I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter Thirteen

Monday had rolled around again and it was time for Devon and I to go to school. Ever since the whole Brian incident happened last week, Zack hasn’t said a word to either of us. Devon made attempts to talk with Zack, but all he got in response were grunts, nodding of the head, or nothing at all.

“Come on,” Devon yawned and walked into my bedroom.

“Hold on,” I said and finished my make-up. I put on my old dirty converse and grabbed my book bag from under my bed.

“Alright, I’m finished,” I said and I followed Devon down the stairs.

“We’re ready,” Devon told Zack who was waiting on the couch.

Of course Zack being the stubborn ass that he was didn’t answer, just nodded and grabbed his keys. He led us outside and I chose the seat in the back, not wanting to be near Zack. He pulled out of the driveway and sped down the road towards our school.
He pulled up in front of the school about 20 minutes later and Devon and I got out without another word.

We barely made it up the sidewalk when we heard Zack pull away from the curb. I watched him speed out of the school grounds and rolled my eyes. I looked at Devon and motioned my head for us to go inside before we’re late.

The bell rang from above us, signaling that lunch was over. Devon and I left the cafeteria and slowly made our way towards Health class. We entered the room and saw that half the class was already there. As we walked down the aisle toward our seats next to Noah, whispers erupted whenever we passed by. I rolled my eyes at the students and sat down.

“Hey guys,” Noah greeted.

“Hey,” Devon said. All I did was grunt.

Noah must be halfway smart because he took that as a reason to stay away from me. I glanced at him and he sent me a tiny smile. I rolled my eyes and faced forward again.

“Alright class you know what to do, so get busy,” the teacher yelled from her desk.

Goodness, does she ever get up from that chair? I bet that whole desk area smells like moth balls and ass. Not a lovely scent to imagine, but that’s what that old bat smelled like.

I got up from my desk and walked over to the teacher. I cleared my throat and she looked at me over her glasses.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Can I get a packet for the marriage project?” I asked, trying my best to be polite.

“Are you actually going to work on it?” she asked.

Holy fuck, she just couldn’t give me the packet without saying something?

“Yes,” I said through gritted teeth.

“Alright,” she said and handed me a packet that she got from her desk drawer.

I went to walk away but she called me back.

“Since you and Devon came in late, your projects are due October 17, which gives you nearly a month to work on it starting today,” she explained.

“Okay,”

I walked away back to Devon and explained to him what the teacher told me. He nodded and we got to work, not wanting to fight.

The bell rang and Devon and I bolted out of the room. We checked our schedules and saw that we had music class next for 6th period, which was the last period of the day.

“Devon!” someone yelled from behind us.

We turned around and saw Noah running towards us. He caught up to us and flashed me a smile. I glared slightly and his smile disappeared.

“What class do you guys have next?” he asked Devon.

“Music class with Mr. Joyner,” Devon told him.

“Oh, Bill?” Noah said.

“I guess,”

“Mr. Joyner hates to be called by his last name so he let’s us call him by his first name, Bill,” Noah explained.

Devon nodded and silence fell upon our group.

“Well come on, we three can’t be late for music class,” Noah said and led us through the halls to music class.

We stepped through the doorway right when the bell rang. Devon and I looked around the vast music room and we immediately felt right at home. There were big windows surrounding the back wall allowing sunlight to dance across the six rows that were in a stair like form.

On one side of the classroom was an instrument closet where other students were talking with one another while grabbing their assigned instrument. The other side of the class room was where the teacher’s office was and where a set of drums and two guitars were sitting.

“You guys will love this classroom. Bill is probably the coolest teacher here,” Noah explained and led us to the teacher’s office.

“What do you play?” Devon asked him.

“Me? Well,” Noah trailed off and sat behind the drum set. He tapped his drum sticks together and started beating on the drums and symbols.

After giving us a sample he looked at us again.

“I play the drums,” he stated proudly. “But I haven’t been able to find anyone who plays guitar so I could start the project coming up,” he explained.

We were about to say something but an older man’s voice cut us off.

“Who are you two?” a man who looked to be in his 50s asked us.

“We’re Jayden and Devon Baker,” I explained.

“Oh, the notorious Baker twins,” he chuckled.

“What?” Devon and I asked.

“The whole school heard about your little brawl last week. Plus, Noah here told me about it this morning,” he said.

I glared at Noah again and he scratched his head while looking away.

“Anyway, do either of you play an instrument?”

We nodded and motioned for us to go on.

“We both play guitar,” I said with pride.

“Really now? Well let’s hear what you got,” he said.

He shushed down the class and told them to take their seats while we set up the guitars that were on the floor. We plugged our guitars into the amps and sat down on top of them while tuning the guitars. I looked over at Devon once I finished and he nodded at me to show that he was done also.

I took a deep breath and started to pluck at the string, trying to get a feel for a guitar again. Once I got used to it Devon and I blocked everyone out and started to play our guitars in perfect cadence.

I heard Devon stop playing but I kept going, allowing my fingers to dance across the neck of the guitar in a furious manner. It wasn’t until one of the strings broke on my fingers that I stopped.

“Fuck,” I hissed and placed the guitar on the floor.

I ignored everyone’s clapping and inspected my injured finger.

“That was pretty good. No one has been able to impress me on their first day,” Bill said to us.

“Thanks,” I said.

“I think you two may actually be better than your father was,” he said to Devon and I.

My mouth fell open and he winked at us. I remembered what he said and I felt happiness swell inside of me for the first time in years. Someone actually thought I was good at something. Better yet, better than a professional guitarist.

The bell rang and I walked out the music room with Devon behind me. Noah walked with us outside and started talking, but I completely ignored him. I saw Matt standing outside of his black Expedition and I raised an eyebrow. Why wasn’t Zack here to pick us up?

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” Noah yelled and waved to us.

I halfway waved to him and we both walked to Matt. He smiled at us and all three of us got in his truck. He pulled away from the curb and drove back on to the main road.

“Where’s Zack?” Devon asked Matt.

“He’s at the studio with everyone else. He asked me to pick you guys up and take you there,” he explained and turned right onto another street.

Fifteen minutes later we pulled up to a big blue building. Matt shut off the truck and we got out and walked into the building. Guitars could faintly be heard from somewhere inside the building. The more we walked, the louder the music became. We finally came up to a room where we saw through the glass, everyone sitting on the couches while Zack was in the recording booth.

“Hey guys,” Matt said and walked in with both of us behind him.

“Hey,” everyone else greeted.

Devon and I sat down on the last remaining spaces on the couch and stayed quiet. We had no idea what to do, everyone was busy doing something and the only other girl here was Val, but she was talking to Matt. I sighed and slumped back in my chair.

I looked at Brian and he sent me a glare. I quickly looked away and kept my eyes on the ground. Obviously, he was still ticked off with me for ruining his car. I felt so awkward here, that I wanted nothing more than to walk home and go up to my room. I felt Devon nudge me and I looked up at him.

“What?”

“Are you okay?” he asked me with worry in his eyes.

I nodded and went back to staring at the ground. Not even a minute later I got off the couch and walked out the room. There was too much tension in that one room so I decided to walk around. I walked down many hallways, every once in a while looking into rooms. I continued walking until I got to the exit door. I walked out and saw a small plastic table with four plastic chairs around it. I took a seat at one and propped my feet up on the table.

I was so out of it that I didn’t hear the heavy back door open.

“Hey,” someone said.

I looked up and saw Matt standing there with his hands in his pockets. I chose not to answer him and went back to staring at nothing in particular.

“Can I sit down?” he asked.

I shrugged and he took a seat across from me. He sighed and from the corner of my eyes I saw him fold his hands and trying to see what I was looking at.

“Do you have a smoke?” I asked him, desperately wanting to smoke.

“Nope, sorry,” he apologize.

I grunted and crossed my arms across my chest. Matt started tapping his fingers on the table and every second that passed I got irritated even more.

“Will you stop? Holy shit,” I said and finally looked at Matt.

He gave me a grin and folded back his hands.

“So what happened between you and Zack?” he asked me.

“Nothing,” I said in a monotone.

“Come on Jayden, you don’t have to lie to me,” he said.

“Shut the fuck up or just go back inside,”

“Just tell me what happened and I’ll leave,” he negotiated.

I weighed my options and decided that it’ll be better to talk about what happened to someone rather than hold it in. I cleared my throat and turned towards Matt. I started explaining to him everything that happened and not once did he interrupt me during my story. When I was finished he stayed quiet and it looked as if he was thinking.

“Why don’t you just open up to him already?” Matt asked me, looking straight into my eyes.

I just shrugged and started to bite my lip.

“With everything that’s happened to me I feel as if I have to be the dominate one,” I explained.

“You don’t always have to be,” he said.

“I know. It’s just hard,” I said.

“I know it is but you have to try. Just give Zack a chance okay? He’s a great guy once you get to know him,” Matt said.

I shrugged and Matt got up from the table. He walked back inside and left me by myself to think about things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, seeing as how I'm bored to death I might as well post chapter fourteen as well. =]