Losing the Feeling of Feeling Unique

Seven

RUBY’S POV

We walked into the park, our hands still laced together. I was a surprisingly nice day out in London, it was fairly warm with a slight breeze, as we strolled through the park nothing much was said. Although I’d only known Jon less than a week, the silence between us was one of the most comfortable I’d ever encountered.

After walking for a minute, we saw a teenager approaching us, she looked around 18 or 19 and she had her eyes on Jon, like she knew him, but she was slightly embarrassed.

‘Excuse me?’ she said rather quietly.

‘Hey’ Jon said a smile present on his face.

‘I don’t mean to interrupt, but can I have a picture please?’

‘With me?’ Jon asked surprised.

‘Yeah’ she grinned ‘You inspired me to start playing the bass’

‘Really?’ Jon asked, his grin now matching that of the girl. ‘That’s awesome’

The girl got out her camera and I said ‘Do you want me to take the picture?’

‘Yes please. My name’s Lucy by the way’ she said handing me the camera. I took the picture and the camera back to her.

‘Thank you so much’ she said giving Jon a quick hug before rushing off.

‘There’s something new. People usually go crazy for Bren and Ry, not me’

‘They should go crazy for you, you’re the best one. Mr Rock Star.’ I said poking him in the side which caused him to laugh.

He suddenly remembered himself and then checked his watch. ‘Come on Ruby’ he grabbed my hand and started running.

‘Where are we going Jonny?’ I asked, slightly out of breath from the sudden physical activity.

‘Oh you’ll see’ he said a devious grin on his face. We continued running, as we got deeper into the park, there seemed to be more and more people around. As we slowed to a halt I saw a big screen planted in the middle of a large patch of grass. Jon rooted around in his pocket and retrieved two tickets and handed them to a bouncer type guy, who then let us through.

‘What are we doing Jon?’

‘We are going to watch a film’ he smiled triumphantly, I smiled remembering that it was one of the London Film Festival events.

‘That’s so awesome!’ I grinned as he led me over to a tree which had a blanket underneath it. He sat down and motioned for e to do the same. I sat down between his legs and leant my back against his chest.

As the opening credits for the film came up, he draped his arms around me, giving me an overwhelming sense of security. As the opening credits continued to pop up on the screen, it was revealed that we were watching Grease, one of my all-time favourites!

Throughout the film, I sung along, reciting the whole film almost line for line. To my surprise, Jon knew most of the words too. By the end of the film we were up, singing and dancing together.

We exited the park and started walking nowhere in particular. We reached Hyde Park Corner tube station and we stopped just short of the entrance, Jon took both of my hands and said,

‘Ruby, recently I’ve realised, due to some very harsh words from your brother that I don’t come off very well with women. He said that I am a player and I don’t treat women right, I wanted to let you know that I’ll never do anything to hurt you. To prove that, I want to give you this’ he said, sincerity laced in each word he spoke. He handed me a small blue gift box with a silver bow on top.

I removed the lid and saw an iPod; this in itself was an amazing gesture. No one had ever bought me something this expensive. I took it from the box and looked at it, Jon then took it from me and said ‘Put the headphones on’ I did as instructed. He pressed play and The Beatles pop filled melodies sounded.

Jon handed me back the iPod and turned it over, engraved on the back were the words
'Now, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, will you be mine sometime?’ lyrics from the very song I was listening.

‘Oh Jon’ I said throwing my arms around him, planting a kiss on his lips.

‘Ruby, will you be my girlfriend?’ he asked bashfully.

I was unsure; of course I wanted to be his girlfriend, but Ryan seemed so adamant I shouldn’t be around Jon. Even though I hadn’t known him long, I still valued Ryan’s opinion a great deal. I voiced my concern to Jon.

‘What about Ryan?’

‘Now, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but screw Ryan. Do what your heart says. We’ll deal with anything Ryan can throw at us’ he said softly.

‘Okay’ I said.

‘Okay?’ he asked.

‘Okay, I’ll be your girlfriend!’ I squealed as I jumped into his arms.

As he put me down, I failed to stop a yawn escaping my lips.

‘Are you tired hun?’ he asked.

‘No, I’m fi-’ I was interrupted by yet another yawn, which caused my cheeks to redden
slightly.

‘Come on, I’m taking you back to our hotel’ I looked at him slightly confused ‘Well, I’m not letting you go all the way home, plus, our hotel is like five minutes from here’ he explained.

‘Okay’ I said quietly yawning again and leaning my head on Jon’s shoulder as we began the short walk back to the hotel.

Once we got to the hotel room which Jon was sharing with Spencer, he led me over to his bed and wrapped us in the quilt; he put his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead before I drifted off into a dream filled sleep.

RYAN’S POV

I got out of the shower after a good night’s sleep and went back into my room to get changed.

I looked around for my phone so I could text Ruby and ask if she wanted to hang out. After tearing the room apart, I decided to go and check in Spencer’s room. Brendon and I hung out for most of yesterday in there, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I left it in there.

I exited my room and quickly walked across the hall to Spence’s room, I was going to knock on the door, but it was still early, so I tried the door handle. Surprisingly, or not, it was open. I should tell Spencer to lock his door, one day that boy is going to get robbed for all he’s worth.

I tiptoed inside and looked around the room, I looked around, and I saw Spencer snoring loudly, Jon and Ruby asleep together. Wait, what, Jon and Ruby asleep together? I felt the anger rise up inside me, but I tried to keep calm, so I sat down in the chair by the window and looked out over the skyline of the cloudy city.

JON’S POV

Shit.

I woke up from the best sleep I’d ever had, to see Ryan sitting in the corner of the room. I looked down at Ruby; she looked so beautiful as she slept. I got up from the bed as quietly as possible, trying not to alert Ryan to the fact that I was awake. I tried and failed, as soon as I moved a squeak was omitted from the bedsprings and Ryan looked over at me.

I winced, expecting to see anger all over his face, but instead I was met with an expression of hurt, which somehow felt worse than any amount of anger ever could.

‘Ry,’ I started, but he cut me off.

‘Jon, I told you to stay away from her’ he said calmly, a little too calmly for my liking.

‘Ryan, I can expl-’

‘You can explain? After we argued the other day I really thought I’d gotten through to you. I guess I was wrong’ he said lowering his head.

‘Ryan, I really like her’ I said pleadingly.

‘Yeah,’ he said harshly ‘Like all those other girls over the years?’ he uttered, venom and sarcasm oozing from his words, his volume also rising slightly.

That hurt, I really didn’t think he’d even comprehend that I’d hurt his sister. As much as I might have messed other girls around, I wouldn’t do anything to hurt her.

‘You know what Ryan? I thought you have more faith in me’ my words getting louder and louder ‘I thought that maybe, just maybe, you’d think I might actually like her. Well, news flash Ry, I do like her. A lot. I might even love her!’ I shouted.

‘What?’ I heard Ruby’s sleepy voice ask.

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Very, very long! I hope it makes up for the wait, I couldn't update during the week like I planned, because I saw Fall Out Boy on Wednesday and then after that I felt ill, so I didn't get the chance to update until today.

Do you like it?

xx

Lola