The Wind Apprentice

Ray

“His name is Ray?” Alexander Wright couldn’t believe Diz would name his familiar ‘Ray‘.

“Yeah, why?”

“Nothing. Forget I said anything.”

Ray however didn’t seem to particularly care what Diz called him. The Oother was perched on Diz’s shoulder looking around seemingly interested in everything. The teenager simply smiled and held up a piece of fruit to Ray, who took it and promptly started nibbling on it.

Diz had received a book on magical creatures and was told to read up on the Oother. So far he had gleaned that Oothers, though mostly keep to themselves, liked to play pranks on people they decide that they don’t like, or just want to annoy.

As if reading Diz’s thoughts Ray threw the piece of fruit he had been nibbling on at Master Wright, who had been reading the City’s Paper. Wright scowled at the monkey like creature while Diz didn’t even try to hide his laughter.

“Go to your dorm before I give you a detention for not controlling your familiar.” It was Diz’s turn to scowl.

“Yes, Master Wright.” His tone could have been called mocking, but before Wright could say anything Diz was hurrying off to the Apprentice Dorm rooms.

-

“114, 115, 116, 117!” Diz pulled to a stop before his assigned dorm and walked in. Each apprentice got their own rooms. Each room was equipped with a desk, a chair, a bed, a dresser, and a bathroom. The Guild was kind enough to supply robes, books, and other material needed for school if you couldn’t afford them yourself.

Diz sighed as Ray jumped off his shoulder and glided to Diz’s new bed. So far Diz only new bits and pieces about the Guild and magic in general.

The robes colors were significant because it showed your rank in the Guild and your element. White for air, red for fire, blue for water, and green for earth.

In the guild you start out as an apprentice (light green), then a fully trained wizard or witch (turquoise), then a Master (dark blue), then if your lucky you can get on the Lord and Lady Council (gold).

Diz took out the sheet of names Master Wright had given him. The names were of every Lord and Lady on the council. The Master had left strict orders to memorize each Lord and Lady with their respective element.

Lady Joan Carrow(Air)
Lady Olivia Fern (Air)
Lord Jonas Bones (Air
Lord William Parker (Fire)
Lady Doris Jones (Fire)
Lord James Black (Fire)
Lady Monique Rosier (Water)
Lady Catherine Desiree (Water)
Lord Jason Church (Water)
Lord Richard Grant (Earth)
Lady Victoria Smith (Earth)
Lord Lucas Wahl (Earth)

Diz had a feeling that he’d never remember all their names. To make it easier on himself he just did last names and element.

-

“He has your hair.”

“Does he?”

“But he has his fathers eyes.”

“How did you even find out about this?”

“It wasn’t exactly hard, I was your apprentice at the time you two were seeing each other. I’d have had to have been blind not to see it. I figured when you disappeared on ‘vacation’ for nine months that you were pregnant and trying to hide it.”

“No one can know about this Alex. No one!”

“Not even his father?”

“Especially not him.”

“Oh well, he’s smart. I’m sure your Ex will figure it out on his own.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

-

Diz and Ray decided to explore a bit. He had heard the dorm had a library, a common room, and a couple of training rooms. Time to find them.

The common room was easy to find but the white haired boy wished he hadn’t gone in. A group of pompous kids his age were gossiping and making fun of people. Diz could immediately see they were from Jeneiso, thus they were rich kids. Great.

There was another kid, a girl in red robes keeping to herself by the fire. There was a lizard made out of fire clinging to her shirt, a Salamander.

Before Diz could back out one of the rich kids spotted him.

“Hey look, another newbie.”

“He has a monkey for a familiar. That’s hilarious. At least that girl’s Salamander is better.”

“What’s with his hair. Is he albino or something.” By now Diz was getting really annoyed. Telling himself to just walk away, it would do no good to start a fight. Who knows what devils deal out as punishment.

“Aw, the babies running away.” Gritting his teeth he just kept walking, leaving their jeering behind. Diz eventually stumbles into a training room. Diz could see mock weapons with round edges (safety first), protective gear, high above the ground were acrobatic equipment, a dueling ring, and other things. Diz immediately decided he liked this room.

The door that he had just come through opened to reveal the girl with the Salamander.

“Hi. Look I’m sorry for my sister. She was with those waists of space.”

“You shouldn’t have to apologize for her.”

“No I shouldn’t. I’m Asha by the way, and this Sparky.” She gestures to herself and the Salamander sitting on her shoulder.”

“Doesn’t he burn?”

“Only if he wants to. Besides fire elementals can’t feel it. So are you going to introduce me to your familiar.

“Oh right, he’s Ray. Call me Diz.” Ray took that opportunity to jump off Diz’s shoulder and flap up to one end of the acrobatic course.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Diz mutters to himself and gestures for Ray to come down.

“I think he wants you to do the course.” Diz looks from Asha to the course.

“I’ve never done anything like that before. Besides I’m known for being clumsy, I could drop.”

“What do you think the nets for. It’s there to make sure you don’t end up killing yourself.” Diz bit his lip. He would never admit it but he was afraid of heights. Come to think of it, Diz was everything a wind elemental isn’t. Shaking those thoughts out of his head he climbs the ladder up to the top of the course. Asha smiles at him encouragingly as she moves to where the weapons are.

Taking a deep breath the fourteen year old looks at the first rope. Not too far away. In his head Diz picks up a mantra of ‘I can do it’. Jumping, Diz grabs hold of the rope and swings. The next portion is a horizontal bar. Leaping, Diz almost grabs it but ends up tumbling to the net.

The fourteen year old bitterly looks up at his familiar who takes that instant to glide down to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry. Yet again, I would have had this out yesturday but my souless editor went to bed. Anyways this chapter is dedicated to: paranoia_suxx, for commenting and subscribing! Hooray! I'm throwing confetti for you. If I had a cookie I'd give you one. Sadly I don't Sorry. But thanks anyway.

KTHM