‹ Prequel: Watching the Stars

This is Home

Prologue

The world was huge.

Or bigger than Caspian had expected.

He had finally entered Narnia, the world that had been clouded in his dreams until now. Accompanied by Trufflehunter and Nikabrik (a badger and a dwarf), he set off to find the people who he’d thought hadn’t existed—the Kings and Queens of Old Narnia.

Apparently another dwarf named Trumpkin had set off to find the Kings and Queens. They were all supposed to meet at the Dancing Lawn for a council of War. Apparently, now that Caspian had escaped to the land of Narnia, he was supposed to lead everyone into peace.

“Are you sure we are to meet the Kings and Queens? They are not... dead?” Caspian asked Trufflehunter.

“Of course they’re not dead. They are always able to come back to Narnia, or so I was told,” Trufflehunter replied. And Caspian didn’t admit it, but it was a little awkward talking to a badger.

Caspian only continued to walk. The forest was a little thick, and it was difficult to see in front of him. Night was settling, but Trufflehunter and Nikabrik promised that they’d be there in a few moments.

When they stepped foot on the lawn, Caspian’s eyes drank in the many creatures that he had thought to be extinct. And they did discuss the thing that Caspian was afraid of most: war and battle. Sure, he’d had years of training for riding horses, using a sword—but he didn’t expect that he’d actually have to fight in his lifetime.

In the end, they all accepted Caspian as their king. Even Caspian wasn’t sure that he wanted to be king yet.

* * *

“I am not ready,” Caspian whispered, as the others slept. He lay on his back, staring up at the stars. “I am not ready to be king, and you were not ready to be married. I suppose I should accept it and be king if you are married.”

“Your highness?” a voice spoke up, and Caspian looked over to see Reepicheep, the Talking Mouse. “Who are you speaking to, I dare ask?”

“I speak to no one,” Caspian sighed. “I am speaking to the stars.”

“Interested in Astronomy?” the mouse asked.

“I am in love,” Caspian breathed again, but Reepicheep didn’t question farther. He only moved to sleep among his army of mice, leaving Caspian to stare up again.

I hope you are all right, Caspian thought instead. He gazed up one last time at the stars that seemed to have lost their twinkle, and then rolled over to sleep.

It was only worse in his sleep, for he dreamt of her in vivid colours. He dreamt of her smile, her laugh, and her kisses. She would be at home with Felix now, and he suddenly popped into the dream, stealing her away from the prince.

It hurt. It hurt so bad, that the next day Caspian dreaded walking more to meet the Kings and Queens. Surely they could have appeared closer, from their other world? They could have come to where Caspian had slept and made sure that they would take over the war, and not him. He was not in the mood to fight.

While in the woods, he spotted an enemy. Slowly, creeping closer, he drew his sword and fought until he had heard calls from a female voice.

Not her.

But it was some other girl. Some other girl who called the name “Peter,” and the boy who Caspian was fighting turned to see who it was. And it was then when Caspian realized that this was not an enemy, it was the help he had called for...
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh, short.
D: Comments?