Alone

Two

Waking up in his own bed made Nick smile. He hadn’t been home in so long he’d almost forgotten what it felt like.

Looking over at his alarm clock he was shocked to see that it was after one in the afternoon.

Smiling anyway, he jumped out of bed and made his way into the bathroom. After a nice, long hot shower he dressed and made his way downstairs.

Walking into the kitchen he saw that Frankie was the only person there. He was sitting at the island, watching tv and getting a bowl of cereal.

Nick laughed at his little brother.

“Hey Frank, whatcha doing?” He asked.

Not even looking away from the tv he answered.

“Watching cartoons,” He stated.

At almost ten years old, Nick couldn’t believe how grown up Frankie acted. It was a relief to see him acting his age for once.

Grabbing a diet soda from the fridge, he sat down beside his little bro and started watching cartoons with him.

It was the sound of the front door slamming that pulled Nick’s attention away from the tv. Frankie flinched when the yelling started.

“Go on up to your room, ok Frank.” It was not a question. Nick meant it.

Not waiting to be told another time, Frankie practically ran from the kitchen. Nick, however, stayed seated.

Seconds later, his older brother Joe walked in. Nick could tell from the look on his face that something was wrong.

“Hey, Joe. What’s with the door slamming?” He asked.

Joe stopped and looked at Nick.

“How long have you been up?” He asked.

“Uh, like half an hour. Why?”

“Have you seen anyone?”

“Frankie was here, but I sent him to his room when I heard yelling.”

Joe sighed and sat down beside of Nick.

“Haven’t you noticed something is missing?” Joe asked.

“Well, seeing as I haven’t been anywhere besides right here, I’m gonna have to say no. Listen man, you’re confusing the heck outta me. Just tell me what’s going on.”

“He’s gone, bro. Kevin’s gone.”

It felt like someone had just dropped a fifty ton weight on his chest. Turning to Joe, Nick spoke.

“What….what are you talking about? Gone?” He asked, his breath hitching in his chest.

“Dude, I woke up way to damn early this morning and looked over at Kev’s bed. It looked like it hadn’t been slept in. I came downstairs to see if he had maybe slept down here.”

“Did he?” Nick asked.

“No. I checked every room in this house. He wasn’t here. About the time I was going to knock on Mom and Dad’s door to tell them Kevin was missing, Mom came out. I asked if she knew where Kevin was.”

Joe took a deep breath before he went on.

“She told me he’d left and wasn’t coming back. I laughed. I thought she was joking but then I saw the look on her face. I knew she was serious. So I asked her why.”

Nick interrupted.

“What’d she say? Where’s Kevin?” He asked, panic in his voice.

“She doesn’t know. Nick, you should have seen the look on her face when she told me it was about time he’d left. She said we didn’t need him around, influencing us with his “un-Godly” ways.” Joe scowled.

“What?” Was all Nick could say.

“She told me that he left last night. They have no clue where he is or even if he’s ok.”

Nick jumped from his seat and reached for the phone.

“Its no use. I already tried his cell. It says its been disconnected.”

Nick dropped the phone. Turning to face Joe, he spoke.

“What’s going on?” It came out as barely a whisper.

“I have no idea, baby J.” At hearing his nickname, the one Kevin had given him, Nick felt tears start to form in his eyes.

At seeing his brother’s tears, Joe got up and pulled his brother into a hug.

“Its going to be ok. We’re gonna figure out what happened and just where Kevin is.”

Nick honestly didn’t know what he’d do without Joe right now. True he was close to all three of his brothers, but Joe was the one he could tell his secrets too. The one he could talk to when no one else would understand.

Neither had noticed that Frankie had walked back into the room.

“Guys.” He said, grabbing both Nick and Joe’s attention.

Before either brother could say anything, Frankie spoke again.

“I know what happened to Kevin.” He said.

Nick and Joe were both stunned.

“Frank, what are you talking about? You know where Kevin is?” Joe asked.

He shook his head ‘no’. This time Nick spoke.

“Then what are you talking about?” He asked, wiping away a few stray tears.

Looking around, Frankie spoke again.

“Not here. Come up to my room.” He said before walking away.

Nick and Joe looked at each other.

“When did he grow up?” Joe asked causing Nick to smile.

Following their littlest bro up the stairs, they made their way into his room.

Before either could say anything, Frankie spoke.

“Mom and Dad kicked Kevin out last night.”

“We kinda know that, Frank. What we need to find out is why.” Joe stated.

“They found out his secret.”

Frankie had just stunned his brothers into silence.

“Frank, what are you talking about?” Nick asked.

“I don’t know exactly what it means, but I heard them yelling at him last night. Dad called him a, well…I don’t know what it meant.”

“Its ok Frankie, just tell us the word and we’ll try and figure it out.”

Frankie thought for a minute before speaking.

“He called him a queer.” Frankie finally said.

Joe had been expecting anything, anything except what Frankie had just said.

“Frank, are you sure that’s what he said? Maybe you’re mixing up the words or something.” Joe tried.

“No. I heard him. They were yelling at him and he was trying not to cry. I could see the tears in his eyes. Dad called him a ‘dirty queer’ who they no longer considered their son.”

“No.” Was all Nick said. Feeling weak, he sat down on the bed.

Not paying attention to what Joe and Frankie were saying anymore, Nick was lost in his thoughts.

Joe was the only person who knew Nick’s secret. He’d been afraid to tell Kevin. Afraid he’d hate him for it. He knew there was no way he could ever tell his parents. He knew they’d hate him. Seems he was right.

Nick’s secret…he was gay. But not just gay. He was in love with his older brother. That was the main reason he never told Kevin. He honestly thought he’d never understand and would end up hating him. It just wasn’t something Nick was willing to risk.

Jumping up from Frankie’s bed, Nick took off down the stairs.

Before Joe could stop him he heard the yelling.

“MOM! DAD! Where are You?”

“Oh God.” Joe knew nothing good could come of this.

Turning back to Frankie, Joe spoke.

“Listen Frank, I need you to stay in here. Lock your door. No matter what you hear, do not leave your room. Understood?” Joe waited for his little brother to answer.

“Yeah. I understand.” He said. Joe nodded and walked out.

Before he closed the door, Frankie’s voice stopped him.

“Wait, Joe.”

“Yeah, Frank?”

“Is it wrong to love Kevin?” He asked. Joe gasped.

“No, no Frankie. Kevin is our brother and we all love him. No matter what, I want you to love him forever, ok?”

“Ok. Joe?”

“Yes, Frankie?” Joe kept looking towards the door, knowing he needed to catch up to Nick.

“Is it wrong for Kevin to love us?” He asked.

“Frankie, no. I don’t care what you heard Mom or Dad day, Kevin is still our brother and we love him just like he still loves us.”

Joe made to leave the room one more time but Frankie stopped him.

“What does it mean when you are in love with someone?” He asked, stopping Joe dead in his tracks.

“What?”

“Kevin. Before he left, he went into your and Nick’s room. I know I shouldn’t have followed but I wanted to see if he was ok. He kissed you on your head and said that he would miss you.” At hearing this, Joe’s eyes started to water.

“Then he moved to Nick. Only this time, he kissed Nick on the lips. He said he was sorry and that he loved him and would always love him. Then he started crying again and left. I tried to catch him but he was too fast.”

Joe was shocked.

“Frankie, are you sure that’s what you saw?”

“Yes.”

“Oh God. Listen, bro, I’ve gotta go. Just stay here, ok?” Joe walked out and closed the door.

At hearing the lock click on the door, he took off after Nick.

By the time he found his brother, Nick had already found their parents.

“…do you mean? Why would you do that?” He yelled at his Mother.

“We did it for you and your brothers sake. You didn’t need someone like him around you.”

“He’s our brother and your son….” At this point, Kevin Sr. jumped in.

“No! He is no son of ours. He lost that right a long time ago.”

Nick turned to face his father.

“So that gives you the right to just toss him out, not knowing where he is or if he’s ok? How could you do that to him?”

“Listen, Nicholas, you had better get used to not having him around. He’s 22 years old now anyway, its past time for him to move out and make something of himself on his own.”

Looking between his Mother and Father, Nick spoke again.

“How long have you known he was gay?” He asked, dead serious.

Narrowing her eyes, Denise spoke.

“Almost a year.”

“And you choose now to kick him out! Why now?”

“Because we’d had enough of him. We saw the way he looked at you and your brothers. It was disgusting!” Before his father could continue, Joe made his presents known.

“You’ve both lost it, haven’t you?” Joe asked.

Narrowing his eyes, Kevin Sr. turned on Joe.

“How dare you speak to us like that! We are you parents and we deserve respect!” Their father yelled.

Nick stepped up.

“No! You lost the right to respect when you kicked your son out. Respect has to be earned not demanded! You taught us that.”

Without warning, Denise stepped up to Nick and slapped him right across his face. It was so unexpected that it made Nick stumble backwards falling onto the floor.

Looking up at his mother, Nick had tears in his eyes. Joe stepped between Nick and their mother.

“How dare you!” He literally screamed in her face. “Nick is your son! Kevin is your son! Just because they do something you don’t like, you think you have the right to treat them this way! What happened to you guys?”

Turning around, Joe reached down to help Nick stand. His tears were falling freely now.

“Why?” He asked. “Why would you hit me?”

“Because you needed it. You need to learn now that life doesn’t always go the way you want it. Your father and I have busted our asses your whole life to give you everything you wanted. None of you deserve it.” The venom in her voice was horrible.

“You…you busted your ass!? Are you kidding me?” Joe screamed. “Everything that we have, we earned. Nick, myself and Kevin! I didn’t see either of you out on that stage every night for four years, singing your hearts out. What did you do? You stood backstage and ended up with all the perks.

“Everything we have, we deserve. We worked hard for it! How dare you stand there and act like its all of your hard work that got us here. You didn’t even want us to pursue a music career. Oh no, that was only for little Nicky. He was the only know good enough in your eyes and this is how you repay him. By slapping him!

“This ends now. I’m 20 years old and legally, I’m finished with both of you.”

That was something else neither Jonas parent knew. Not only did Kevin have his own separate bank accounts, but so did Joe. And Nick as well. It was something Big Rob had helped them all set up. The only stipulation being no one could know about them. Not their parents and not each other.

“I’m going up to my room and packing. I’m done with this family. You both think we should owe you. I hate to break it to you, but you both owe us. We’d still be living in that small ass house in Jersey if it wasn’t for the three of us.” Joe spat in their faces.

Turning to Nick, Joe spoke.

“Go pack. We’re leaving.”

Kevin Sr. interrupted.

“You can’t take Nick, he isn’t 18 yet.” He smirked at his sons.

“Try and stop me and I’ll take this to the press so fast your heads will spin.” He dared them.

His smirk dropped.

“Go Nicky. Pack whatever you can. We’ll buy whatever else we need.”

Not waiting to hear from his parents, Nick turned and ran up to his room.

Looking at his parents one more time, Joe spoke.

“I can’t do anything about Frankie right now, but so help me God, I will find a way to get him away from you both.”

“How? You may have a celebrity status but you have no money, no power.” His mothers voice was cold as ice.

“That’s where you’re wrong.” This time Joe smirked.

Scowling, his father spoke up.

“And just what is that supposed to mean?” He demanded.

“You don’t need to worry yourself with that now. Just know that Frankie will be coming with us. Maybe not today but soon. He deserves to be with his brothers who love him.”

With that said, Joe turned and walked away. The sounds of his parents arguing in the background.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: I thought this was a good place to stop. Comments are love!