Take It Like A Man

Chapter Two

More than an hour later and I was still at the Jonas Brothers concert backstage with none other than the Jonas Brothers. Initially I was surprised by the outcome of my night. I had figured that the boys would drop by to say hello an autograph and usher us on out. But no, Joe was actually begging me to stay while Kevin was contemplating on adopting my three-year-old baby Aoife.

“I’ll take her with me on tour and you can have her back later,” Kevin suggested as he swung Aoife around in circles. He had cleared a huge space in the middle of the floor just to swing my daughter around, which she enjoyed more than ever. I hoped he wouldn’t accidentally drop her; my dad had done that once to me when I was Aoife’s age. “Or you can have her when I’m on tour and then you give her to me when I’m home.”

“Kevin, first I would never let you have my daughter. And second, you live in L.A.”

A pout formed on his lips and Nick grunted at his brothers “stupidity.” I chuckled as Nick ran over to Aoife and grasped one of her hands while Kevin grabbed the other and they swung her around the room more. Hopefully, she would fall asleep instantly when we went home.

“Can… I get your number?” Questioned Joe carefully; biting his tongue he smiled at me warily. Giving him my full attention I gazed at him for a moment before nodding my head. He stuck his hand into his pocket and pulled out a very expensive cellular device. Taking it from him I plugged in my number and handed it back to him. “I’m going to name you Bethany.”

“Actually, that already is my name. My mother dubbed me Bethany the day I was born,” I informed him in confusion.

He smiled adorably at my misunderstanding, “I meant in my phone…”

“Oh,” that didn’t make me feel stupid at all. “I barley use mine. It’s only for emergencies incase I’m out and Aoife needs me.”

“You leave her alone?” Joe’s eyes basically flew out in fear at my sudden comment, although, he had been the one to misinterpret me this time.

“Never! I have a babysitter.” I grabbed his arm as he laughed. “What kind of mother do you think I am?!”

The question was rhetorical, but Joe seemed to take it seriously, “You seem like the most amazing mother any three year old girl could ever have.”

“You’re just saying that…” I have always been self-conscious about my motherly duties. After all, I was a single eighteen-year-old mother raising a three-year-old baby girl with no parental guidance whatsoever.

“No really. I mean for one you’re a model, if I was a little girl and my mom was a model I would think she was so cool. And hello, you’re at a Jonas Brothers concert.”

“Wow. Thank you so much Joseph.”

“Joseph?” He was about to make an argument about my word choice, but his cell phone started to vibrate in his pocket. Taking it out he answered it casually. “Hello Mom-“ pause, “- oh we are in the VIP lounge. You should come down and meet the winners,” and another pause, “Love you too. Adios mi madre.”

“Mommy?” I quizzed with a crocked smile as Joe nodded his head to confirm my question. Even if the answer was quite obvious since Joe had said “Hello Mom” when he had answered the phone. “You guys travel on tour with your parents right?” I had completely forgotten about that. I think they even traveled with a younger Jonas sibling.

Joe stretched his arms back and attempted to hide his very large yawn, “Yes ma’am.”

The doorknob jiggled as it opened to expose a very beautiful female version of the Jonas Brothers. She had their curly brown hair and deep chocolate colored eyes. Then there was that amazing smile that reminded me of Joe’s. She entered the room gliding over to me and extending her manicured hand, I shook it delicately noticing how smooth her skin was.

“Hello! I thought Joe was insane when he was urging me down here to meet one of his guests, but now I see why,” she winked at me and I could visibly see Joe turning into a cherry. “You are precious!”

“Thank you Mrs. Jonas. It’s wonderful to meet you,” I laughed flattered. I probably should go to more Jonas Brothers concerts I get complimented quite frequently…

“Mom…” Joe dragged out both m’s making him sound more of a dramatic teenager than ever. His eyes held his embarrassment as they fluttered irritably.

Kevin ran over to his mother with my daughter in his arms and held her up, “This is Aoife. She’s my new daughter.”

“I said you couldn’t have her Kevin,” my voice was stern but held humor behind it. Mrs. Jonas welcomed the tiny girl into her open arms in adoration. I was jealous for a moment at the fact that she was holding my child, not because it was Mrs. Jonas, but for the sole fact that Aoife will never have that “grandmotherly” love from my mother. My mom had never accepted the fact that I had gotten knocked up at the age of fourteen. Like it was my choice…

“How old is she?” Mrs. Jonas questioned as she played with Aoife’s curly brown locks. Aoife made a face at Mrs. Jonas; she never had enjoyed people playing with her hair.

“She’s three and a half, right Pumpkin?” Aoife nodded her head and held up two fingers, instead of three, to confirm her age. The five of us laughed.

Casually, Kevin sat down next to me on the couch and I smiled over at him. He pulled out his cell phone and handed it over to me, which I assumed was to give my number so I plugged it in. Never would I have imagined that they would be asking for my phone number. “I think I’m going to kidnap Aoife. It that’s okay with you?”

“It’s not okay with me,” I chuckled as I handed him his phone. “You could always just get me some more free Jonas Brothers tickets and I’ll come to your shows. Then you could see her.”

“So I’m being used for free tickets now?” Joked Kevin with a grin, I lightly slapped his arm as to say ‘that’s not what I meant.’ Glancing back over at the others I took in that Aoife was now jumping up and down on Joe’s leg as he pretended that he was a pony and she was galloping through the “desert.” The scene made me wonder if it would be a good idea to start dating again… maybe Aoife needed a fatherly impact in her life.

Mrs. Jonas whispered something into Nick’s ear before she waved goodbye to me and exited the room. Nick watched me for a moment before turning his gaze to Aoife who was squealing in delight as Joe pumped his leg faster. These boys were amazing and Aoife absolutely adored them. Too bad they were going on tour and didn’t live in L.A.

Aoife let out a loud yawn after a few moments and cuddled her head in the cradle of Joe’s arm. My expression softened as I watched the two. Joe was smiling down at her and Aoife looked so comfortable just lying in his arms. ‘Wow’ was the only word that crossed my mind. It was like a dream.

“I think we should get going. It’s kind of late,” I suggested as Aoife fell asleep instantly. Kevin hid a yawn as I stole a glance at him from the corner of my eye. “I have to get up extremely early tomorrow morning and I’m positive you guys are most likely playing another show.”

“Can’t we steal you both?” Joe grumbled in irritation at the fact that Aoife and myself needed to leave. “I’ll let you have my bed.”

“Sure Joseph,” I agreed in sarcasm. “Because I can just pack my bags and go with you guys on tour.” I shook my head as Joe nodded his head enthusiastically. Standing up from the couch I stretched out my back. Walking over to Joe I bent down and scoped up my exhausted daughter into my arms.

“At least let me walk you to your car.”

And maybe this is when it all clicked, when it all came together, when it all just felt so right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own the Jonas Brothers or their mother.

Comments? Questions?