Learn to Spell, God!

Tear Tracks

Jenn’s POV

I opened my eyes and peered over at the two bunks opposite. Sophie and Brian were curled up together in one, and Layla and Zacky in the other. If only I’d had the audacity to suggest that Jimmy and I should share a bunk. I rolled, literally, out of the bunk onto the floor before standing up and brushing myself down. I made my way towards the lounge area where I found Johnny and Jimmy already playing video games. I coughed loudly to tear their attention away from the video game, forgetting that I was still in my pyjamas. Acknowledging the cough, they both turned round and Jimmy’s mouth dropped open. I could feel myself beginning to blush, so I walked towards the kitchen area to fix myself a bowl of cereal. Cereal in hand, I returned to the lounge and placed myself on one of the couches, so I could watch their video game. Sporadically, people came and joined us in the lounge until we were all gathered there, except Layla. She had excused herself so she could go talk to her friend and, currently, she was sitting in the corner with her laptop balanced on her lap.

About five minutes after she excused herself, I heard sobs coming from the corner. I turned towards the sound, and saw Layla sitting there, tear tracks staining her face. Immediately, I got up off my seat and made my way over to her, with haste. She was staring at the screen, as if she could not believe what she was seeing. Sophie, Pippa, Danni and Zacky had followed me over here and proceeded to crowd around her. Zacky gently took her hand in his and asked her what was wrong. She didn’t reply. Instead, she stood up and walked off towards the bunks, Zacky following close behind, leaving her laptop here with us, all the applications still open. Our curiosity got the better of us, and we read the conversation that was up on the screen. She had been talking to Ali. He was her best friend, until he moved away last year. We’ve seen him once since then.

Love It or Die says: Hay!

Ali hh… says: Hi.

Love It or Die says: You feel like talking this time? How’re you?

Ali hh… says: Kk u.

Love It or Die says: I’m okay thanks.

Love It or Die says: Wow. What does it take to have a fucking conversation with you?

Ali hh… says: Chill out…

Love It or Die says: I'm sorry, but I've seen you once in the last year and you’re, like, one of my best friends and I miss you and you hardly ever talk.

Ali hh… says: Well... I’m busy with homework... trying to talk to one of my new best friends... who for some reason..... is crying.

Love It or Die says: You're always busy with homework?

Ali hh… says: Yea...we get tonnes....

Love It or Die says: Fine.

Love It or Die says: You don't seem to care anymore.

Ali hh… says: About....

Love It or Die says: The people you left behind.

Ali hh… says: Times change.... people change

Love It or Die says: Could you be anymore fucking harsh?

Ali hh… says: I now have two lots of friends to worry about... one lot I can relate a lot more too.

Love It or Die says: The lot you have now.

Love It or Die says: The other, you hardly ever acknowledge.

Ali hh… says: I see them more often.

Love It or Die says: You don't make an effort to see us!

Ali hh says: I never get time...

Love It or Die says: I don't know why I'm bothering.

Love It or Die says: Y'know, if we really are your friends, you'd find time in your oh-so busy schedule to actually come see us more than once a fucking year!

Ali hh… says: ..... Saturday... school, Sundays... relaxing... holidays... I’m always away

Love It or Die says: Goodbye Ali.

Sophie clasped a hand to her mouth, tears welling in her eye. She ran, up the stairs and to the bunk area where Layla was hiding. The three of us who remained couldn’t believe what we had just read. A series of very loud and graphic curses chorused from upstairs, most likely from Sophie. I glanced over at Danni, she had tears streaking down her face; she too had been close to Ali. Myself, I didn’t really know him very well, but I’d seen him around a few times. From the way I’d heard Layla, Danni and Sophie talk about him, he seemed like the kind of person who would be there for his friends, but I guess I was wrong.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brian walk up the stairs towards the bunk area. After a moment, he traipsed back down again. Obviously, what was going on in the bunk area was a very private matter.

I closed the windows and shut down the laptop. I couldn’t stand to look at that screen anymore. Betrayal of friendship is not a good thing. Danni, Pippa and I returned to the couches, and to four looks of sympathy, not what we needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry. I couldn't write anymore than that.
That conversation, it actually happened last night.
It's no laughing matter.
The humour will return with my next chapter, hopefully.
WORLD DOMINATION IS OURS!
WE LOVE YOU!
80 comments for a Sophie update?
Loveage and Skittles xxxx