Status: Slowing updating

Wreckage From the Past Haunts Me; Shakes Me to the Bone

Chapter 60: Zacky

[Zacky’s P.O.V]

“Tegan!” I yelled as I closed my phone and looked for my keys.

“Yeah babe?” She called out from the living room.

“There you are. Do you know where my keys are?” I asked taking in her shivering form. If it hadn’t been for the severity of the storm, I wouldn’t have a problem leaving her alone for just a few minutes, knowing she’d be more than ok, but the news had said earlier that this storm was going to be horrible.

“Yeah there next to the door. Why?” She asked curiosity present in her voice.

“My mom needs me to come out and check the generator. Matt and Zina are both too far away and I have no idea where my dad went.” I said with a confused look on my face.

“Oh...ok.” She said, as she looked back at the TV. I walked over to the couch and sat down, wrapping my arms around her. Her arms instantly went around me, clinging to me. I knew she didn’t want me to leave, but she also knew that I needed to go check up on my family.

“Baby don’t be down. I’m not leaving until Trista gets here.”

“You called her?”

“Did you think I was going to leave you here alone?” She looked down embarrassed and nodded her head, “I wasn’t going to. I’ll tell you what, I’ll even stop and get Taco Bell on the way home ok?”

“You better!” She said laughing. I nodded and leaned down kissing her softly.

“I’m so sorry it took so long!” Trista yelled as she walked in. Aidyn was dripping wet and from the look on his face he wasn’t too happy. He truly looked like Jimmy right then. A full pout on his lips and his arms crossed tightly across his chest, which was quiet uncommon for a child his age.

“About time.” I said joking around my with sister- in-law. I laughed quietly, but a look went across her face that I instantly knew as shame. She looked at me for a second, a small trace of purple laced with the hazel iris of her eye. My focus on her was lost once a roll of thunder went through the air, and I instantly tightened my grip on Tegan, feeling her jump.

“I got stuck talking to Jimmy about something important.” She said as she looked down. My heart sunk. I never liked to see a sad look on Trista’s face. It was like seeing my sister’s face after a horrible break up, but I knew nothing that bad took place between the two of them...or at least I hope not. She looked over at Aidyn, another guilty look crossing her face.

“I’m so sorry baby.” She said as she looked over at Aidyn. You could tell he had been around us, guys, way too long when he shook his head and soaked his mom even more so than she already was.

“It’s fine sis.” I smiled and took him from her and took the diaper bag as well. Setting him on the couch, I smiled down at him as he giggled. I felt eyes watching me as I changed his clothes quickly, not wanting to expose him to the semi-cold air that was in the living room. Even though I had turned on the heater in the house it was still colder than it should be. I heard a quiet exchange behind me but I paid no mind to it as I picked up Aidyn and walked over to the heater. I set it higher, but it didn’t turn on. I’d have to check that out when I got back. For now, it wasn’t that cold and I knew Tegan and Trista would be fine. I walked back out seeing Trista with a towel on her head and Tegan smiling.

“Go get changed before you get a wet ass print on my couch.” I said as I laughed. She nodded but stayed where she was for a moment as she watched Tegan picked up the towel. She walked over to us and dropped the towel on Aidyn’s head. He giggled as she rubbed both sides against his wet hair.

“Oh no! The Drying monster got you!” I said as Aidyn giggled harder and harder. I looked over to see that Trista was smiling, but her shivering was becoming too much. She smiled and grabbed her bag before running back to our front bathroom.

“I can’t wait to start a family.” Tegan said quietly, I honestly don’t think I was meant to hear it but I smiled and kissed her.

“We’ll have to practice then.” I said seductively in her ear, making sure that Aidyn couldn’t hear it. He might be young, but I really didn’t want my nephew hearing such things from me. I heard her giggle, before hearing Trista say something about being done changing. Tegan turned from me and sat on the couch, pulling out a taco and started eating it as she happily swayed back and forth.

“Ok I need to head out.” I said as I stood up. Tegan stopped eating her taco to look over at me with worried eyes. I smiled and opened my arms, letting her walk into them.

“Hurry back ok?” She whispered as she kissed my chest.

“I will baby.” I told her. She nodded and walked me to the door. I gave her a quick kiss as I grabbed my keys. I hurried to my car, trying to avoid getting wet, but it wasn’t working out the best. The sky was darker now, and I knew I only had about an hour or so before it took a turn for the worst. The wind was blowing hard enough to knock me over, but I kept my feet planted firmly to the ground. I quickly unlocked my car, trying to keep the rain that had slid down my face, out of my eyes. I thanked god as I heard the sound of the car unlocking. As soon as I was inside I shook my head in an attempt to get most of the water off my head. I started the car and looked up at my house, Tegan blew me a kiss. I smiled and blew a kiss back and mouthed ‘I love you.’ She smiled before Trista grabbed her hand pulling her away from the window. I drove down the street, trying to see through the thickness of the rain. It had picked up a lot since I had gotten into the car. Maybe I didn’t have as long as I thought I did. Thankfully the drive out to my parent’s house was short only passing one or two cars on the way. I quickly ran up to the door and knocked.

“Oh sweetie! You’re drenched.” My mom said, as she opened the door.

“That’s what happens when you stand outside in the rain.” I said laughing as I rubbed my hands against my arms. She just laughed and opened the door farther so I could walk in. I smiled as she handed me a towel. I took it and quickly dried as much as possible.

“Would you like something to drink?” She asked as she took in my shivering form. I thought about it for a second, wanting some of my mom’s famous Hot Cider, but I knew I had to get back home. I doubt Trista was going to be able to leave tonight which mixed in a whole new things to worry about.

“No thanks, I can’t stay long, maybe next time. Tegan’s at home and you know how she is with storms.” I explained as I hung the towel on the back of a chair. I walked into the living room to see my dad lying on the couch with some hot tea in his hands.

“So how did you pull your back old man?” I asked as I stood there with my arms across my chest and smirk on my face. My father looked up at me, innocence covering his face, but I knew him better than that.

“I was hanging the TV on the wall.” He said as he pointed to the new TV that was hanging in place of the one I had bought them for their anniversary. My mom complained saying she was never going to get him away from it, which later turned out to be that she was never going to get him in bed...yes in the perverse way you’re thinking. Needless to say we had gotten my mother drunk on accident...Ewe.

“What happened to the last one?” I asked as I turned around to see that the TV was identical to the one I bought.

“Someone threw a rock in and it hit the TV” He said as she shrugged, “It was just some little punk. Not even 13 years old.”

“Wow...Well I’m gonna go check everything down there.” I said as I turned towards the basement. I pulled the cord for the light, but nothing happened. I glared at the object before sighing and walked farther into the darkness.

“Watch out for the board!” I heard my mom yell right as I smacked my head. I rubbed the spot as I felt pain surge through the spot where the wood met my head.

“Too late!” My dad yelled as he heard my cussing. I laughed slightly as I rubbed my forehead as I sighed and walked over to the huge generator. I turned it on to hear a low hum, but not the right hum. I looked over to see the gas level was low. I smiled and laughed quietly knowing they had a tendency to never fill it back up after they were done using it, which was surprisingly often. The loud hum came to my ears. I walked back upstairs after shutting it back off.

“Ok guys it’ll work, but I gotta head out now. Me and Tegan will stop by soon ok?” I stated as I hugged my mom.

“Oh I wanna talk to you for a second.” I heard as I grabbed the door knob. I let my head drop before turning around to face my mother. She smiled and I already knew the question.

“When am I getting grandchildren?” She asked like the true Italian mama her mom had taught her to be. She had an expectant look on her face as she set her hands on her hips. I smirked a turned around to face her.

“Well mama if you let me get home, I’ll start practicing right away!” I said as watched the look across her face. I ducked down fast as she reached over to slap the back of my head. I heard my dad’s hound of a laughter through mine as she continued to hit me.

“Alright Alright Alright. I gotta go now. I’ll come back soon and bring my knocked up fiancé” I said as I hugged her. She laughed and smacked me again.

“Ok. Get home before the storm gets too bad.” She said as she hugged me back, “Be careful.”

“I will.” I said as I ran out to my car. I sighed as my keys slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground. I picked them up quickly and unlocked my car. Once the car was started I immediately turned on the heater. The warm air filled the car making my wet bones ache slightly, but soon the feeling was gone. A feeling of dread soon replaced what was once filled by an aching. The feeling was rising as I drove farther down the highway. A light quickly turned to red making me hit my brakes. I pumped the brakes once I was stopped to see they felt loose, but should be ok until I get home. My phone rang breaking me out of my thoughts.

You must be loved. She’s barely touched her Taco Bell. was what the text read. I smiled at Trista’s words.

“Tell her I’ll be ok. I’m almost home.” was my reply as I shut my phone and set it back in the cup holder. I chuckled slightly and turned my radio up a bit louder as Patience by Guns ‘N Roses came on. My smile grew as I thought about what this song meant to me and Tegan. It’s the first song we made love to. I remember that my hand had slipped and I hit the stereo remote. Every year since that day we manage to hear this song on that same day. Today, nearly 7 years ago. My phone rang again interrupting my thoughts. I looked at the number odd before opening the text.

Wow Zachary, you're such a great boyfriend. Leaving your girlfriend home with only her sister to protect her on a stormy day. I knew it was from Todd. I set my phone back down and pressed down on the gas ignoring the fact that I knew the breaks were loose. I knew he was serious this time. I was less than a mile away from home. I could get there in no time. I saw a light turn to red, but I couldn’t stop. A car ran right out in front of me, making me jerk my wheel to the right. I tried to hit the brake, but the pump just hit the floor without me stopping or even slowing down.

Before I could even turn the wheel again I heard the unmistakable sound of metal crunching. I could feel my face hit the steering wheel hard. My vision blacken before lightening again, but just for a moment. White spots littered the black mass that now held my vision. My vision came fading back in and stayed cloudy this time instead of turning black. My whole body was aching. I leaned on my door, grabbing my head. Blood was rushing down adding to my hazy vision. My right arm was numb; my ribs were burning every time I took a breath. Through my clouded vision I reached for the door handle. Once my hand was wrapped around it I pushed it open. A cry was torn from my lips as I hit the asphalt hard making a loud crack echo in the silence of the street. I honestly couldn’t tell you if the crack was my ribs breaking even more or the sounds of my head bouncing off the asphalt. I gasped as I tried to breathe, my whole body screaming at me in pain. I heard footsteps running up to me before someone kneeled next to my head.

“Oh my god man are you alright?” The person asked. I shook my head, trying to point to my car. If I couldn’t get to my house then maybe Matt or Brian could. The guy nodded and ran to my car.

“Ok I got your phone; do you want me to call 911?” He asked. I don’t know if it was the pain I was in or the fact that I had had a real emergency at the moment, but this man was pissing me off. This guy was the most stupid person I had EVER met!

“No…Matt.” I said just above a whisper. I had just blurted out a name. He nodded and started pressing buttons on the phone. My vision started to fade again, but this time my hearing was going too. I felt the guy shake me over and over. I knew I wasn’t going to last too much longer.

“The girls.” I said with everything in me. He nodded and said something, but I honestly couldn’t tell you what. He whispered what sounded like “Johnny’s coming.” But I couldn’t hear it all that well. For all I know he could have ordered a pizza. I closed my eyes again and let my head fall to the side. Hands gripped my face and turned my head back so I was facing up. I felt something slide under my neck, propping it up and making sure I couldn’t turn it. He might have been an idiot, but he must have known somehow what to do. I ignored the man next to me and let my worried mind go into overdrive. The girls, where we they? Did Matt get them in time? My hearing started to fade in once again and I heard a car and what sounded like sirens. I opened my eyes to see Johnny’s face, a worried face. He was pushed back and I saw a figure I didn’t know. I closed my eyes again as they lifted me onto the bed. Pain surged through my body at the sudden movement. I lifted up and whimpered. A hand went through my hair, Johnny must be close again.

“Zacky? Zacky can you hear me?” I opened my eyes and closed them. I opened my mouth, but I just couldn’t form any words, “Zacky…they got the girls, but they left behind a lot of evidence. We’re going to get them back do you understand me. I’m going to the hospital with you ok? I’ll be right behind you.”

“Where’s….the…guy.” I managed to mouth to him.

“I don’t know. You were alone when I got here.” I tried to respond…but everything faded again and the last thought I had, was that I had failed.