You'll Be the Death of Me

Twenty-three.

It had been two weeks. Two long, miserable weeks without seeing Bam's face. Without hearing his laugh; his voice; the sound of his skateboard along the snake-run drive. I hadn't spoken to him in two weeks. Not a call, a text, nothing. Ville had called a couple of times to check up on me, but always had to leave for Bam within a couple of minutes. It was the day I knew I should have been back at Bam's; November 24th. I told him two weeks, and I wasn't going back any more. My mother was already into full swing on wedding plans, insisting she wanted a May wedding, leaving us only six months to get every tiny detail completed. I knew I had another six months before it was even possible for me to see Bam again, and it was absolutely killing me. I knew it was probably selfish of me to want Bam at my wedding, but I knew if it wasn't him I was walking toward, then I'd at least have to have him near me. I shouldn't be thinking like this when I was a marked woman, the engagement ring on my finger glaring in the face of any man who dared look my way. The entire thing repulsed them, and myself, like an ugly scar cut across my face; the feeling I got when I looked at it made me physically sick, but I always knew that if it had come from Bam I would have had no problem looking down at it and smiling. In fact, my only problem would be looking down at it and not smiling.
"Right, so, guest lists. This one is actually down to us, Freda, darling," my mother smiled. She was so proud of me now. Ever since I'd agreed to this she'd been beaming at me, not bothering to realise how miserable I was. Not bothering to realise I didn't want anything less than I wanted this.
"You mean I get to choose who comes?!" My eyes gleamed. I knew what I was doing here; I knew I could finally get Bam and the others there. Before now I'd been having trouble seeing my plan actually coming into action.
"Yes, of course, to a certain extent. Now, let’s start with ideas."
"Johnny."
"No, dear, we don't want to have to pay for damages." I groaned. He was almost my big brother, he had to be there! I suppose the only way he can get in now is as a plus one.
"Well, erm, I want Henrietta and Melissa..."
"Yes, of course! Such lovely young ladies they are." She wrote them down on the list. I had to stop from smirking; she didn't realise Johnny and Meli were together, so obviously she overlooked him coming as her plus one.
"And, erm, Ville and Brandon, maybe?" She just looked at me, totally clueless. "They're rich, mother, that's all you need to know."
"Surnames?"
"Ville Valo and Brandon Margera. Ville lives in Finland, and Ba- Brandon lives in America." She nodded stiffly and added them. We spent hours going over who was coming. After I had gotten those four, I didn't care who else came. They all had a plus one, so Meli would no doubt bring Johnny, as planned, and Bam and Ville would each bring one of the guys. I think these things out quite well, actually, considering I had only a few minutes to figure it all out for myself.

Bam POV.
It had been a month since I'd seen her. A month since I'd spoken to her. All I'd heard from Ville and the guys this entire month was to just call, but I didn't know if I could bear it. I hadn't been myself the entire month, everything had been numbed. The sounds weren't as sharp; the colours not as bright. I didn't know how I'd gotten this deep without even realising, all I knew was I was more than just miserable without Freda. I acted like I was fine, but everyone knew I wasn't, it really was plain to see no matter how hard I tried to hide it. Her voice was the only thing that could make me smile, but the words she said were the ones that would break me down further. I was in a lose-lose situation.
"Brandon Cole Margera!" A female voice screeched up the stairs, in the disapproving tone I had received since I was in high school. It was the tone of voice only a mother seemed to be able to master.
"What?" I grumbled as my door flung open. It was still morning, and I wasn't in the mood to even think about leaving my bed, never mind having a conversation with anyone.
"Call her." She stated, handing out a phone to me. I shook my head, I couldn't and she knew it. "Do it, Brandon. Now." Again, I shook my head. Her expression hardened. She pulled the phone back, out of my reach, and began pressing buttons. Finally, she threw it at me. "It's calling. And you will speak to her. The girl's miserable, and she needs you as much as you need her." I opened my mouth to protest, but that moment the call connected and I heard the muffled notes of her voice coming through the speaker.
"Hello? Bam?" She asked as I put the phone to my ear and let out a heavy sigh.
"Hey, Fred," I said, watching with a half-hearted scowl as my mother left the room.
"I thought you'd forgotten about me," she told me. Her voice was slow and sad, and I could just imagine the tiny pout she would have on her lips. I sighed once again. The thought alone was enough to make me want to get on a plane to her right then and there.
"I could never do that. Never."
"Then how come you haven't called?" I could imagine the pout worsening, the sad look in her eyes, and, honestly, it killed me.
"I- I- I just couldn't. It hurt, Freddy," I sighed. I couldn't stop. It was a habit I knew I couldn't kill when I was in these moods. Silence followed my words and I knew I'd stumped her. I don't think she expected me to care. "I missed you. A lot," I let out finally. It was the first time I had admitted that to anyone, and letting the words themselves out of my mouth felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest. She needed to know how I felt; how much it hurt without her around.
"I missed you more. At least you can leave when you need to get your mind off things. I'm stuck in the same rooms, the same few streets. It's driving me insane."
"Then go away. Leave... come back here." The last suggestion was weak, but I was hopeful. I needed that tiny fragment of hope.
"I would if I could, Bam Bam, but I can't. My bank was frozen - I can't touch anything until after the wedding."
And, with that, my tiny spark of hope was crushed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, stayed out yesterday without planning to.
Whoops?