Courage to Continue

Chapter 34

Mikey’s P.O.V:

Neither Gerard nor Minty had turned up to lunch yet. I bet Gerard’s apologising in the sweetest way possible and Minty will take the bait, as always. Give it a week or two and Gerard will hurt her yet again, leaving them in the same situation…heartbroken and depressed. A vicious cycle. Finally, Minty emerged from the crowd of hungry teenagers. “Hi” she said, sitting down beside me.
“Hi’ we all mumble back. There’s a long silence. Everyone sneaks a look at her grazed cheek.
“We’re really sorry Minty” Ray said. “If there’s anything we can do…” Minty suddenly burst out crying, burying her head in her hands. I placed my arm behind her back, comforting her. Us guys exchanged worried facial expressions. After a few minutes, Minty stopped crying.
“I’m gonna b-break up with G-Gerard” she stuttered. “F-For good.”
“You’re probably doing the right thing Minty” I said. Speak of the devil…Gerard was making his way over to our table. His eyes met Minty’s and he stopped walking, as if he could read her mind. However, he then continued to walk over to us, sitting on the very end of the table when he reached us. He didn’t say a word, just sat there and stared down at his feet. That was a good thing though…

Gerard’s P.O.V:

Once I reached my friends table in the busy cafeteria, I sat down as far away as possible from Minty. I had a bad feeling about sitting with them at all. Surely, they must hate me for dong what I did. Hell, it was bad enough that I raped Minty whilst drunk, but hitting her whilst sober? That was as bad as it could ever get. I hated myself. “Well…is anyone gonna say anything?” asked Bob. I had nothing left to say. I’ve done enough damage.
“I’m gonna go” Minty suddenly said, her voice weak and faint.
“Okay Take it easy” Mikey said.
“Bye” Ray called as she walked away. Ever as I was staring at the floor, I knew they were all looking at me.
“Do you guys hate me?” I asked, tears falling from my eyes.
“We don’t hate you Gee” Frank replied. “We’re disappointed in you, but not enough to hate you.”
“Frank’s right Gee” Bob said. “I don’t hate you. You just made a huge mistake.”
“A mistake you’ve payed for” Mikey added. What did he mean by that?
“What?” I said, puzzled. The guys all looked away from me.
“Minty…Minty is breaking up with you” Mikey said, placing his hand on my shoulder. Although I already knew this time would come, it still hurt. To know that I’d wrecked my last chance with Minty, with happiness. It was all my fault and mine alone. I got what I deserved in the end. More tears trickled down my face. I wiped them away furiously, determined not to cry at school twice in one day. I was failing though. The pain was too great for me to bare.
“Sorry Gee” Ray said. I barely heard him over my heavy breathing.
“I need some fresh air” I said. I got up and walked outside. I wondered around aimlessly, stopping under the tree where Minty and I first kissed. I sighed. I’ll never forget her. I hope she feels the same. Damn, I hope she forgives me. I wonder if she took my note to heart and listened to my pained words.