Sequel: Exposed In Lights

Secrets Are Hard To Keep

Interesting?

When I left the house earlier my mother was on the phone to Denise againtrying to finalise and confirm my trip to New Jersey with them tomorrow. She was very nervous about it because she’d only met them once and could see I was as nervous as she was. Meeting your boyfriends close family was hard enough, but when he hasn’t seen most of his family for over half a year to show up with a girlfriend on his side is going to make things uncomfortable.

And this girlfriend happened to be famous.

Nick had warned me his cousins, Jessica and Emily from his Mother’s sister called Catherine, liked me a lot and he told me that his Uncle Jack’s son, Ben, liked me a bit too much but all the others hadn’t been that bothered about me or that’s what Nick told me. But my imagination always ran away with me.

“Julia, your car is out front get your ass moving!” My Dad shouted up the stairs. I rolled my eyes and pulled on my purple long sleeved shirt with a scoop neck. I zipped up my knee length boots over my black skinny jeans and threw my brown back over my shoulder.

I ran down the stairs at a fast pace and saw that thankfully Brooklyn was ready dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a blue button shirt. “Get your coat on.” I told Brooklyn and my Dad quickly put one on him.

The ride over to the venue was annoying, Brooklyn never shut up by my security guard Dean kept him talking. We pulled up around the back of the venue where security was holding back the paparazzi. I grabbed Brooklyn’s hand and led him straight into the venue flashing the cameras a smile quickly.

As we stepped through the door I spotted Nick waiting for me in the corridor. He let a smile grace across his beautiful face as he cleared the distance between us.

“Brooklyn, my man.” They banged their fists together and high-fived, “Frankie’s in our dressing room just down this corridor on the right.” I watched him run down the corridor and into the door.

“Hey.” I smirked throwing my arms around Nick’s neck. He rested his forehead on mine and went at a painfully slow speed towards my lips. I let my impatience get the better of me and I stretched up on my tip toes to attach my lips to his. His lips, so soft against mine, were like his gentle touch of silk on skin only more potent. I smiled against his lips and he smiled back, I felt the muscles in his arm tighten around my back and he lifted me up off the ground and spun me around.

When he placed me back on the floor and dethatched his lips from mine, I pouted. I could happily kiss him forever. “Impressive.” I noted, referring to his spinning and kissing.

He took my hand in his and laced his fingers with mine. “I thought so.”

“You’re very cocky today.” I commented and he pushed me, “Hey! Don’t be angry because I’m observant.”

“Observant… sure.” I scowled up at him and shoved him back. I sighed as he barely stumbled, “You have no muscles in your arms!” I lifted my up arm and let it drop back to my side.

“You’re so critical of me.” I gasped but I couldn’t help smiling. I pushed open the dressing room door and took in what was happening.

Brooklyn and Frankie were playing hacky sack in the far corner on the door. Kevin was on his Blackberry and Joe was playing an unfamiliar tune on the guitar. I smiled in his direction. It was rare to see Joe to play the guitar in front of people; he preferred to do it in private.

“I like that.” I told Joe. Almost as if a reflex reaction I began to hum along where the lyrics would go in my mind. “It’s very reggae.” I walked over and sat down next to him and Nick sat on the floor at my feet with another acoustic guitar.

They began playing together and the tune was very upbeat but relaxing in the same. It sounded like a summer song that would play in your garden as you soaked up the sun. “Want to improvise some lyrics?” Joe suggested and Nick and I nodded in reply.

“I’ve been all around the world I’ve been a new sensation, but it doesn’t really matter in this ge-generation. The sophomore slump is an uphill battle and someone say that’s a weird scene.” Joe sung and I quickly sung my input.

“'Cause they need a new song like a new religion. Music for the television. I can't do the long division. Someone do the math.” I sung in an octave higher then looked down to Nick.

“For the record label puts me on the shelf up in the freezer. Got to find another way to live the life of leisure.” Nick’s voice was very distracting, he never did sing that much in front of me. These Jonas boys were very self conscious.

“So I drop my top. Mix and I mingle. Is everybody ready for the single and it goes...” Kevin sang then we stopped.

* * *

“So we’re changing that line.” I pointed on the piece of paper with my pen, “To ‘and someone said that ain’t my scene.’”

“That’s a great song kids.” Paul complimented and we all beamed up at him.

“Julia wrote most of it.” I blushed and shoved Joe. “You did!”

“Julia, are you still going on stage tonight for ‘I am what I am’ and then after that ‘On the line’?” Paul asked typing on his Blackberry.

“Yes she is!” Brooklyn shouted, distracting himself from his game and therefore suffering the consequences. Frankie took the lead now, “No!” He exclaimed and furiously shoved buttons in on his control pad.

“Julia, will you do me the biggest favor ever?” Denise asked and as soon as she did I knew I’d do it, it was Denise. She was the kind of person no one said no to.

“Yep.” I answered and she smiled.

“Go and get Garbo and Matt please?”

They were on stage, I could tell her that for nothing but she wanted me to ‘go and get them’ meaning I had to go and retrieve them. I gulped but kept on my brave face. Pulling on my black and white stripped jumper which clung onto my body nicely I stood up gracefully. I gave Nick and reassuring smile because he looked at bit nervous, he forced a smile back and Big Rob followed me out.

“Thanks man.” Nick shouted and Big Rob saluted him.

I rolled my eyes as I walked down the corridor, my heels clicking on the floor loudly. “He’s just worried about you.” Big Rob told me and I nodded.

“I know.” I smiled up at him and he threw me over his shoulder. I didn’t complain, I was used to being treated like a rag doll. In my old school I was always being thrown over people’s shoulders and tossed about, it was how things worked in Hartlepool. “You better not fart.” I warned him and he let out a booming laugh.

“You make me laugh little one.” I smirked but quickly clung onto his shoulders as he placed me back on my feet.

I peered around the curtain at the side of the stage to the half full venue, girls were chatting excitedly and some were singing along to the music chosen by Frankie earlier. The longer I put it off the more full it would become. I took in a gulp of air and spotted Garbo and Matt talking on the riser for the band.

I strutted quickly across the stage earning quiet gasps from people who recognised who I was. “Hey, we need you guys for lockdown.” I shouted over the rising volume as people started to shout up to me on the stage.

“Thanks.” They jumped down to my level and walked off the stage quickly. I stood for a second before realising they’d left me alone.

My name was being called in unison with the occasional odd one out. I was hesitant to turn around and when I did my breath hitched in my throat. “JULIA COME DOWN!” I heard one girl scream.

I glanced to the side of the stage and ushered Big Rob forward he went down off the stage and stood at the barriers. He lifted me down onto the floor and handed me a red sharpie from his back pocket.

Girls held out their arms for me to sign and I realised something. I had never given anyone my autograph. I quickly made on up as just my name is a heart connected to the ‘a’ and smiled for the cameras which were now recording and taking pictures of me.

“Julia are you going on stage tonight?” A girl asked as I signed the arms and papers around her.

“Nope, I’m just watching.” I lied smoothly and smiled for a picture.

“Big Rob, we need you and Julia back for lockdown.” Paul’s voice came over Rob’s walkie on his shoulder.

“Shit!” I shouted as someone pulled me forward. Big Rob pulled me away swiftly and I tried to regain balance.

“Rob is something up?” I froze at the voice as everyone screamed.

I watched Big Rob grab the radio from his shoulder. “OH MY GOD, THAT WAS NICK.” I let out a breath I didn’t realise I was holding in once I realised he was on the talkie.

“Is Julia hurt?” Nick’s voice became more frantic and everyone was suddenly more alert. I realised that this was a dead give away about everything. Girls were staring at me oddly, some smiling, some confused.

I snatched the walkie from Big Rob and spoke quickly, “No, I’m good just signing things for people but it’s getting a bit out of control.” People were screaming ‘I love you’ from every direction.

I only just caught Nick saying, “Okay, hurry back.” As Rob pulled me up onto the stage and rushed me back to the dressing room.

“They’re going to kill me.” Big Rob sighed.

“They won’t.” I reassured him and he smiled down at me. When we walked into the dressing room the door was locked behind me and I smiled at everyone in the room. I could hear the band warming up their vocals in the bathroom so I sat down on the sofa next alone and gazed pointlessly at the TV which wasn’t even on.

“Interesting?” I snapped out of my daze and locked eyes with Denise Jonas. “You know...” She sat down next to me and put a hand on my knee, “I haven’t ever seen Nicholas this happy. He really cares for you, so much it scares me sometimes.”

I wasn’t embarrassed, more flattered. But I’d forgotten how observant Denise was, she saw a lot more than others did and analysed a lot of things too. “I care for him too.” I said quietly and she smiled and nodded in agreement.

“I know you do. Nick seems a bit obsessive about you though, he’s always worrying where you are and what you’re doing. Sometimes I just want to say calm down Nick!” I giggled at her because she said it in the exact voice I imagined. “He’s very nervous about you meeting the family. He knows how judgemental his cousin can be, but Emily will love you I just know it.”

Denise’s words were reassuring. I had no doubt she knew more about the Jonas family than Nick did, she was probably an expert. “I hope so.” I gave Denise a small smile and she tucked a piece of hair back into my pony tail. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome, now we have a show to do!” I laughed at her enthusiasm as she pulled me up from my seat.