We Are in a Mess

Danger Zone; Part One.

Bruce immediately forgot about his date and started spinning frantically, his eyes searching desperately for any hint of where she’d gone.

He caught a glimpse of what he thought was her red sweatshirt being pushed through the back door by a large and burly man. He ran for it, struggling through the crowd and thanking God that she had chosen to wear such a brightly colored outfit that night.

It took Bruce what seemed like ages to push through the mass of people between him and the door.

When he finally got to it, it was all he could do to hope he wasn’t too late.

He sorely wished he had his batsuit on. It was a ridiculous thought – but it was like a security blanket and somehow made him feel faster, stronger, and more confident that he could do the right thing.

As he pushed open the door, he didn’t know what he expected.

But he wasn’t expecting to see four men unconscious on the asphalt.

He especially wasn’t expecting to see Leah in the process of knocking out a six-foot tall man.

Bruce stopped in his tracks and stared unbelievingly at Leah. She wiped off her hands and turned, noticing that he was standing there.

“Close your mouth,” she ordered. “Don’t be so shocked, didn’t you know I was in the marines for five years?”

“That was amazing,” Bruce breathed.

Leah rolled her eyes, “Yeah, yeah. I’m amazing. I already knew that. Now I’m gonna go, I’d like to get home and ice all of these bruises.”

Bruce shook himself out of his awe, “Don’t you think that the last place you should be is at your apartment after what happened here?”

Leah just shrugged, “Stephan won’t try something twice in one night. He’ll let me rest and then try to get me again. He enjoys the chase too much.”

Bruce grimaced, “Fine, but at least let me give you a ride there.”

Leah sighed, “I really don’t need protection, Bruce.”

He placed his arm lightly on her shoulder in a friendly gesture.

“It will give me peace of mind. Please?”

Leah’s resistance faded at the sight of Bruce’s pleading face. Now who could say no to that?

They walked calmly back through the club to Bruce’s limo, ignoring everyone’s stares, especially Bruce’s date and Leah’s blonde and redhead friends.

They sighed almost simultaneously as they got into the secluded privacy of the car. They took one look at each other and laughed at the sheer incredulity of the situation they had gotten into.

Leah leaned heavily on Bruce’s shoulder, sighing for the umpteenth time that night.

“Tired?” Murmured Bruce.

Leah nodded faintly, “Been a long day.”

Leah’s head rose up and down, coinciding with the deep rumbles of Bruce’s chest as he laughed. His hand reached up to smooth her hair, and she slowly fell asleep.

Jolting awake as the limp stopped, Leah found herself in the same position; curled up practically on tip of Bruce’s torso.

Cheeks tinted pink, she meekly looked up to see Bruce looking down at her.

“Have a nice nap?” A smile appeared at the corner of his lips. Leah blushed even more.

“Thanks for the ride Bruce. Really,” she said softly.

Bruce smiled still, and she realized her hands were up against his chest and she instinctively licked her lips, which were coming ever closer to his.

Their lips barely brushed and Leah pulled back at the electricity that seemed to transfer between them.

“I...I should go,” Leah stuttered. She hurriedly left before she could embarrass herself any more, leaving Bruce wondering vaguely if he would ever understand women.

--

“I know what happened to Rachael had a big impact on you, but you have to move of. If not for yourself, Master Bruce, but for Rachael. She would have wanted to see you happy. You of all people should know that nobody can predict what will happen in the future.”

Bruce nodded pensively, but retorted, “I can’t loose someone like that again, Alfred. I’d break completely.”

“So it’s best you don’t form any bonds at all? I think you’re overestimating your will power, sir. Things like that are human nature, no one can help it. The strongest bonds are made involuntarily.”

Bruce sighed knowingly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two more chapters! Hope you liked this one. Comments and subscriptions very welcome.