Something Better

Chapter 29

Image
This is their bedroom.

Once Joe and I got to the top of the stairs, our bedroom was right there. There wasn’t even a hallway, it was like our bedroom had our own little floor. Along with a bathroom, of course.

Before I could start drooling over how amazing our bedroom looked, I walked over to the bed to let Joe pass so he wouldn’t suffer from the heavy luggage. Once he plopped them down on the bed, he let out a big sigh of relief.

I laughed at him. “Had enough lugging around for one day?”

He widened his eyed dramatically. “Definitely.” He wiped some pretend sweat off his forehead, then unzipped his suitcase and started shuffling through it.

I snorted at him. “Wimp.” Then I started unpacking my suitcase. I could practically hear Joe roll his eyes at me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Joe carry some clothes over to a small dresser on his side of the room. Wait, were we supposed to be sharing a dresser while here? Because if so, then this will definitely not work out. Joe and I both were the over-packers of the family, meaning we had nearly a month’s supply of clothing rather than just one week. Therefore making our suitcases very heavy and hard to carry.

I looked behind me, just to check and see of I had my own dresser too, and luckily there was one. It was the same exact one as Joe’s. I smiled as I went back to unpacking. The people who built this ship are pretty smart after all.

It was pretty quiet for the most part while we unpacked, but it wasn’t an awkward silence. It was more like, I’m-trying-to-unpack-right-now-so-leave-me-alone-and-we-can-talk-later kind of silence. Joe also stayed pretty quiet, so I’m guessing he’s off in his own little world, too. I bet he doesn’t talk to himself as much as I do, though. I talk to myself as if I was talking to my best friend. No wonder Joe never shuts up…

While I was turned away from Joe putting some clothes into the small dresser, I heard something tiny fall onto the floor. Almost like a packet of something. I looked on the floor to see if it was me that dropped something. But when I saw that nothing was on the floor on my side, I looked over at Joe, and froze.

Laying there on the floor, seeming to burn a whole in the carpet, was a little box of condoms. Seriously? Like… honestly? Right after we just lost a child, that douche bag still wants to have sex? What the hell is he thinking?! What did he really expect to happen on this trip? UGH! I want to shoot him SO badly right now!

“Joe.” I said quietly. I just stood there, staring at the demon box still burning a hole through the floor. It took every fiber in my body not to just jump on Joe right then and there, and not in the good way.

Without stopping what he was doing, Joe answered me, “Mm?”

I tried to answer Joe, to pick up those condoms off the floor and shove them in his face, yelling and asking him what the hell he was thinking bringing condoms on the trip. But I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even move my eyes to look away from the box. The shock was too much for me to handle, I guess.

Joe, realizing I wasn’t going to answer, turned around towards me and asked, “Did you call me?” His eyebrows formed a think line across his forehead.

“Yeah.” I said quietly.

Joe noticed my uneasiness and started walking towards me. “Is everything okay? Did you need something?” He asked, just as quietly as me.

I looked up at him with confusion and anger in my eyes, finally gaining some composure to move. I pointed to the demon box on the floor and glanced at it quickly before looking back up at Joe. “Joe, would you mind telling me what you were thinking bringing those here?” I asked as calmly as I could. I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it, but condoms aren’t really something you want to see right after losing a child. Am I right?

Joe, his eyebrows still in a think line, looked down to where I was pointing. His eyebrows went back to their normal state as realization hit him. He covered his face with both of his hands some incoherent things. All I could really get out of it was “kill,” “ass whole,” and “damn condoms.”

This wasn’t exactly helping me, since I didn’t know what he was saying. I wanted some answers for this! “Joe, honestly? Why on earth would you bring condoms on the trip? Did you actually think that we would so something after all that just happened?” I said as best as I could without yelling.

Joe took one hand and rested it on his hip while the other rubbed his forehead. He sighed before saying, “Look, I swear I did not mean to bring these with me. I didn’t even know they were in there. I…” He sighed and looked at me. “Alyssa, I would never try and ask you to have sex right after losing the baby. You know I wouldn’t.”

That still doesn’t explain why the freaking condoms are there buddy!

It was like he heard my thoughts, since he continued, “While I was packing for the trip back home, Nick came into my room to say good-bye since he was going out with some of his friends tonight and he wanted to wish me good luck before he left. And then, some time while he was in my room, he brought out the box of condoms and winked at me. He said, ‘I brought you these as a little present. I want to make sure you have some real fun with Alyssa on this trip.’ And then I was like, ‘Dude, seriously? We just lost a baby. I’m more than positive Alyssa’s not going to want to have sex while we’re there.’ And then he was like, ‘Yeah, but you’re going to propose to her. So she should get in the mood just from that.’ Then I said-“

I basically droned Joe out after that. Mostly because his little story was boring me to death, but… then he said how Nick said that he was going to propose to me…

SAY WHAT?!

I just… He can’t… How could… Did he…

Oh my goodness, now I’m actually stuttering inside my head. How completely lame is that?

Joe shook me from the little ramble taking place inside my head when he started walking towards me. He took both my hands in his and started rambling again. “Look, Alyssa, please don’t be mad at me. This really isn’t my fault. I completely understand why you wouldn’t want to have sex and I would never place you in a situation where you have to say “yes” or “no.” Please just… don’t be mad at me. You know I would never ask-“

I cut Joe off with a completely off topic question. “You’re going to propose to me?” It was sort of quiet, but it stopped his rambling nonetheless.

Joe looked at me with the most confused facial expression I have ever seen. Then, seconds later, his eyes became five times their normal size as realization hit him, and hard. “Ah, shit!” He yelled while closing his eyes and pulling out his hair. He kept mumbling “shit, shit, shit…” while pacing around the room and trying to pull his hair out.

“Ugh, I just had to mention that part.” He mumbled.

Now, I know what you’re probably thinking right now. ‘Oh, poor Joe. He just ruined the whole proposal thing.’ Yeah, no. Not for me. I’m practically souring right now. I hate surprises, and this has got to be the best thing ever for me. Now I know that he’s going to propose to me! It won’t be a surprise!! This is just like, so great! I know Joe is about ready to throw himself off this ship, but at least one of us is happy!

Wow, that sounded really mean…

So I’m standing there, with the goofiest smile on my face, while Joe is still pacing around the room cussing at himself. Kind of a funny situation, if you think about it.

“Look, Alyssa… I…” He tried to say. This is one of the most rare moments in life where Joe Jonas is actually speechless.

Then something dawned on me… Like a little light bulb suddenly went off inside my head. “Joe, you… You really want to marry me?” I asked slowly, making sure he processed every word I said before he just belted out an answer.

He stopped pacing and looked sheepishly at the ground. He stayed like that for a few seconds before he spoke. “Well… Yeah.” He said. Then he added quickly, “But I definitely was not expecting you to have sex with me. I wasn’t going to even ask. But stupid Nick just had to put the damn condoms in-“

I cut him off again. “Wait a minute… Nick was the one who put the condoms in your bag?” I just couldn’t believe it. Innocent little Nick? The only actual good Jonas who still hasn’t… Wait, never mind. He’s not a virgin, either. Oops, I guess I forgot.

Joe sighed and shook his head. “Yeah, I know. You wouldn’t believe how he talks now that he’s not a virgin anymore. He just makes it seem as if having sex is like taking a shower. Nice and simple, yet refreshing.” He shook his head again. “I don’t know what’s gotten into him.”

This was much more surprising news than before. “Wow, really? That’s crazy.”

“Yeah, I know. I think the whole break-up with Rachel really just got to his head. Kevin and I have tried multiple times to try and talk some sense into him, but he swears there’s nothing wrong with him. He thinks it’s perfectly fine with how he’s living his life.”

Joe and I just stood there, shaking our heads as we thought of Nick. Well, in all honesty, I was shaking my head because I still couldn’t believe Joe was going to propose to me. Like, that still hasn’t registered in my head yet. Joe was being the good brother and being worried about Nick, while I, on the other hand, was only thinking myself and Joe. How nice of me. Aren’t I such a good almost sister?

Joe must have sense the direction of my thoughts, because he said, “Look Alyssa, I’m really sorry for basically ruining the entire night. I was going to take you out tonight and propose to you there, but I just fucked it all up. I ruined everything. I’m really sorry.” He kept his gaze on the carpet.

“So?” I asked. I can’t believe he’s actually apologizing to me. What has he done to make him apologize? Being the best freaking boyfriend in the world? Oh yeah, that’s such a crime. He should be sent to jail for being so amazing.

If you didn’t get the huge amount of sarcasm up there, then you need to walk out your front door and get a life. And with that, I’m being dead serious.

“Dude, who the hell cares that you told me you were going to propose to me? I honestly could care less. Actually, I prefer you tell me since you know how much I hate surprises. So trust me when I tell you, I’m not the least bit upset. Now, what really matters, is the fact that you want to marry me. The very knowledge of knowing that you want to spend the rest of your life with me just about sends me over the edge. It just makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now.” I could feel the tears start to for in my eyes and my voice start to crack. I wanted to say more, but I decided to shut my mouth since my voice was sounded like a drunken mouse. I hate that. Then whoever you’re talking to can never take you seriously since you sound completely ridiculous. I know, because my friends have talked to me like that. I feel bad because they’re going through a hard time and I can’t keep a straight face. So, as you can tell, I’m not exactly the best listener, unless you’re not crying. Then I’ll sit and listen to you.

Joe’s face immediately brightened from his sorrow expression earlier. A smile slowly made its way onto his lips. “You… So, you’re not mad at me?” He asked quietly.

He was so adorable. I rolled my eyes and made a “pfft” sound. “No, Joe. I lied. I’m furious at you. I never want to see your face again. What do you think?” Okay, maybe that was a little harsh, but he did ask a stupid question. And stupid questions call for stupid answers.

Joe chuckled. “Well soooooory! I was just… I was worried that maybe you wouldn’t say yes since it wasn’t exactly a romantic type of proposal. I just kind of blurted it out not even knowing. I wanted to make you feel special when I proposed.”

There was some thumping in the room next to ours. Doors were being slammed, and other noises that were very annoying. Jeez… rich people can be pretty annoying. They think they can just go and make any kind of noise they want, like they are the only people on this ship. I feel sorry for them. They have to be next to my room. Trust me, if they get the slightest bit noisy when I need some quiet, I will be more than happy to go knock on their door and be a bitch about it. They are so screwed with me around.

Anyway, I stepped closer to Joe and wrapped my arms around his neck. “Joe, trust me on this one. I’m a bitch. If I was mad at you, you would know. And come one, you know me. I’m not one for anything too romantic. I’m perfectly fine with you proposing to me at home. You didn’t have to get us a trip on a cruise. All you have to do is tell me you love me, and that makes me feel like I’m on top of the world.” I said.

Seriously, I don’t know why he goes all out with this stuff. All he had to do was throw me a ring and be like, “Hey, wanna get married?” That’s perfectly fine with me.

“Well, I still would like to propose to you the right way. I just think it’s better if we pretend this never happened, and you at least act surprised when I ask you.” Joe told me.

“Why? Can’t I just say yes right now and be done with it?” I asked, trying to annoy him. Of course I don’t mind him asking me in a romantic way. I think it would be pretty cool to be the only one I know to actually know when my boyfriend is going to propose to me. How cool is that?! But I just like getting on his nerves.

Joe’s eyebrows rose. “Because it would be more romantic that way. Just because you already know doesn’t mean that I still can’t-“ Joe stopped right there and squinted his eyes. “Wait, so are you saying that you’re going to say yes?” He had a smirk on his lips.

I sighed. “Well, I would keep it a secret until the actual thing, but you already told me that you’re going to propose, so I’ll be nice. Yes. I will marry you.” I said, the same smirk on my lips. In that same moment, Joe yelled and spun me around in his arms. I laughed, happy that I could make Joe so ecstatic.

He finally put me down and shook me from side to side while hugging me tight. “I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you.” He said over and over again in my neck.

I kept on laughing at his childishness. He can be so cute sometimes. If only he knew hoe to control it and be mature at certain times in life. There’s only so much immaturity you can take before you finally scream, “JUST GROW THE FUCK UP ALREADY!” But I can’t really scream at Joe. I think I love him too much. Either that, or whenever he looks me in the eyes all I can really think about is how gorgeous they look. I kind of forget where I am whenever that happens.

“I love you too, you dork.” I said. Joe laughed along with me.

He pulled away from our tight embrace and looked me lovingly in the eyes. He then quickly pecked my lips. “Come on. Let’s go get ready for our reservation.” He said.

“Damn. You have to have reservations even on a ship?” I asked.

Joe laughed. “It’s one of the nicest places to eat on this ship, and there are a lot of people here.”

I sighed. “Whatever. Stupid people and their stupid reservations.”

Joe and I laughed again and went our separate ways to go get ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay.
This chapter sucks. But, I did write it when I was sick. And I'm still sick. Blah...
THE NEXT CHAPTER IS THE LAST CHAPTER PEOPLE!!! And no, there will not be a sequel. This is it. The final ending to it all.
Even though this one sucks, the next chapter will be awesome I promise!!! And something you're not expecting is coming up!!! You'll all probably hate me, but it sounded cool.
Comment please!! It helps me update sooner!!