I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter Fifteen

I heard Zack calling Devon and I from downstairs while we were in our rooms doing our homework. I put down my pencil and walked out of my room the same time Devon did. We walked downstairs and saw Zack, the guys and their girlfriends surrounding a big box.

“What?” I asked.

“This box came for you and Devon,” he said and handed me a knife so I could open the box.

I took the knife from him and cut open the tape that held together the box. I opened the flaps and a huge smile made its way onto mine and Devon’s faces. Inside the box were our trophies, ice skates and rollerblades. I grabbed my rollerblades and handed Devon his.

“Oh my god Devon, we have to go rollerblading right now,” I eagerly said.

“Damn straight we do,” he agreed and got ready to put them on.

“Wait, hold on. You guys aren’t going anywhere,” Zack said.

“Why the fuck not?” I asked and placed my hands on my hips.

“First of all, quit cursing at me,” he said making me roll my eyes. “Secondly, you guys have to finish your homework,” he explained.

“Oh come on! We’ve been good these past two weeks,” I whined.

“She’s right Zack. Hell, she even cleaned up my car for me,” Brian said.

I gave him a small smile, silently thanking him for defending me.

“You guys can rollerblade later. Besides what’s so great about rollerblading and ice skating anyway?” Zack asked.

I felt my jaw open and saw Devon’s mouth follow right after. Did Zack seriously just say that? Ice skating is one of the best sports out there. What did he know about sports? From the looks of it, I’d say none.

“For your information, we play hockey, we don’t ice skate,” I said.

“And, hockey is probably the most exciting and best damn sport on this planet,” Devon added.

I nodded along with him and I heard scoffs come from the guys while the girls just sat back. “Hockey is not the best sport,” Matt said.

“Oh yeah? Than what is?” I asked wanting to know what he thought.

“That’s easy,” he shrugged. “Basketball is,” he answered and Jimmy nodded, I’m guessing to agree with him.

“No it’s not Matt. Baseball is,” Zack butt in.

“All three of you guys are wrong. Weightlifting is the best,” Brian said, wanting to be involved.

“Oh god, here we go,” I heard one of the girls mumble.

The guys started bickering and Devon and I watched on in amusement. This sounded like a challenge that Devon and I were willing to take with open arms. Since the guys were too busy arguing, Devon and I started putting on our rollerblades. When we got them on we silently and carefully walked out the door. We shut it behind us and took off down the driveway. The faster I skated down the sidewalk, the faster Devon skated to beat me.

We looped around the cul-de-sac at the end of the neighborhood and skated back towards the house. The wind started to travel through my hair, making it flow around my face. Everything whizzed past me and I felt a sense of freedom. I can’t even remember when the last time I skated was. It felt good to just rollerblade with Devon. Whenever we skated it felt like our problems washed away. No getting into trouble with the police, no suspensions or detentions, and most of all no drugs to make me feel happy and carefree.

“Jayden! Devon!” Zack called from the front yard.

“What?!” we yelled back at him and continued skating past him.

“Get back here!” he hollered.

“Fine!” we yelled.

We started making our way back, pushing each other every so often. He pushed me hard and I saw the neighbor’s dog run out in front of me. I gasped and brought my legs up as far as I could. I managed to hop over the dog and landed back on the street. I didn’t see the big rock on the ground though and one of my wheels nudged it. I tried turning so I could stop, but I just managed to go down on my side. I skidded across the pavement, causing my shirt to ride up and have my side drag against the concrete.

When I stopped moving I stayed put on the ground, trying to catch my breath. My side was burning to the point where it felt like it was on fire. I heard Devon skate towards me and I saw his face above mine. I managed to painfully roll onto my back and started to breathe deeply.

“You okay?” Zack asked from above me. I gave him a look that said ‘does it look like I’m okay?’ and he got the point. “Stupid question,” he said more to himself.

“You got that part right,” I said and held my arms up. Devon got the idea and helped me up. One of his hands touched my right side where I was dragged on the pavement and I hissed in pain. I punched him in the stomach and he let go. I shrieked and tried grabbed onto some clothing before I could fall. I ended up grabbing his jeans, and since he insists that he wears pants that are too big for him, the pants slid down, showing his smiley face boxers.

The old woman across the street saw what happened and started whistling. To say the least, I think she has a thing for Devon. I find it hilarious, but Devon obviously doesn’t. Devon’s face became flushed after the old lady whistled and he quickly pulled up his pants.

“Thanks a lot Jayden,” Devon grumbled and skated up the driveway.

“I’m sorry,” I said and skated behind him.

“Whatever,” he mumbled and walked into the house with me behind him.

“Well, at least Mrs. Anderson from across the street enjoyed the view,” I snickered and sat next to him on the couch.

He shoved me on the side where I injured myself and I screamed. Val came running over and saw the damage done to my ribs. She insisted that she bandage it up, but I refused. I didn’t want to seem like a baby in front of everyone. I told Val that I would be fine and not to worry about me. She finally left my injury alone and I thanked her. I turned towards Zack, who was standing by the kitchen entryway, with his arms folded across his chest.

“So Zack, I just thought of a great idea,” I started off.

“Oh yeah? What is it?”

“I say that my self and Devon, go against all of you guys in whatever sport you think is the best. And in return you guys have to play against us in hockey,” I explained.

“Oh really now? And what happens if you lose against any of us?” Matt asked, clearly liking the idea of being challenged to a game of basketball.

I thought about it and looked at Devon for some help. He just shrugged, not having any idea of what to say. I finally thought of something and opened my mouth to tell him. “Winner get’s bragging rights for two weeks and gets to be catered to for three weeks,” I said.

“Hm, bragging rights and being catered to. Sound’s fucking awesome to me,” Brian said.

“Alright Jayden, you got yourself a deal,” Zack said for the guys and shook my hand.

“Get ready to be beaten,” I said to him with a smirk and started to take off my rollerblades.

“Yeah right,” Jimmy said in an arrogant tone. Leana who was sitting right next to him just shook her head at Jimmy.

I got up from the couch and started walking upstairs so I could shower and continue on with my homework.

It was Friday afternoon and the challenge has finally started. Devon and I were going against Matt and Jimmy first in a round of basketball. Next Brian and Devon would try and out bench-press each other tomorrow. After that Zack was going up against me in baseball later on tomorrow. On Sunday all of the guys were going to play ice hockey with Devon and I. Seeing as how Johnny never really played a sport or anything, he was going to keep track of the scores, and the girls voluntarily decided to be the cheerleaders.

“Come on guys!” Matt yelled from downstairs.

“Hold the fuck up!” I yelled back and finished lacing up an old pair of sneakers that I had.

I got up from my bed and walked downstairs where everyone was waiting for me. I gave the guys a cheesy smile and they just rolled their eyes at me. Devon and I followed behind them while the girls, who were dressed up in A7X styled cheerleading outfits, trailed behind the group. We all gathered into three separate cars and took off towards the courts.

Shortly after, we pulled up to the empty basketball courts. All of us piled out of the cars and walked into the court, anxious to get the game started. The girls stood by the sidelines, Matt and Jimmy huddled together on one side of the court and Devon and I just stood by our selves near the gate.

“Ready to beat these old farts?” I asked Devon and started stretching.

“That was the dumbest question, of course I’m ready to beat the guys,” he said with a roll of his eyes.

“So what’s our plan?” I asked. He gave me a shrug and I felt like we were going to lose already. I put my hands on my hips and gave him a serious look.

“Hurry up guys! We want to get back home so you can take care of us!” Matt yelled.

I gave him the middle finger and went back to staring down Devon.

“Alright I got it,” he said.

“Okay, what is it?” I asked.

“Why don’t we act like we don’t know what’s going on for the first half of the game and for the second half, they’re going to feel so bad for us they’re most likely not going to put in any effort and that’s when we come back and beat them,” he said, highly proud of himself for thinking of an idea all by himself.

“You know, that plan is so stupid that it might actually work,” I said more to myself than to Devon.

“You’re damn straight it will,” he said.

“Alright, we’ll go with it,” I decided.

He nodded and we walked towards the middle of the court where Matt and Jimmy were waiting. The girls started cheering and Val and Leana ran over to the guys and kissed them on their cheeks.

“Good luck babe,” Val said and walked away with Leana.

“What the fuck? What do we get?” I asked, wanting at least some type of reassurance thrown at me.

“How about a high five?” Johnny offered while walking in between the four of us, dressed in a referee uniform, and holding a basketball.

“That’s not very lucky you bite sized man,” I said to him.

“Whatever, let’s just start,” he grumbled. He blew the whistle that was hanging around his neck and threw the basketball in the air. Devon could’ve easily taken the ball from Jimmy but he decided against it and let the other team get it. We purposely, ran slowly behind them and when Matt got in the first basket we let out a dramatic sigh. Matt and Jimmy high fived each other and Devon and I kept on a straight face. If we kept this act up, than we had a good chance of winning.

Devon and I ran into the house cheering as everyone else slowly made their way inside the house. Zack, Brian and Johnny were still talking about the match while Matt and Jimmy were being cajoled by the girls. To say the least, Devon and I beat the guys by 25 points. They claimed that we cheated because there was no way in hell that we could’ve won.

Could you say sore losers?

“So tomorrow, I feel like eating some pasta. Can you guys make some for us?” I asked Matt, rubbing in the fact that I won even more in his face.

Matt and Jimmy sent me matching glares and I started to laugh some more. I got up from the couch and told everyone that I was going to take a shower and go take a nap. I walked upstairs and into my room, where my nice big bed was calling for me. I threw myself down on my bed and I felt my eyelids start to get heavy. I looked at the picture of mom on my side table and before I knew it, my eyelids had shut down on me and I was knocked out for the rest of the afternoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, just a filler.
Leave me comments and tell me what you think. =)