Sequel: Best Man
Status: Completed

Better Man

Still Waters Run Deep

Image

When Mike heard the initial news about Nick, he was shocked and worried, perhaps more for Caroline's sake than Nick's. He couldn't tell if there was any distinction. The foursome even asked him if he'd like to come to the hospital which he agreed to, and it was then, when he arrived, that they sat him down while Dave asked the older man, on The Sinners' behalf, if he'd record with them on the rest of their album.

Obviously, he was more than happy to lend a hand.

It meant more time with Caroline, and, well, he was going a little stir crazy with nothing musical to do aside from jamming with his band or side band, The Frustrators.

But the beginning of recording with The Sinners wasn't as peachy as he would've hoped, only for the simple fact that Caroline seemed a little distant toward him. She didn't even come over to his place as often to help with Estelle's room, wondering if he'd done something wrong.

About halfway through the month, it was really starting to eat at Mike, so he followed Caroline out of the studio after a session and caught up with her in the parking lot in order to talk with her.

She had the driver's side door open and was bending forward, getting something from inside, and giving Mike a pleasant view of her backside in the shorts she wore.

However nice it was to just stare, he shyly cleared his throat to get her attention.

Caroline turned her head, looking back at him from over her shoulder. "Hey," she muttered.

"Hey," he repeated, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I was wondering if we could, uh, talk?"

Withdrawing from the inside of her car, Caroline stood up, holding a dark pink candle and a felt-tip pen in her hands. "Talk? Talk about what?" she questioned, kicking the car door shut with the heel of her left foot.

"Yeah, um...just about something I've been wondering." He glanced at the candle. "What's that for?"

Caroline looked at the objects in her hand, then back up at Mike. "This is my favorite pen to write with, and this candle helps put me in the writing mood."

"It scented?"

"Yeah. It's called 'Aphrodisia.' I usually light it when me and Tre are--nevermind," she began to ramble before shaking it off. "Was that what you wanted to talk about? My candle?"

"Uh, no. I was wondering if we could talk about, um...why you've kinda been giving me the cold shoulder."

She just looked at him, holding his gaze before puckering her lips in consideration of thought and looking down at her feet only briefly. "I haven't been giving you the cold shoulder," she insisted. "I've just been...busy. With Nick's accident and this teeny change-up with you playing for us, it's a little strange to get used to, since I'm so accostomed to just Dave, Nef and Nick at my side," she explained. "They're my boys."

"I understand that," Mike assured. "But you've even been calling to cancel with helping me with Estelle's room and I was just wondering if maybe I did or said something to you to make you act a little stand-offish."

They locked eyes once more until Caroline looked over his shoulder toward the studio building, and shook her head. "You didn't do anything," she insisted. "I've just been...busy. Like I said." She offered him a smile and even nudged his arm playfully as she walked past him.

"Okay," he caved, not pushhing any further.

"Now, c'mon. I don't wanna be outside when it opens up and pours," she added, looking and gesturing to the cloudy asky above their heads.

Mike nodded and followed behind her, now able to help but think that something was eating at her as well.

* * *

A day or so later, everyone under the sun seemed to be gather at Tre's house for a birthday party in honor of Caroline, who was turning 26. And not only was it Caroline's birthday, but it was also the 8th month anniversary of Mike having a crush on her.

Eight long months. And Tre had been able to have her for a little over seven of them. All because Mike missed his chance.

As he moved about the house with a drink in his hand, he found he was still holding onto the gift he'd brought for her as if he was carrying around a strapless purse.

And, holy shit, was it hot out. Given that it was mid summer in California, that statement was pretty much obvious.

The stereo was blasting outside with Hole's 'Doll Parts' playing while many people were crowded around the pool, or near the grill. The sun had instantly begun to beat down ferociously on Mike as he stepped outside into the backyard, still holding the gift and his drink, wondering where the birthday girl was.

And then he heard her voice echo out, singing along to the song, even better than Courtney Love could ever perform the song.

Mike turned his head to see Caroline was wading in the pool; walking backwards and swishing her arms around in circles while keeping her head above water and still singing.

"Someday you will ache like I ache..." she belted, raspily, garnering a few smiles from those around her.

Smiling to himself, Mike made his way over to the edge of the pool and crouched down; his heart skipping a beat when she noticed him.

"Hey Mike," she called over to him, grinning.

She began to move over to the side of the pool he was at, which was the shallower end so, by the time she reached him, the water was at her waist, and he got a pleasant view of Caroline in her black, string bikini. She was wearing sunglasses and a hat which covered her dry hair, which she had somehow managed to keep that way despite being in the pool with several others. It was the way her considerably full breats just barely fit inside her bikini top really made Mike wanna jump into the pool so he could cool himself down.

It wasn't like Caroline was the thin, buxom type. She was built closer to the way Adrienne was built, in some respects. She had womanly hips and thighs, and her stomach wasn't all that toned, but she had that hourglass curve to her. And her feet and hands were so small and delicate. And that bottom lip of hers that Mike desparatley wanted to bite down on in a kiss.

Pulling off her sunglasses, she placed them on top of her hat and then squinted because of the sun as she looked up at Mike with another smile, biting that same bottom lip that Mike wanted to bite.

"Hey," Mike said right back. "Happy birthday."

Caroline smirked and eyed the gift in his right hand. "That for me?"

Mike nodded. "Might be," he replied coyly.

"Hmm...might be, huh? What will it take to know for sure?"

"Another smile?" he suggested, impishly.

"That I can do." Flashing him a big grin, Caroline reached up her wet, left arm to take the present from Mike.

"You want to open it now? In the water?"

She screwed up her mouth and then handed the gift back as she placed the palms of her hands on the edge of the pool and lifted herself up out of the water. Mike discreetly admired how the water just rolled off her body as she sat down beside him and then took the gift back.

"Okay, now let me see."

Slowly, she took the wrapping paper off and handed it off to Mike as she stared down at a plain, white box. Taking the lid off, she stared down at a rolled up piece of yellow material. As she pulled it out and began to unroll it, a light blue iPod fell back down into the box.

"Oh, cool. I don't have an iPod. Thank you, Mike," she beamed, looking over to him and brushing her wet arm against his bare one, due to the black beater he wore.

"Welcome," he responded, glad she liked it. "Now, unroll that. I had it made just for you."

"Really?" Excitedly, Caroline began to unroll the material, realizing it was a yellow, baby tee with black letters across the chest that said: 'Property Of Tre Cool.'

She looked it over and smirked, but only faintly. "Heh..."

"You like it? I thought you might get a kick out of it," he said, even though a part of him felt sour about giving it to her at all.

"Yeah, I like it," she replied, half-heartedly. "Only one problem."

"What? Is it the wrong size?"

"No. Nothing like that." She set everything in her lap and smiled a little at him. "I'm not anyone's property."

They shared a look and for a minute Mike was mentally kicking himself for getting her the shirt. But then she linked her arm through his and gave him a playful nudge.

"Don't look so paranoid, Mike. I still like it."

Her smile melted away his fears and he felt that he could breath easier. But then he heard Tre's voice, which cut through his happy feeling, bringing him back to reality.

"Where's my birthday girl?" called the drummer, happily.

Caroline turned her head and unhooked her arm from Mike's and handed him her hat and sunglasses as she swiftly put the shirt he got her over her head and then straightened it out.

"Perfect fit," she remarked with a grin as she scrambled to her feet with the iPod in hand.

"Yeah, it is," Mike mumbled to himself.

"I'm here," Caroline called back to her boyfriend. She walked through the people and held her arms out, showing off the shirt to him.

"'Property Of Tre Cool,' huh? Me likey," Tre commented with a sly grin. "Where'd you get that?"

"From Mike, along with this spiffy iPod."

Tre lifted his eyes past his girlfriend over to his best friend who had gotten to his feet and began to approach. "Nice gift, Mike."

Mike simply nodded.

"Where've you been?" Caroline nodded, giving Tre a kiss. "The host of the party isn't supposed to go AWOL."

"I had to pick something up. And it doesn't matter if I disappear for a while, because everyone's not here for me. They're here for the guest of honor. Vis-a-vis, you."

Caroline grinned playfully, wrapping her arms around Tre's chest as he wrapped his arms around her as well, placing a kiss on her nose.

"Want your gifts now?" he asked.

"Ooh, I like the plural of that."

Tre smirked and reached his right hand behind him and pulled a thin, long black box out of his back pocket and presented it to her. "Here."

Biting her bottom lip in curiousness, Caroline opened the box and her face lit up instantly. "Oh, God, Tre. It's so pretty," she cooed. Inside was a gold necklace, bejeweled with little rubies and diamonds.

"Like?"

"Very much."

"Good. 'Cause that's just the beginning," Tre spoke, vaguely.

"What else did you get me?" she asked like a little girl.

"Well, it's what I went to pick up," he replied, stepping out of the way, revealing a young woman standing behind him.

Caroline's eyes widened and she squealed, gathering looks from several guests, including Mike and Tre.

"Omigod, Giselle!" Caroline threw her arms around the young woman, who returned the gesture with a big smile. Caroline turned her head to Tre and smack him on the arm. "You brought me my sister?"

As the two women parted, Mike found himself confused. Caroline and her sister looked nothing alike, aside from both having brown hair.

"This is the best gift ever, Tre," Caroline gushed. "Thank you so much."

The blue-eyed bassist found himself smiling for the birthday girl, but still a little confused. While Caroline and her sister, Giselle, went off to play catch up, Mike went off to have a little something to eat and mingle.

* * *

As the day became night, Mike found himself getting a little drunk, but not on purpose or anything. Simply because he was having a pretty good time at the party. He had gone swimming earlier, playing 'Chicken' with Billie Joe and Adrienne as one team, Tre and Caroline as another and him and Giselle as the third. Billie Joe and Adrienne had come out victorious in the end. It had been a close battle. Giselle had been knocked off Mike's shoulders within no time at all by her own sister, and given that Adrienne and Caroline were built similarly, it was a close call.

And now everything was settling down. There were traces of cake still on discarded plates in and outside of the house as Mike sauntered into the kitchen, alone, holding a can of beer. And he was so tipsy that he wasn't even sure what brand of beer he was drinking. Maybe Coors, maybe Budweiser, maybe Pabst.

Bringing the cold can to his forehead, Mike went to the downstairs bathroom, really needing to take a leak, but found it to be occupied. So, he made the trek upstairs to one of the other bathrooms, thankful it was empty. Doing his business, Mike felt a little relieved as he flushed and washed his hands in the sink, staring at himself in the mirror, but not really seeing himself. He picked the beer can up again and looked it over.

"Heh...Pabst. Whaddayaknow?" he slurred, as he opened the door, and hearing the click of another door shutting.

Mike's head turned at the sound, finding Giselle coming out of Tre's room, dressed in the clothes she'd been wearing before swimming with everyone, and now holding her bathing suit and wet towel that had been wrapped around her waist the majority of the evening.

"Hey," he nodded, acknowledging her.

"Hi Mike," she smiled.

"Hey," he repeated, not sure if he had spoken first or not.

She simply grinned at him, noting his slightly drunken posture. "So, uh...sorry about falling early and ousting us out of the game," she apologized lightheartedly.

"Ptth, that's okay," he shrugged nonchalantly. He just looked at her for a moment, studying her face and then, blurted, "How come you don't look anything like Caroline?"

Giselle laughed. "I guess she hasn't told you that she's adopted," she remarked. "And so am I. Our parents couldn't have kids so they adopted Caroline first, when she was five months old, which was, I think, Christmas of 1980. They adopted me In September of '81. I was only a month old."

"Wow, really?" he questioned as Giselle nodded. "I was adopted, too."

"Small world."

"Yeah, I think I was about six weeks old when I was adopted, so, kinda like you. Pretty much a newborn," he explained. "My birth mom was a teenage drug addict and didn't want me. What's your story? I mean, do you know your story?"

Giselle gave a soft nod, still holding onto her damp bathing suit and towel. "My mom was a 14-year-old girl who was raped by by a family member. That's all I know."

Mike paused for a moment, wincing on Giselle's behalf. Who wants to be the product of unwanted incest? That's some shitty origins. "What about Caroline?" Mike wondered.

"No one really knows," Giselle commented sadly. "Apparently Caroline was only a few hours old when a guy walking through an alleyway heard a baby crying. He went closer to the noise and found her wrapped up in a gray T-shirt, inside a dumpster."

"Holy shit..."

"Yeah, whoever her mother was, didn't want her. And didn't even have the audacity to leave her somewhere safe, like at a hospital, or somewhere cliche like on someone's doorstep. They just...dumped her."

Hearing that sobered Mike up a little. And he thought his start in the world was sad. At least he came into it being taken care of by nurses and whatnot and then adopted six weeks after. Caroline was born and left for dead in a dumpster, and adopted when she was five months old.

"According to my mom and dad, Caroline didn't warm up to them all that well at first. She'd cry and cry and cry and didn't even say her first word until she was almost a year old," Giselle carried on.

Mike leaned against the wall and smirked sadly. "What was she like as a kid?"

"Playful. She played mostly with the boys on the street, making forts and swimming in their pools. But she was quiet, too. We moved when she was six and I was five. Only to another town, but the move took her away from her friends. And she was a little shy to make new ones. Her and I ended up being more of each other's friends, playing Barbies together," the younger sister told the bassist. "But then we moved again, from the outskirts of the city, deeper into the suburbs and we started middle school. And it was the summer after Caroline finished eighth grade that she flew out here to California by herself to stay with our aunt and uncle who were stationed at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield."

"Yeah, I know where that is," Mike remarked. "When was it that she came out here?"

"'94." Smirking, Giselled continued. "She fell in love with it out here. She even spent Christmas '98 out here. She'd just finished her first semester of college and I remember talking to her on the phone about how she was determined to live out here one day, and she finally got her wish. She finally found where she belongs."

"Yeah...it looks like she did," Mike agreed.