Status: indefinite hiatus

Siren's Song

Two Sides Of The Same Coin.

Days passed relatively uneventfully, and soon - though not nearly as soon as I would have liked, though if you implied so I would have denied it - it was Saturday. I was in my room getting ready when Harley Quinn decided to barge in.

“Hey, Bells, you wanna - oh, hey. Whatcha doin’?” I frowned.

“If it was your business you would know already.” I heard the stress of springs as she plopped herself onto my bed.

“But, I was gonna ask if you wanted to help me -”

“I don’t know what you’re going to say to finish that sentence, but the answer is no. And, even if I didn’t have plans, the answer would still be no.”

“But - Ooh, plans?” I mentally kicked myself.

“Yes, plans. No, you’re not invited. Yes, it’s in town. And, no, I won’t tell you,” I said, wanting to answer all the questions that I thought she would ask, in hopes of getting her to leave my room sooner.

“You gonna bring some clowns?” she asked.

“What? No! It’s not that kind of plans.”

“Oh… Does Mr. J know?” I shrugged.

“Doesn’t matter one way or the other. I’m not telling him any more than I told you!”

“But…”

No, Harley. Now,” I said as I finished clasping my necklace, a simple gold chain with a music note charm, “Get out. I’m leaving, and I don’t want you in here while I’m gone.” She pouted.

“Fine!” she said, stomping out of the room. I rolled my eyes. Honestly, she was at least ten years my senior, and I had to take on the babysitter role. It was pathetic.

Grabbing my purse as I went, I walked out of my room, locking it behind me. Turning, I walked through to the main room, ignoring the occasional comment about my appearance. I was almost to the door when Daddy’s voice stopped me.

“What’s this that Harley tells me about plans?” I turned to him.

“That I have them. And, if you don‘t mind, this needs to be quick so that I can leave. I don’t want to be late.” He narrowed his eyes at my tone, and crossed the room to stand in front of you.

“Perfume?” he questioned. “That must mean there’s someone to impress…” His face set. “You’re not going on a date.”

“Yes, Daddy, I am.”

“Not unless I know all the details.” I took a deep breath before responding angrily.

“I’m not telling you who it is, because you’ll try to do something. I’m not telling you where it is, because then you’ll see me with him, and try to do something. Like it or not, Daddy, I’m a twenty-two year old girl. That’s old enough to date!”

Anger showed in his expression, and I’m sure that, if it wasn’t for the makeup, I would have seen his face purple with rage.

“You ought to remember who you’re speaking to.” Footsteps let me know that the men were filing out of the room, knowing that this was something they weren’t a part of. I softened, in face and in tone.

“I know who I’m speaking to, Daddy. I’ll never forget. But you can’t keep trying to control every aspect of my life! Don’t you see, Daddy? I’m not just the Siren. I’m Isabelle, too. The Siren is your employee. Isabelle is your daughter.” I paused, lowering my voice. “Don’t drive her away.”

His anger was replaced with surprise, and I could see a hint of sorrow in his eyes. This was the human side of him. This was Jack Napier, not the Joker, and this was something few people ever got to see.

“I have to go, Daddy,” I said softly, touching his arm. “I don’t want to be late.”

I turned and stepped towards the door, but his arm stopped me. I looked at him. His facial expression still held that sorrow.

“Be careful,” he whispered, obviously not wanting anyone else to hear him show such a ‘weakness’ as concern. I said nothing, just nodded. He released me, and I left the warehouse.

It was hard sometimes, being the Joker’s daughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was short, but I think it was important.
I'll post the next chapter later today.

Thanks to house-of-ice and thegreatcalamity for commenting!
Means a lot to me, guys.