Can't Have You

Chapter Eight. Happy Birthday.

Image

Melanie's POV

I woke up with a smile on my face. My 18th birthday had finally arived. I looked at my clock. 11:15. That was weird. Normally on my birthday Joe would make me breakfast and wake me up. Now that I thought about it, I didn't get my annual midnight happy birthday-text either. Oh well, I would see him soon enough. I got out of bed, and went in the bathroom to get dressed. It was going to be a great day.

I decided I would go to Joe's room, to see what he was up to. I knocked on the door, but there was no answer. I thought he might still be asleep, so I knocked again. Still nothing. I figured he must have been in Nick and Kevin's room, so that was my next stop.

"Hey guys." I said smiling, after Kevin opened his door and let me in. "Melanie! Happy birthday" Kevin said, hugging me. "Happy birthday, Mel" Nick said. He gave me a hug as well. I looked around the room. Joe wasn't there. "Uhm.. have you guys seen Joe?" I asked. "No, not since this morning." Nick said. "We thought he would be with you?" "No, I haven't seen him yet today." I said, dissapointed. Kevin must have noticed, because he tried to make me feel better. "Maybe he's planning something for your birthday?" he said. Yeah, that sounds like something Joe would do. I figured I would just hang out with Kevin and Nick untill Joe showed up.

We went to get lunch in the hotel restaurant. Kevin and Nick ordered me a big, chocolate birthday cake. Haha, Joe would be so jealous! Speaking of Joe, where the hell is he? My thoughts were interupted when Kevin announced it was time for me to open presents. I opened Kevin's present first. It was a book. The sisterhood of the travelling pants. "Thank you, Kevin." I said. Next it was time for Nick's present. He got me a movie. Guess which one. The sisterhood of the travelling pants. "I figured in case you were too lazy to read the book, you could just watch the movie." He said. I chuckled. "Thanks Nick."

We got back to the hotel room, and since we had nothing better to do, we decided to watch the movie. By the time it ended I realized I still hadn't seen Joe. I looked at my watch. It was five o'clock already. I sighed sadly. "Do you think he forgot?" I said softly. "No." they both said at the same time. "I mean, there's no way Joe could forget your birthday, you're his best friend." Nick said. "Yeah. You're right. He couldn't have forgotten." I said, trying to convince myself.

I stayed with Kevin and Nick 'till 11. There was still no sign of Joe. I went back to my room, and as soon as I got there, I started crying. I fell to the floor and cried untill I didn't have any tears left. How could he do this to me? How could he?

-

Joe's POV

I came back from a day out with Lily. It was a really nice day for us. Things had been a bit weird lately, but I had a feeling they were going to get better soon. When I came back to my room, I was surprised to see Nick and Kevin in my room. But I was even more surprised seeing the expressions on their faces. They looked pissed. Like they just wanted to beat the crap out of me.

"Uhm, hey guys." I said. "What's up?" "What's up? What's up?" Nick said, raising his voice. "Where the hell were you all day?" "I was with Lily." I said, not getting why Nick was so mad. "WITH LILY?" Kevin yelled. He seemed even more mad than Nick. "Joseph, do you even know what day it is today?" I didn't know what he was getting at. "I think it's monday?" I said. "No, Joe. What's the date?" I thought for a second.. "Uhm.. it's.." what date was it? And then it hit me. "OH SHIT! Oh no!" I cried. "Was she mad? Oh my god, she's gonna kill me. Oh my god. Why didn't you tell me? She's never gonna forgive me for this. Oh man. This is bad. This is really bad. What am I gonna do?" I said, pacing around the room.

I ran out of my room to Melanie's door. I knocked, but she didn't answer. I knocked again. I could hear feet coming to the door. She opened it. She didn't look angry. She looked hurt. And I caused it. She looked like she had been crying for hours, all because of me. I felt the tears come to my eyes, seeing how much I had hurt her. "Melanie." I whispered, not sure what to say. Suddenly, her eyes turned to stone. "Go away." She said, and she slammed the door in my face. "Melanie, please. Please talk to me." I asked her through a closed door. "No! I don't want to talk to you! I don't wanna hear it. You forgot my birthday Joe!" I heard her sob through the door. All I wanted to do was get in there and hold her in my arms. "Just leave me alone." "Mel-" I started, but she cut me off. "LEAVE JOE! Just leave. I don't want to hear it." I decided it would be best to let her cool off, and come back to talk to her in the morning. I'm such a screw up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! A new chapter. It's not a happy chapter though :(
Btw, I just realized that it's very unrealistic that I never include the boys parents or Frankie. But I did mention Mrs. Jonas in chapter 4 :P The rest of the family is there, they're just off-screen XD
We're nearing the end of the story. Probably two more chapters, maybe three? I don't know.
Anyways, thank you all for reading, commenting and subscribing! It means a lot to me.