Show Me The Light In This Dark World

Chapter Four

2/5/05
A new month. Meaning what? Nothing as far as I'm concerned.

My life goes on.

And still I don't talk.

3/5/05
Last night was weird. Weirder than normal. The customer walked into my room, and tried to talk to me. He came in and greeted me, no one ever does that. I said nothing and let him do what he had come to do. Again, it was different. He was kinder than the others, it was like he almost…cared.

Cared.

About me.

No one does.

Later
The man from last night came back. But he had a friend with him, and his friend didn't look happy. From the shouting in the corridor I worked out one was called Nick and the other was Alex. Alex was the one from last night. Nick started yelling at Alex, telling him to say sorry to me for what he had done. He said something about it being "degrading" to women, whatever that means. Alex looked at me and said he was sorry.

He actually said it.

No one has ever said that to me.

But he did. And then he told Nick I was called Anya and Nick said I could probably speak for myself. I looked away at that. I haven't spoken for a while and why should I? It's never been my place.

Until that moment.

Nick and Alex offered to take me out for a bit, something to do with showing Alex was really sorry. They refused to take no for an answer and took me out anyway, despite the shouts of Daniel.

They took me to a place for some food and began telling me about themselves. They didn't seem to mind that I didn't say anything. They just talked about themselves, I think they may have been trying to make me feel comfortable, which I did. And it was nice. Nice not to feel excluded, nice to be respected, nice to have someone talk to me like I'm human. They're not much older than me. Alex is 18 and Nick is 19. Alex is an artist, Nick likes taking photos.
I didn't want to leave, but I had to.

I guess I won't see them again.