Tuesday

Act I; Part I.

The clock was glowing 11:06 PM when I decided to call. I half expected, half hoped he wouldn't answer. Halfway through the fifth ring, he answered.

"Hello?" My heartbeat quickened when I heard him.

"H-hey, do you think you can pick me up? I know it's late –"

"No, sure, I'll be there in a minute."

I didn't expect it when I felt my phone buzz in the pocket of my striped hoodie. I had a new text message, it read "I'm down the street from your house". I silently thanked God for making him realize my parents would kill me had they known I was sneaking out with an eighteen year old boy when I was just sixteen.

I tiptoed past their bedroom door, and sped up once I reached the kitchen. I slipped through the back door and out into my backyard. I opened the gate and ran down the driveway, down the block, to the car parked at the end of my street. He nodded at me once he caught sight of me. I looked down at my clothes and realized I hadn't changed out of my purple shorts and white tank top. I was glad I was wearing a hoodie to cover most of my body. I opened the car door and sat down. Once it was closed he started the car and began driving.

"So why'd you call me at 11 at night begging me to pick you up?" I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"I wasn't begging," I muttered. He reached over and patted my knee, grinning at me.

"Pleading, begging, same thing." The smirk faded when he saw my serious expression.

"I just needed out of my house."

"You can spend the night at my apartment," he offered. I glanced up at him.

"Could I?" He nodded, turning up the volume on his stereo. Blink 182 filled the car. I leaned my head against the cold window, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Danielle, are you okay?" There was a pause. "Do you want to tell me your real reason for calling me?" I took a deep breath.

"My dad. He's really pissed off for some reason, and my mom left. I just need out." I could feel the tears begin to build up. He reached out and grasped my hand.

"It'll be okay," he whispered. We pulled up into his apartment complex, and got out of the car at the same time. He took my hand protectively before leading me into the building. He let go once we got to his door, so he could unlock it. He gently nudged me inside.

Wil and I had been friends for awhile, but I had never been to his apartment. It was small, especially for someone like him. He grasped my hand and pulled me into the kitchen area.

"Are you hungry?" he asked. I shook my head. "Listen, Danielle, if something happened…" I shook my head again.

"Nothing happened," I assured him truthfully. I leaned against the counter, staring at him. He stared back, before pulling me against him. I let the tears fall into his shirt. I grasped the fabric with one hand, and wrapped my arm around his neck with the other. He pulled away, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Cheer up. It's okay, you're out of there now," he said. "Let's go watch Lost reruns or something." He took my hand and led me into the bedroom. My instincts told me to leave, that the "something" offer was more than just that.

--

I woke up undressed beside him the next morning. I stared at the ceiling, wiping away tears that hadn't even fallen yet. I rolled over onto my side and took in every feature his face contained. His long hair, his lips, his cheeks, everything. I felt a pang of sadness as I stood up and got dressed.

I walked home. It wasn't that far of a walk.

I slipped in through the back door, thankful it was still early. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a fresh tee shirt before I scrawled a note to my parents saying I'd be on a walk, and this time took the front door.

I walked to the nearby lake and was standing on the banks of it was when I heard him. He walked up behind me, staring where I was.

"Why did you leave?" he asked. I finally turned to face him.

"What we did last night was wrong." He shook his head. I looked away.

"I was going to apologize for taking advantage of you." I glanced at him.

"Why are you here?" I suddenly asked.

"I wanted to say sorry." I shook my head. I was going to give in, I knew it.

And then his lips were on mine. And then I kissed back.

He didn't even wait until we got to his apartment. Once in the car he began pulling at my clothes. I pushed him away gently.

"Let's wait." I gave him a playful grin and turned away. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him smirk. He reached over and took my hand.

"I wanna run away with you." He said it suddenly. I stared at him.

"Wil…"

"We can come back after awhile. I want to run away with you," he repeated. Instead of taking the left turn, towards his apartment and my house, he took the right one. It led out of town.

"Wil, we can't do this."

"We can do anything we want, Danielle," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter one aka half of the first one shot.