The Da Vinci Term

Flood! (Part 2)

Image

PART 2

The water level had risen sooner than expected, in an hour, it had reached the thigh…The girls were panic and some of them started crying. House Master Way, on the other hand, was busy comforting and assuring the girls that everything will be okay, and occasionally he tried on his cell phone to call for help.

“Yo Bob, we need help here!” he screamed into the phone while some of the girls behind him cried.

“The number you’ve called, cannot be reached at this moment. Please try again later…”

“Fuck!” Gerard cursed and tried dialling Dean Toro but the response came out the same.

“I think the phone reception is bad in this weather, sir,” Kathryn said sympathetically. “I tried to call other people but they said the number cannot be reached,” she added. Gerard shook his head.

“We need to call someone,” he said and grabbed the public telephone but he was crushed when there was no dial tone either.

“Are we gonna die, sir?” Alicia said, her eyes filled with tears.

Gerard looked at Alicia and wiped her tears with his hands. “No, Alicia. We are not gonna die. Someone will come and get us out of here.”

“Sir, do you think we should walk through the water?” Kathryn suggested.

Gerard shook his head. “No. This water flow from the hill and if we walk in it, the strong current will wash us away. We need to wait for the rescue boat…” He explained. Kathryn nodded and took Alicia’s hand. Both of them walked away and joined the other girls, who were sitting quietly at the third floor corridor.

“The water had reached the second floor, sir,” Polly said. Kathryn and Alicia stopped walking and looked back at Gerard. The House Master was lost in his thoughts...

Image
HMW: I must get these girls to a safer place…

House Master Way stood motionless at the window at the end of third floor hallway and gazed down outside to the water which rises as every seconds passed. He turned back and saw forty pairs of eyes were looking back at him.

“We are going to be allright, “ he said, walked and sat between them. The girls moved closer to him, as if doing so will make things better.

“We are scared, Mr. Way,” said Bella, between her sobs. “We don’t wanna die drowning in the water,” she added.

Gerard looked at Bella with his caring eyes. “No one’s gonna die, Bella. Someone will come and rescue us,” he said.

“That’s what you said an hour ago!” Another girl, Sasha protested.

“Shh! Sasha! We have to be patient!” Said Cassy, who sat beside her.

“I don’t wanna die here…” Bella said again, and wiped her tears with her nightie.

Cassy turned and hugged Bella. “Aww Bella, no one’s gonna die… We have to keep the faith, okay?” she said to give surety her friend.

Gerard smiled and nodded to Cassy, but inside he was thinking…

Image
HMW: What if nobody comes to save us?