Can't Have You

Chapter Nine. The Letter.

Image

Joe's POV

I barely slept that night. I felt so horrible about what I did. How could I forget my best friends birthday? I wouldn't blame her if she hated me. I didn't know how I was supposed to make things right again. But I was going to try. It was only 6:30, but I couldn't wait any longer. I was going to go talk to her.

I walked down the hallway to her room, nervousness taking over my body. When I finally reached her door, I was almost afraid to knock. But I did. There was no answer. I tried again, and again and again. But she didn't open her door. I decided to go get the spare key from my mom.

After I slid the key in the lock, and opened the door, my jaw hit the floor in schock. She wasn't there. No one was there. All her stuff was gone. I looked around the room, trying to find some evidence that she didn't really leave. But all I found was an envelope. An envelope with my name on it, written in that beautiful handwriting of hers. I sat myself down on the bed, and started reading.

My dearest Joseph,

I'm terribly sorry about leaving without saying goodbye. It would just be to hard. After that day we spent at the zoo, I thought you understood how I was feeling. I told you that if you hurt me again, I would go home. And you promised me you wouldn't. But you did. I know you didn't do it intentionally, but you still did it. You were so consumed with everything else going on in your life that you didn't have time for me anymore. You couldn't even remember my birthday. That's why I had to leave. And I hope you can understand that.

I'm not angry with you Joe. I'm just sad. And I know it will be hard leaving you. But it's something I need to do. Staying on this tour wouldn't be fair to myself. I will miss you. I just want you to know that I love you, and I always will. But the thing is, I love you as more than a friend. I'm in love with you. I have been since your 16th birthday. I never told you, because I knew you didn't love me back. I just want to tell you know, bacause I hope this will make you understand my decision more. Everytime I see you and Lily together, it breaks my heart. I remember when I used to be the most important girl in the world the world, but now she is. She's the one who gets to hold you, she's the one who gets to kiss you. She's the one who gets to love you. And she's the one you love. And it kills me. It kills me, because everytime you look at her, I realize you will never look at me like that. I'm just your friend, nothing more. But I can't do that anymore. I need to get over you. And I can't do that, when I have to see you everyday. I need to figure this out on my own. So, please, don't try to call me, or write me, or anything. I need to get over you, and while I'm doing that, you can't be in my life. I'm sorry.

Goodbye Joe. Give my love to your family, and tell them I'm sorry.

Love, always,
Melanie


By the time I finished reading the letter I was crying. I never knew how she felt about me. I must have hurt her so much. I lost my best friend. I didn't know what to do. I just broke down on the floor crying.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's a very short chapter, but well..
Only two more chapters! I'll post the next one tomorrow, when I come home from school, and the last one the day after.
Keep commenting! XD