Status: Currently Editing

My Story

Chapter Fourteen

Amy’s point of view

I wiped the last remaining tears from my eyes. I had never seen Matt and Holly that mad at each other. In fact I had never seen them mad at each other ever. They were like the perfect married couple, except that they weren’t married and they weren’t a couple, yet.

I sat on the dirty floor of the girls’ bathroom. I’m guess that no one had cleaned in here for a while. It smelled of urine and vomit, not a good mix, the taps were all rusted and the tiles chipped.

I tried to pull my self together. I couldn’t let this get to me. So what if they were mad at each other? They weren’t mad at me right? No, I should just forget about it. I stood up and brushed my self off. My school dress was covered in dirt and was dusty. I took my jumper off and smacked it against the wall to lessen the dust infestation. I coughed on the dust swatted at the air. I put my jumper back on and went to the mirror to fix my hair and make up.

Ugh, I looked disgusting. My hair was all over the place and the little bit of mascara I had put on this morning was mix in with my tears in ugly streaks down my face. I wet my hands and used some paper towel to clean it off. My face was red and blotchy; there wasn’t much that I could do about that. I splashed my face with some water, dried it off and left it. Nothing could be done with my hair without a brush, so I simply tied it up. I sighed, I was already so late for class, I had better get going.

I headed towards the door, there had been an announcement just a few minutes before but I hadn’t caught it. I stepped outside and gasped, chocking then on the smoke. Smoke? Where had that come from? Oh, no!

“Fire!” I heard someone in the distance yell.

“Hello?” I shouted. The smoke was so thick I couldn’t see a thing. There were voices coming from all over I didn’t know which was to go, “help!” I yelled, “Somebody! Please, help me!”

I started gasping and the tears began to come. I couldn’t stop myself and I started to sob. My mind was racing a mile a minute. I ran back inside and closed the door behind me. I headed to the sink and started to turn on al the taps; if the fire was going to get closer I’d need water. Then I sat at the furthest corner from the door and waited, hoping that someone would find me before that happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oww!” I shouted suddenly. It had been a while since I had first sat down and the walls had gotten hotter. My heart was racing; I didn’t know what to do.

I moved to the centre of the room. I had removed my jumper and soaked it in the sink. Where was I getting al these ideas from?

Things around me had started creaking and all the voices I had heard before were long gone. For now I was all alone. I looked up. The roof had four wooden beams running across it form side to side and at the moment they weren’t looking to stable at the moment.

I heard a groan and gasped. The beams were moving. I ran to the side of the room, what if they fell? My back slammed against the wall.

“Aaaaaaaah!” I screamed, the wall was so hot, it burned through my dress. The beams were groaning again. “Help!” I cried, “Help!” but there was no one there, there was no one to save me.

I couldn’t think clearly, this isn’t happening, this is not happening. I heard one last groan form the beams and then…

Holly’s point of view

I sat on the grass waiting; Matt had gone off to help find Amy but from what I could see he wasn’t having any luck. I was starting to get really worried.

I felt the cool metal of my necklace against my skin and was reminded of home. I took it out from inside my dress to marvel at its beauty. It looked spectacular, like it had just come out of its box. I hopped that no one was worrying about me, the news of the fire must have gotten out by now, it could probably be seen for miles. Somewhere amongst this crowd was Caitlin, probably worrying about her hair or something. Mum, dad and Adam were probably at home worrying their heads off. I was surprised they hadn’t come down to get us.

A voice on the loud speaker sounded, “Will all students please gather themselves around here. Parents will be called and you shall all be sent home as soon as possible. Please stay calm, everything will be fine.”

Fine! I felt like I could scream, everything was so not going to be fine. I wasn’t going to let anyone take me home. Not while Amy was still in danger. I stood up and walked over to where Matt was.

“Hey, what’s going on?” I asked him. There were people running about all around us. Everything was so messed up.

“They won’t listen to me!” Matt told me, scratching his head.

Someone knocked into my arm and I began to fall backwards, “What do you me?” I asked grabbing his arm for support.

“I mean, I think I may know where Amy is!” he said steadying me.

“Really?”

“Yeah, if I could just get someone to listen to me then maybe we could go find her,” Matt sighed.

There was a dilemma. No on in their right minds would listen to two kids, especially one that just looks like she’s been crying. They hadn’t listened to Matt though, so I had to try.

I grabbed the arm of the nearest fire fighter, “Hey!” he cried, and I swung him around. He started at me, more like gawped at. What was this guy’s problem?

“Sir, we need you help. Our friend is stuck in the fire and we think we know where she may be. We just need to someone to listen to us and go looking!” I told him through all the noise.

He stared at me for a moment longer and I was beginning to think that it was lost cause, but then he spoke, “Of course ma’am, where might your friend be?” He asked me.

I turned to Matt not having any real idea myself.

“We need to search all the girls’ toilets in the school, most likely the ones in B Block, near the Home Eco rooms,” he told the fire fighter.

He nodded, “You two stay put,” he said and ran off.

“Nice work Holly!” Matt have me a high five.

“Thanks,” I told him. I wasn’t really sure why he had listened to me. In fact I had absolutely no clue.

Just then a teacher walked right by us, swinging around at the last second, “What are you two doing here?” she asked us. We flinched at the sound of her angry voice. “Get back to the oval immediately! And you girl, get rid of that necklace, we may have a crisis on our hands but that gives you no reason for breaking school rules.”

“Yes ma’am,” we said in unison.

We ran in the direction of the oval, my necklace bouncing, I didn’t bother tucking it in. No one would remember if I was wearing a necklace tomorrow at school anyway, that’s if there was a school standing tomorrow.

We stopped for breath. I turned to Matthew, “We’re going back right?” I asked him.

“Oh yeah,” he nodded in agreement.

I knew it was really stupid of us. We ran head long into a raging fire. Not the smartest of things, but we were really cut up over Amy. We had to go find her no matter what. She was our best friend after all, and friends help each other out in times of need. And this was Amy’s time of need, she needed our help so we were going to give it her. No question asked. There was also the little fact playing on our minds that if it wasn’t for us Amy would never be in this mess.

We pelted on until we reached the school buildings. There was a gathering of firemen about to enter. They all had the safety equipment on, we had nothing but our school clothes. Heck! Like that was going to stop us!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading everyone, hope you liked it.
Thank you for the wonderful comments! You've made me very happy!
=D