Until the End of Everything

Fancy Firsts

I can’t remember the last time I was in a restaurant. Well, I can. I went to a Pizza parlor a few months ago, but that’s not what I mean by restaurant. I mean the fancy ones where you have to make reservations and dress all nice. Yesterday was the last day of school, and when Gerard surprised me by telling me we were going to La Casa Blanca, I was stunned. Don’t get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise, and a first date is a really great way to start the summer, but I was still a little shocked. The closest thing I’ve had to a date was when Gerard took me to Fantastic Friday, a lame school dance that ended with Gerard almost dying. Just a few days ago we spent the night playing monopoly with his brother Mikey, and now we’re going to some posh Italian restaurant. I think I’m allowed to be a little surprised. I was invited somewhere else yesterday too. Nicole’s boyfriend Justin invited Gerard and I to a party he was having tonight. We said no, because Justin is a jock, and he’s nice and all, but his football friends aren’t.
I decided to wear a red corset top with a knee length black skirt. Corsets are fancy, right? I couldn’t help but wonder whether they allow you to wear sneakers, but I decided not to risk it and instead of my usual scruffy old Chuck Taylor’s I put on a pair of black Mary Jane heels. I’ve never worn heels before; my mom got me these a while back to encourage me to stop wearing sneakers everywhere. This is the first time they have ever left my closet.
“Marilyn, you look beautiful!” my mother said as I slowly stepped down the stairs, trying my hardest not to fall.
“Thanks.”
“Are those the shoes I bought you?”
“Yeah,” I replied, “I don’t think you’re allowed to wear Converse to La Casa Blanca.”
“When you go their, please don’t eat anything that could make you sick, you know how I feel about eating out.” My mom opposes restaurants, claiming that their food can and will make you ill.
“Yeah I know, I won’t eat anything with eyes.” I glanced up at the wall clock, it read 6:45. Gerard said he would pick me up now, which was strange because he lives two houses down from me, I could easily walk over. But he said he wanted this to be perfect, like a real date.
Just then the doorbell rang and the song. I then realized that I was nervous. I mean, this is my first date, you only get one of these and I want mine to be perfect. The song white Night Fantasy beat throught my head as I went to open the door.
"Crestfallen soul
Rest for this night
Love is here
Right here under my wings"
I took a deep breath and opened the door. Their stood the most handsome guy to ever grace my doorway.
“Hi.” I breathed. I actually began to feel short of breath, Gerard looked that amazing. He wore a black suit with a red shirt and black and white striped tie. The suit made him look older, more sexy. He looked like a fantasy, he looked fantastic. I felt a little nervous, and I’m usually relaxed around him.
“Hi- wow, Marilyn, you look taller,” his face began to turn red, “I mean, you look really, pretty” I giggled. I didn’t do it purposely, though. I thought people only giggled in movies, but I guess when you’re about to go on a date with Gerard Way, life is kind of like a movie.
“Thanks, you also look pretty,” why do I have to be such a loser, “No! You don’t look pretty, I mean…”
“That’s okay, I feel pretty.” I laughed. I said bye to my mom and we walked out to his dad’s jeep.
“You managed to drive all the way here?” I teased.
“Yeah, I am quite a skilled driver.” Gerard then opened the door for me. Really, he is so sweet, tonight is going to be per---
BUMP
I fell into the car. Why am I such a dork?
“Marilyn, are you okay?” Gerard said as he helped me up.
“Yeah, it’s just these shoes, I’m not used to wearing heels.”
“Oh,” he said as he helped me into the car.
We had reservations for seven, but we got their a few minutes late due to the fact that Gerard drove rather slowly. When we got inside, we were seated we were seated and given menus. The restaurant was very big and very beautiful. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and each table was set beautifully with a vase of fresh red roses seated on each. The people looked nice as well, no one in Converse and most people in dresses and suits.
“This is a cool way to spend the first day of summer vacation.” said Gerard.
“Yeah, another first,” I said, “and this is the first summer I’m going to spend with you.” Scenes from The Notebook flashed through my head as I said this. This’ll be the first summer Nicole and I will both have boyfriends, so instead of me being the awkward third wheel when we hang out, I’ll have someone myself too.
“Usually my summers are boring,” he began, “I spend them trying to avoid getting a tan.”
“Me too!” I exclaimed. And half the people in the restaurant looked over at me. I quietly continued to speak, “I actually bought SPF 80 sunscreen for the summer.”
“And the thing is, I don’t burn,” Gerard told me, “I’m half Italian, so I tan really well.”
“Me too, I rarely burn, just tan,” I was so happy, now I had someone to hide from the sun with, “and since you’re half Italian and all, can you read this menu?” I asked him.
“No,” he admitted, “I’m ordering the kids meal, with French fries.” I laughed.
“I think I’ll order the same.”
We spend the next hour enjoying our completely overpriced kids meal, which consisted of pizza and smiley face French fries. After Gerard paid the bill, and hesitantly let me leave a tip we walked back to the car.
“I don’t want to go home.” I told him as we walked back to the car. Well actually, he walked, because it was pretty difficult for me to with heels. I just held onto him.
“Neither do I,” he said, “and it’s only nine O’ clock, and I’ve got a car. We can go wherever you want.”
Suddenly an idea popped into my head.
"Crestfallen soul
Rest for this night
Love is here
Right here under my wings"