Status: Finished.

It's the Mess That Feels So Right...

Six.

Image

“A masquerade party? And you fail to tell me this until half an hour before my party, Gabriel?”

“Uh... yeah? Well, it’s not like it’s an actual masquerade with those poofy dresses and shit, it’s just causal except everyone will be wearing a mask, just to add to the excitement!” Gabe smiled at me, that same smile I had grown up with, the one that worked wonders in my mind, as he held out a dainty masquerade mask.

I was silent for a moment, and that obviously unnerved Gabe. He peered down at me, trying to figure out what I was thinking.

“You’re not... You’re not mad, are you?” Gabe asked quietly, his face radiating innocence that was enough to make me smile.

“Of course not Gabriel, I think it’s a great idea, thank you.” I laughed when he tackled hugged me in relief.

“Gabriel, you are kinda crushing my vital organs,” I gasped as he released me sheepishly.

“Sorry. I just don’t know how much longer I can do that,” He muttered before jumping up.

“What do you mean?”

“Never mind. Well hurry up and get ready! Oh, and I think I heard your phone ringing earlier.” I waited until he left before I pulled out my dress and the truck load of other things I needed to wear that Caleb had prepared earlier, despite my protests. I pulled out my phone, trying to get it to play the message. I hate all this technological shit. Finally it beeped and various voices spilled out of the speaker.

“Happy birthday!” I could hear all of Fall Out Boy scream before Pete’s voice took over. “I can’t believe you are turning eighteen! Jeez, if it wasn’t your birthday today, I would totally kick your underage ass out of my bar I’m letting you use! Ha ha, just kidding of course! Well, we just wanted to wish you a happy birthday, and to tell you to go get drunk! Nah, I’m kidding, don’t let Gabe hear that, he’ll bust my balls…” Patrick, Joe and Andy all laughed at this. “Yeah and so, maybe one day I’ll get around to getting you a present. Until then, adios!”

I rolled my eyes at this; it was a completely impossible that Pete would actually remember to get me a present. But the message left me smiling; it seemed that if Cobra Starship was my immediate family, Fall Out Boy had to be like my uncles. Crazy, immature, funny uncles. After five minutes of chucking everything on, knowing that Caleb would start fiddling with outfit the moment I got there anyway, I was ready and began the ten minute wait for Gabe, the style king himself, to finish getting ready.

-X-

So now I was here, in the midst of smoke machines, bright lights and many masked, sweaty people all dancing so close to each other, as I sat at the tiny bar that was hiding in the corner of large room, only occupied by a minority of people that had decided to sit out the clothes sex on the dance floor.

I’m having fun, I’m having fun, I’m having fun...

Well I was having fun; at least I think I am. I hadn’t been to many parties, tragic story of my life, only the ones that Caleb had managed to con me into. Speaking of Caleb, I was finding it hilarious as he made his way round the dance floor, hitting on anything with boobs and getting a few ‘face hi-fives’. I guess he isn’t as smooth as he thought he was.

I signaled the bartender for another coke, and nodded my head at him as the sweltering drink slid my way. Gabe looked up from the girl he had been dancing with, and smiled at me, trying to make his way over. The girl prevented him from getting any closer as she slyly twirled him around and across the room. My stomach tightened and a rhythmic beating pulsated in my temples. Why that sudden scene of Gabe being pulled away from me caused such a reaction I didn’t know, but I suddenly had to get out of harsh lights and the loud music that poured from the DJ booth that Gabe had been eying up most of the evening.

I jumped up from the stool, trying to balance myself before I began to walk, I was known from being unbelievably clumsy, and began to make my way toward the ladies room, until a large warm body collided with mine, intercepting my stride and casting me toward the ground. Once I hit the ground, I looked up, ready to accuse and bash the shit out of whoever that was, when I caught sight of the man in front of me. From this angle, he looked massive; he was tall and lanky, and looked so damn familiar that it was driving me crazy.

He knelt down until we were, how do I put this, eyes to eye? His face was half covered with a golden masquerade mask, but I could see a slight smile from the free side of his face.

“I’m so sorry, I kinda fell over my own feet, are you okay? I’m really sorry.” The guy in front of me stuttered on, and I tried to think of something to shut up the poor man. I ended up putting my hand over hishalf mouth and I felt the corner of his lips twitch upwards against my palm.

“It’s okay, really, I’m fine. No blood, no foul, right?” I said with a laugh and removed my hand from the strangers face.

“I guess not. Here,” The man said, grabbing my hand and pulling me to my feet as he handed back my masquerade mask that had become detached in the collision. With a brief smile, I took it off him and tied it back around my head, even though it annoyed the hell out of me.

“So to make up for my horrible first impression, may I have this dance?” He asked with a shy smile, he looked almost like he was out on a limb.

“Well, I don’t know, are you as balanced on your feet when you’re dancing, as you are when you’re walking?” I asked with a smile that he returned nervously.

“Uh, well, I’m actually, erm, not that...uh...”

“I was kidding, I would love to dance,” I cut him off, and grabbed his hand that intertwined through my fingers quickly. I pulled him through as the people until we had a spot of our own, and I looked up and saw how anxious he looked. He held out his hands, though it looked like he had no idea where to put them.

I grabbed his hands and placed them on my hips and curled my arms around his neck as he looked down at me shyly and began to sway us gently. We moved faster as the tempo increased, and the guy built up the nerve to twirl me round a bit. I had to admit, I was having a lot of fun with mystery man. Even as we both wandered of the dance floor, we were both still smiling, endorphins going mad.

“Well, I think I forgive you after that awesome dance, thank you,” I said as I played around with my mask.

“No, thank you, that was the most fun I’ve had in ages.” The man smiled up at me with a slight blush.

“Well, uh, excuse me for a moment, please?” I heard myself say and he nodded. I slipped away toward the staircase, that lead towards the roof of Angels and Kings, enjoying the feel of the late September breeze hitting my bare legs as I emerged up the top.

I sat down on a nearby crate and closed my eyes, listening to the city sounds. It had been... four years since my parents and brother left. Four years since Gabe took me in and just under four years since I nearly killed myself. I didn’t want to grow up; I didn’t want time to keep going. But most of all, I didn’t want my depression to slip into my life whenever, especially now. It made me feel fragile, and pathetic.

“Hey, you.” A warm voice whispered from beside me.

“Hey, mystery man. Stalking me, are we?” I said with a small smile. He let out a nervous chuckle and sat down on the crate next to me.

“It’s pretty isn’t it?” He muttered, looking out at the city.

“Yeah. It’s impossible to feel alone when you’re living in a place like this,” I replied, looking over at his figure, he was glowing in the city lights.

“That’s what I feel. So, what’s wrong? You seem sad, you know?” I gave him a small smile.

“I guess I just don’t want to grow up, it’s just...scary. It sounds stupid when I say it out loud,” I whispered, shaking my bangs out of my eyes.

“No it doesn’t, it makes sense. You want to be forever young, right?” He said with a gentle smile.

“Yeah I guess that’s what I want,” I gave out a small laugh and shivered. Even though it seemed like a weird thing to do to a guy I didn’t actually know, I moved closer to him, and rested my head on his shoulder. He smiled once again and I slowly closed my eyes.

-William’s PoV-

Maybe tonight wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. When Sisky had first pressured me into coming to this party, it was the last thing I felt like. In fact, hiding under my duvet for weeks on end was exactly what I felt like, but it was Sisky’s persistent whining that landed me here. I would have to thank him later.

She looked completely different, in fact, before I heard her voice, I would have never recognized her. She had changed, grown up, became... a woman, I guess.

I’ll never look at you like I used to now.

“Hey mystery man, are you ever going to tell me your name?” Bee asked sleepily from my shoulder, as I looked down at her with a smile.

“Maybe...” I whisper. I didn’t want her to know who I was, of course Bee had met me before, but maybe she would think differently of me because I was friends with Gabe or something. I was afraid she would treat me like an uncle or one of Gabe’s mates. I didn’t need a relationship right now; I know that, but a friend? Well, she could... be that person I need, the person I need to fall back on.

Alright Beckett, you’re getting in too deep.

I looked back down at Bee, her hair whipping into her face and her lips slightly parted as she breathed in slowly. I leant down quickly and kissed her forehead.

“Goodnight Bee, we're forever young.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't like how Will's PoV came out. >:[

Okay, see what happened was I had this written out, then I watched Gossip Girl and my best friend and I were discussing Masquerades so therefore, its a masquerade party!
Oh, and I've decided that when there is a lyric that suits the scene from Fast Times In Barrington High, I will underline it, in case you haven't got the CD yet.

Here's a sneak preview from the next chapter;
I rolled over, my legs tangling with sheets, until I felt a warm body underneath me, arms appearing and wrapping around my waist securely.
Oh, but it's not what you think!

By the way, your comments have been AMAZING! Thank you so so much, I love you guys more than Gabe loves Will. Feedback is awesome!

I love these two [and Guy Ripley!], honestly. And the look on Gabe's face when he sees her 'boobie', is priceless. Fangs up! :]