Status: Active

All Was Golden in the Sky

Chapter One

My fingers held tightly to the sleeves of my hoodie and my ears twitched. I tried coughing and clearing my throat, to give him a clue, but he didn’t hear me. He was in his own little world staring out the window and the clouds below us, his hands tapping against anything in his corner. It was driving me nuts.

We were flying to Maryland to visit my family—Brendon’s idea, not mine. Don’t get me wrong, I would have loved it if he came out with me every time I visited. He was just always too scared to go. I blame it on my stories of my crazy Maryland family, and admit they probably make them sound scarier than the really are. But the day he suggested we fly out for a week surprised us both—he really didn’t seem to know what her was saying. But here we were, on a flight to BWI airport in Baltimore.

I sighed and tried closing my eyes, willing sleep to drift over me. Instead it drifted right past me, knocking out the guy to my left and making him drool and over the unopened peanuts in his lap. I huffed and snapped my eyes open, glaring over at Brendon’s fingers and following them as they continued to tap Morse code in my brain.

Finally I couldn’t take it anymore. I was sleepy and on my second flight of the day and about to have to adjust to three hours ahead of my normal schedule. I reached over and took both of his magical hands in mine, staring intently into his beautiful brown eyes. “Brendon, you know I love you, but I swear to God if you continue these acts I will snap your fingers off and make drumsticks for Spencer with them,” I warned.

He looked surprised at first, probably because I’d been ignoring him for the past hour and a half since we’d left Georgia, but soon the gaping fish mouth curved in an unsure smirk. “You like my fingers too much to cause them any harm,” he said quietly.

I shook my head and leaned back in my seat. “Not right now I don’t,” I muttered, my voice weighed with fatigue. “Right now they’re getting on my last nerve.” I heard him giggle and I rolled my eyes, glancing over at the guy on my other side. Oh, how I wished some of his sleep dust would blow over into my eyes…

Brendon must have noticed my sleepiness, because the next thing I knew the armrest between us was being pushed up and the arms I adored were pulling me closer. “Hey,” he cooed, using one hand to stroke my hair. “Look on the bright side. Another half hour and we’ll be there. And then you can sleep in a nice, comfy bed.”

I snorted. “If you think we’ll have any chance to actually sleep when we get there, you are seriously deluded. My family won’t be able to keep their hands off of us.”

He smirked and his fingers, those damn fingers, starting running through my hair, massaging my scalp. I shuddered and cuddled further into his side, closing my eyes before he could see them roll back into my head in bliss. “I can’t keep my hands off you,” he whispered in my ear, his cold minty breath making my body tingle.

I smiled and turned my face up to see him better. “I’ve noticed.” My words were starting to sound slurred and I hadn’t even had anything to drink since our going away party at Spencer’s house. “You’re going to have to watch yourself this week, though.”

His eyes sparkled when he laughed again. “Oh, don’t worry about that. I think I’m smart enough to not feel you up with your father sitting at the other end of the table.” Noticing my raised eyebrows he smirked. “It won’t happen, I promise,” he said.

Rolling my eyes I sat up, pulling only slightly away from him but holding his hands gently in my palms. “I feel like I should warn you about my family,” I sighed. “They’re…crazy.” He grinned and opened his mouth to retort, but I shushed him. “I’m serious,” I insisted. “You’ve met my two aunts in Cali. Those guys were nothing compared to what you’re about to have to deal with.”

His smile faltered for a moment. The brief time he’d spent with my California relatives wasn’t exactly the most fun. Don’t get me wrong, I love them, but having them meet my boyfriend was weird. My one aunt was fine, normal even, but the older one…I seriously think she has issues. All Brendon did was tell a joke, and she got so huffy she pretty much stormed out of the house. She left the door open and everything, so one of the dogs got out, and we spent most of the night looking for it in her pretentious neighborhood.

“They’re moody,” I warned. “You have to be careful with them at first…at least my dad’s side. They’re what I’m really most worried about. My aunts will make you feel uncomfortable. They’ll probably ask if we’re having sex.” His drooped smile quickly turned into a smirk, his eyebrows bobbing. I grinned and quickly pecked him on the lips.

“If you eat any food they bring, and act like you like it, they’ll approve. My cousin Travis will probably give you the most trouble. He still acts like a teenager, even with a kid. But he means well, really. Just don’t get too comfortable outside of the pool.” I shuddered imagining the ridiculously cold water that lay in my family’s backyard pool, and the numerous times I’d been dragged in against my free will.

“Anne.” His voice still gave me goosebumps. “I’m sure they’re not that bad. If they’re anything like you, I’m sure I’ll be fine,” he smiled, leaning closer until his lips were centimeters away from mine. “I’ve managed you pretty well so far.” I wasn’t so tired when his mouth moved against mine, and it took a while for me to remind myself to breathe through my nostrils. When he pulled away enough to place gentle, tender kisses on my cheeks, my eyelids, and once on my nose, I grumbled after a giggle escaped up my throat.

He laughed and sat back till his back touched the window. Suddenly his face softened and he reached to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. “You need to stop worrying, Annie,” he said quietly, stroking my face with his fingertips. “It’s gonna be fun. And after our visit here, we have Nags Head to look forward to.”

I smiled and turned my head to kiss his palm, reaching up to hold it in place. “I love you,” I whispered, linking my fingers with his and leaning closer to him. He smiled and closed his eyes just before I gave him a sweet kiss, lingering as long as possible. I only pulled back when the pilot’s voice overhead announced we’d be landing in ten minutes.

He pulled my head down to rest on his chest and wrapped his arms around me. He was my safe cocoon. “I love you, too,” he whispered in my hair, placing a gentle kiss on my head. My face nestled into him, I sighed contently. He was so amazing, and I couldn’t believe he’d decided to stick with me for so long.

I was still worried about how my family would react. They didn’t exactly know how to behave. But Brendon didn’t seem at all concerned, so I would try to remain calm.

I felt his heart beating wildly in my ear, and wondered if he was more nervous than he let on.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story =D I really hope I continue to like this one. I have great plans for it =D