and put the milk and cereal up, Joe got out of bed, “Ah, it’s freezing.” I chuckled to myself and called out to him, “I put your suitcase in the closet in there.” I was cleaning out the bowls when I heard him walk past me and over to the windows, “Wow.” He spoke. I walked over to him, “Beautiful isn’t it?” He kept his eyes on the window and brought his arm around me and pulled me over to him, “Yeah you are.” He said while kissing the side of my head. We made our way to the couch in front of the living room fireplace and started a fire, we ordered a movie off of Pay per View and snuggled under the blanket. After the movie was over I stood up to stretch and then I got an idea.

“Last one outside has to cook dinner.” I said as I ran back to the bedroom. And pulled on a sweatshirt and my coat, he wasn’t far behind me pulling out a hoodie and his coat and reaching for his shoes, I turned to pull on my boots but only found one, I ran around the room and dropped to my knees to see the other boot under the bed I grabbed it and hopped out the room trying to pull it on as Joe ran past me and out the door into the snow, I ran after him and jumped on his back causing him to fall to the ground, both of us uncontrollably laughing I picked up a handful of snow and shoved it in his face, “That’s for not letting me win!” I said and stood up and took off running, I could hear his feet crunching in the snow behind me so I picked up speed, and then I heard…nothing. I looked around, ‘Oh no, this isn’t good.’ I thought as a turned in circles looking for any sight of Joe, I couldn’t see him so I backed up against a tree, “Joe? I’m scared.” I called out and waited. No answer. Damn it.

Just then I heard the bushes rustle next to me and Joe leaped out and threw me over his shoulder, I let out a loud scream and grabbed onto his coat. He ran almost back to the cabin and Mr. Grace, himself tripped over something in the snow sending both of us crashing to the ground. I laid there sprawled out letting puffs of air out with my laughs as a laughing Joe crawled on top of me supporting himself with his hands on either side of my head, we both stopped laughing and looked into each other’s eyes; I closed my eyes and leaned up to kiss him but instead got a face full of snow. I heard Joe laugh as I wiped the snow off my face and stood up, I wasn’t very happy, “Fine, if your gunna be like that, I’m not kissing you until tomorrow!” I said as I stomped off toward the cabin. He came up behind me and grabbed my arm turning me around and nuzzled his face into my neck then brought his lips to my ear, his hot breath gave me goose bumps as he whispered, “Believe me, I can hold out, can you?” then he nibbled at my ear lobe making me want to give in right then and there, instead I laughed and said, “Is this a bet?” He nodded his head, “Fine, loser has to cook tomorrow, every meal.” He wrapped his arms around my waist, “Fair enough.” But I wasn’t done, I figured I’d tease him right back, I wrapped my arms around his neck and looked him directly in the eyes and ran my finger down his jaw line, down his neck, down his chest and toned stomach and pulled at the elastic on his sweatpants, never breaking eye contact I watched as he gulped and his breaths got heavier, I smiled at him seductively, and then let the elastic go as it snapped back against his boxers, “I have dinner to cook.” I said as I pranced back towards the cabin and took one look back at him before I opened the door to see him run a hand through his hair and shake his head and start jogging towards the door, I was SO going to win this.

I walked into the kitchen and boiled some noodles, made some alfredo sauce and, seasoned and cooked some chicken. I drained the noodles and put them into a bowl while dumping the chicken in along with it and stirring it up, I poured the sauce on top and mixed it all together. I set the bowl on the table and saw a sleeping Joe sprawled out on the couch, I hadn’t talked to him since he came in from outside, ‘Ugh I didn’t like this bet, but I wanted to win.’

I walked over to him and rubbed his arms, “Babe?” he grunted out a, “Hmm?” I stroked his hair, “Dinner’s done, you hungry.” His sleepy eyes slowly fluttered open and he sat up and I led him to the table, I watched as he shoveled the pasta onto his plate and grabbed us both a Gatorade out of the fridge. We held a small conversation over dinner and he brought our plats to the sink, we decided to just crawl back in bed and watch T.V. until we went to sleep and so I walked into the bedroom to wash my face and brush my teeth.

I was drying my face as Joe came in and began brushing his teeth watching me through the mirror. I grabbed my toothbrush and brushed my teeth, after I rinsed my mouth out I felt my toothbrush being ripped from my hands, and I turned to Joe confused, I opened my mouth to say something but he grabbed my hands and moved in front of me pushing me back towards the door. He brought both of my hands up and pinned them above my head, and said “I can’t take it! I lose! You win; can I please just kiss you now?” I bit my lip and leaned my head back, exposing my neck and let out a raspy, “Please.”

Then I felt his soft lips on my neck, and smiled as I thought to myself, ‘I win.’